[comp.sys.apple2] Apple letting go of people

larry@lablues.UUCP (Lawrance A. Schneider) (05/22/91)

I wonder if all of the people will be letting go will be the last remaining
Apple II diehards.  I HOPE NOT - both for me and for THEM!!!!

cmcurtin@bluemoon.uucp (Matthew Curtin) (05/22/91)

larry@lablues.UUCP (Lawrance A. Schneider) writes:

> I wonder if all of the people will be letting go will be the last remaining
> Apple II diehards.  I HOPE NOT - both for me and for THEM!!!!

Surely you jest.  With as many people still preaching the "Apple II
Forever," new shareware, and support from companies like Vitesse, the
Apple II still has quite a bit of life left...

| C. Matthew Curtin             ! Maybe the people with the most answers      |

| P.O. Box 27081                ! have solved the most problems.              |

| Columbus, OH 43227-0081       !---------------------------------------------|

| cmcurtin@bluemoon.uucp        !              Apple II Forever!              |

dlyons@Apple.COM (David A Lyons) (05/23/91)

In article <RJ4B31w164w@lablues.UUCP> larry@lablues.UUCP (Lawrance A. Schneider) writes:
>I wonder if all of the people will be letting go will be the last remaining
>Apple II diehards.  I HOPE NOT - both for me and for THEM!!!!

My group is intending (hoping) not to be hit too hard by the layoffs.  We'll
see.

Definitely not *all* of the people laid off will be Apple II diehards...we
don't account for nearly 10% of the workforce! :-)
--
David A. Lyons, Apple Computer, Inc.      |   DAL Systems
Apple II System Software Engineer         |   P.O. Box 875

My opinions are my own, not Apple's.

toddpw@nntp-server.caltech.edu (Todd P. Whitesel) (05/23/91)

dlyons@Apple.COM (David A Lyons) writes:

>My group is intending (hoping) not to be hit too hard by the layoffs.  We'll
>see.
>Definitely not *all* of the people laid off will be Apple II diehards...we
>don't account for nearly 10% of the workforce! :-)

I don't think you have much to worry about, Dave. It looks to me as if
Apple's bailing some dead weight now that System 7 is finished.

Todd Whitesel
toddpw @ tybalt.caltech.edu

lonewolf@ersys.edmonton.ab.ca (Benoy Koshy) (05/23/91)

cmcurtin@bluemoon.uucp (Matthew Curtin) writes:

[some other guy's stuff deleted...]

> Surely you jest.  With as many people still preaching the "Apple II
> Forever," new shareware, and support from companies like Vitesse, the
> Apple II still has quite a bit of life left...

Who exactly is Vitesse, what have they made?  Also I haven't really seen
any new shareware, other than the usual Shrinkit for the Apple computers.
No actual programs that is, demos don't count really...

 Lone Wolf                      lonewolf@ersys.edmonton.ab.ca
  ________ |______________________________________________________
 [|_|_|_|_||_____________________________________________________/
 ~        ~'       "I have only come here seeking Knowledge..."

cmcurtin@bluemoon.uucp (Matthew Curtin) (05/23/91)

lonewolf@ersys.edmonton.ab.ca (Benoy Koshy) writes:

> Who exactly is Vitesse, what have they made?  Also I haven't really seen
> any new shareware, other than the usual Shrinkit for the Apple computers.
> No actual programs that is, demos don't count really...

Vitesse is a fairly new company to the world of Apple II.  You've probably
heard of the hand-held scanner "Quickie".  They make that in addition to
drivers that will allow GS users to use non-apple laser printers (i.e., HP
LaserJets, DeskWriters, etc) and HD utilities.  Thier software is
excellent.

ShareWare is all over the place.  User groups would be able to get tons of
it to you, as would Apple II clubs like Big Red Computer Club.  Write Big
Red and ask for a catalog of their stuff (it's all public
domain/shareware).
                Big Red Computer
                423 Norfolk Ave
                Norfolk, NE  68701-5234

I think you'll be surprised at just how much is available to you.