Area: Apple II Roundtable -- Note #824 of 828
Date: Sat, 18 May 91 (00:48)
  To: All
From: Eagle-Eyes (Sysop)
Subj: Apple IIgs revival

All--> While I was on GEnie, I caught one of the A2-Central editors online,
        and started chatting with him.  What he told me was VERY
        interesting.

It appears that a new Apple II will be released with the new System
Software 6.0.  This part is a rumor, but there WILL be a new Apple II
released within the next year (and rumor has it that it will be released
along with SSW 6.0).  The A2-Central editor (who's first name I only know
as Chris) told me that the new Apple II will NOT be an "Amiga-killer", but
will be produced for mainly educational purposes.

He said that the new Apple II will come with 2 megs of memory as standard
(mainly for use with HyperCard GS).

When I asked him about the SSW 6.0, he said the following (paraphrasing):
"...SSW 6.0 will boast a similar speed improvement of 40-50% over SSW 5.0,
which is roughly equivalent to the speed improvement we saw between SSW 4.0
and 5.0 (and that's FAST!).  Also, SSW 6.0 will include 5 new ToolSets,
including MidiSynth, the Animation ToolKit, and the Modem Manager."

Another thing he mentioned about the new Apple II is that it might be able
to directly boot Macintosh HFS disks.

When I asked Chris whether these were rumors or not, he said they are NOT
rumors at ALL!  There WILL be a new Apple II released, but when, nobody
knows - not even Apple Computer, Inc.  But, there is speculation that the
new II will be released in conjunction with SSW 6.0.

(Just in case you're wondering about Apple's apparent "change of heart", it
seems that sales of the Mac LC are MUCH lower than Apple had expected.  It
seems that Apple has finally realized that schools would much rather buy
IBMs than Macintosh LCs, which is one of the main reasons Apple has decided
to support the Apple II once again.)

As for pricing, all Chris could say is that prices will be "significantly"
lower than they are now.

Let's just hope it isn't too late to revive interest among developers for
the Apple II...

                Eagle-Eyes

 /=@=\ AppleNET Origin: Eagle-Eyes' Emporium (514.1/1)
  ---  If at first you don't succeed at a program, trash it!

--
Michael Gammal		Concordia University    	gammal@Altitude.CAM.ORG

In article <1991May21.053346.20600@CAM.ORG> gammal@CAM.ORG (Michael Gammal) writes:
>Another thing he mentioned about the new Apple II is that it might be able
>to directly boot Macintosh HFS disks.

	Come ON. What is this supposed to mean? I interpret it two ways:

	(1) The 'Bridge' machine. If that were so, it would most likely be
called a new MAC and not a new Apple II.
	(2) Boot Apple II software off of HFS disks. I can imagine some sort
of "FST in ROM" or something, but it'd be pointless. (If it weren't an FST
in ROM, you'd have to be running 68000 code on a 65816.. yeahright...)

	Seems like a totally pointless idea unless it's the "bridge" machine,
and if that were so, I think the rumors'd be out about it too.

>When I asked Chris whether these were rumors or not, he said they are NOT
>rumors at ALL!  There WILL be a new Apple II released, but when, nobody

	Of COURSE it's a rumor. Until product X is announced (you could say
until it's shipped to stores and available for purchase, but that's a bit
much), it's still a rumor.

>(Just in case you're wondering about Apple's apparent "change of heart", it
>seems that sales of the Mac LC are MUCH lower than Apple had expected.  It

	Does anyone have any real #s on how well the LC is selling?
The Classic seems to be selling like hotcakes. (And in effect lowering Apple's
products...  Of course I understand why, but it's funny to have a product
selling in huge quantities, and then announce lower profits).

>Let's just hope it isn't too late to revive interest among developers for
>the Apple II...

	This one DOES seem almost impossible.. Unless it's a lot faster
and we can get Sierra involved again... {WRITE TO ORIGIN FOR ULTIMA VI GS!}

	God, even I am not getting very 'hopeful' anymore.. I've expected
System 6, but these 'new system' rumors really aren't cutting the mustard
anymore..  There've been enough rumors and no new products..
--
/unknown@ucscb.ucsc.edu       Apple IIGS Forever!        unknown@cats.ucsc.edu\
|WANT to help get ULTIMA VI //e or GS written?-mail me. CHEAP CD info-mail me.|

gwyn@smoke.brl.mil (Doug Gwyn) (05/22/91)

In article <1991May21.053346.20600@CAM.ORG> gammal@CAM.ORG (Michael Gammal) writes:
>Let's just hope it isn't too late to revive interest among developers for
>the Apple II...

I don't understand the rumor, as Apple spokesmen have also said that they
planned to introduce no new Apple II models.  However, I hope it's true..

Release of a new Apple II computer by Apple would certainly make fools
out of those software chains who said they stopped stocking Apple II
software because Apple had discontinued the product line.  However, the
damage has probably already been done.

In article <16224@smoke.brl.mil> gwyn@smoke.brl.mil (Doug Gwyn) writes:
.In <1991May21.053346.20600@CAM.ORG> gammal@CAM.ORG (Michael Gammal) writes:
.>Let's just hope it isn't too late to revive interest among developers for
.>the Apple II...
.I don't understand the rumor, as Apple spokesmen have also said that they
.planned to introduce no new Apple II models.  However, I hope it's true..

	I already mentioned in another post why I thought a lot of
the points in this latest rumor were even MORE bogus than past rumors..
(Bogus as in unbelievable and "less likely" to be true)

	But to be REALLY REALLY REALLY picky, I believe the Apple spokesman
said something to the effect of "We have no plans to introduce new
standalone Apple IIs this year".. Or maybe they didn't even say "this year"..
It was mentioned that those plans may change though..

	My picky point.. doesn't July start a new FISCAL year?

.Release of a new Apple II computer by Apple would certainly make fools
.out of those software chains who said they stopped stocking Apple II
.software because Apple had discontinued the product line.  However, the
.damage has probably already been done.

	Both of your points here are very valid..
--

MQUINN@UTCVM.BITNET (05/23/91)

On Wed, 22 May 91 01:25:36 GMT Doug Gwyn said:
>In article <1991May21.053346.20600@CAM.ORG> gammal@CAM.ORG (Michael Gammal)
> writes:
>>Let's just hope it isn't too late to revive interest among developers for
>>the Apple II...
>
>I don't understand the rumor, as Apple spokesmen have also said that they
>planned to introduce no new Apple II models.  However, I hope it's true..

Actually, they said something like, "We have no current plans for a new Apple I
II), which implies that they may in the future.

  BITNET--  mquinn@utcvm    <------------send files here
  pro-line-- mquinn@pro-gsplus.cts.com

rhyde@feller.ucr.edu (randy hyde) (05/23/91)

>> Hope it isn't too late to revive interest in the Apple // line.

There *were* 20 Apple II developers at the latest Apple shindig for system 7.0
Alas, there were 3,500 Mac developers. Sigh.
*** Randy Hyde

ericmcg@pnet91.cts.com (Eric Mcgillicuddy) (05/23/91)

A Rom03 and a mostly full Apple memory card give you a 2Meg system. Everything
else is just standard system software upgrades.

I think new hardware is a bit much to expect, but the software will keep on
getting better.

Would mind being able to "Print" from the Finder to get a hardcopy list of my
folders though.

UUCP: bkj386!pnet91!ericmcg
INET: ericmcg@pnet91.cts.com

philip@utstat.uucp (Philip McDunnough) (05/23/91)

In article <14646@ucrmath.ucr.edu> rhyde@feller.ucr.edu (randy hyde) writes:

>>> Hope it isn't too late to revive interest in the Apple // line.
>
>There *were* 20 Apple II developers at the latest Apple shindig for system 7.0
>Alas, there were 3,500 Mac developers. Sigh.
>*** Randy Hyde

So, what does numbers have to do with anything. If that were the case then
NeXT users would worry, PC users would rejoice and Mac users would be
wondering what will happen as developers come out with Windows3.0
applications which can't be had on the Mac( To my amazement MathCad 3.0
for Windows will have around 85% of Maple built in, have a graphical
interface for Maple, be a mathematical typing tool, etc...-> my MathCad
for the Mac was equated to the "old" PC MathCad, even though it is fairly
new, and MathSoft has no plans of upgrading it at this time.).

Keep in mind the number of people that created C and Unix.

Philip McDunnough
University of Toronto
philip@utstat.utoronto.ca
[my opinions,...]

dlyons@Apple.COM (David A Lyons) (05/23/91)

In article <16224@smoke.brl.mil> gwyn@smoke.brl.mil (Doug Gwyn) writes:
>[...]
>I don't understand the rumor, as Apple spokesmen have also said that they
>planned to introduce no new Apple II models.  However, I hope it's true..

I believe they said there were "no plans at this time for new Apple II
CPUs."  We reserve the right to make plans, or to have already made them
but not announced anything yet.

>Release of a new Apple II computer by Apple would certainly make fools
>out of those software chains who said they stopped stocking Apple II
>software because Apple had discontinued the product line.

They've already made fools of themselves, in the eyes of any customer
who double-checks what they were told.
--
David A. Lyons, Apple Computer, Inc.      |   DAL Systems
Apple II System Software Engineer         |   P.O. Box 875

My opinions are my own, not Apple's.

dlyons@Apple.COM (David A Lyons) (05/23/91)

In article <14646@ucrmath.ucr.edu> rhyde@feller.ucr.edu (randy hyde) writes:

>>> Hope it isn't too late to revive interest in the Apple // line.
>
>There *were* 20 Apple II developers at the latest Apple shindig for system 7.0
>Alas, there were 3,500 Mac developers. Sigh.
>*** Randy Hyde

Yup, and there were close to 20 Apple II folks from Apple there, too (at
least on Friday, when the Apple II sessions were).  At least the Apple-
to-developer ratio was better on the Apple II side!  :)

KansasFest in July will have a much higher Apple II-to-Mac ratio.  For
information on KansasFest, call A2-Central at +1 913 469 6502.
--

toddpw@nntp-server.caltech.edu (Todd P. Whitesel) (05/23/91)

dlyons@Apple.COM (David A Lyons) writes:

>They've already made fools of themselves, in the eyes of any customer
>who double-checks what they were told.

Ah, here lies the irony. Dave, 99% of Apple's current customer base are
computer illiterates who _don't_ double check what they are told. On the
contrary, most of them rely on the salespeople for their information,
although quite a few were warned about _Apple_ salesmen and know that they
are blood sucking vultures. We even suspect our local dealership of tampering
with System 7 DiskCopy images to encourage sales of the $99.00 manual package.
(Correct me if I'm wrong, but the public release of DiskCopy can't save
an image file -- I hope so, for security reasons.)

Apple's sales/distribution force has had a long and sordid history of pissing
off customers. If Apple sent incognito observers to their dealerships they'd
have a VERY eye-opening experience.

Todd Whitesel
toddpw @ tybalt.caltech.edu