[comp.sys.apple2] Virus stuff

swalker@phobos.unm.edu () (05/24/91)

	A couple o' questions about virus stuff:
1)   I just got the Exorciser from Vitesse and I was wondering
     if there are any other disinfect modules besides CyberAIDS,
     Festering Hate, Lode Runner, and Blackout.

2)   Does anyone know of a virus that screws up block $09 and
     deletes folders?

3)   Does anyone have a list of all II and IIgs viruses and what
     they do?

Thanx.

Scott Walker
swalker@phobos.unm.edu
Apple is gnarly to the max dude.

fadden@cory.Berkeley.EDU (Andy McFadden) (05/24/91)

In article <1991May23.230510.28953@ariel.unm.edu> swalker@phobos.unm.edu writes:
>1)   I just got the Exorciser from Vitesse and I was wondering
>     if there are any other disinfect modules besides CyberAIDS,
>     Festering Hate, Lode Runner, and Blackout.

Just to add to the continuing Vitesse vs ProSel-16 wars:

"Virus protection

When ProSel-16 is asked to launch a program, it automatically checks for known
viruses and will not allow such files to be launched.  The viruses currently
checked for are "Cyber-Aids", "Festering Hate", and "Burp".  The rather
different viruses "Load Runner" and "Screen blanker" are checked for in
memory and eliminated ... When ProSel-16 detects a virus, you will be so
informed."

(Page 7 of the printed manual, received with version 8.69 (or so...).)

--
fadden@cory.berkeley.edu (Andy McFadden)
..!ucbvax!cory!fadden

mock@iris.ucdavis.edu (Kenrick J. Mock) (05/24/91)

Apparently the Star Fighter II virus has been floating around lately
as well.  I don't know much about it, other than the fact that
Photonix will identify it when copying disks.  I'm assuming it's a
boot-block type virus.

Anyway, I know a couple of people who are convinced they have it, and
claim it does weird crashes of their computer and writes junk into
their folders and hard drives.

    "When you make your mark in the world, watch out for guys with erasers."
      - Wall Street Journal.
GEnie : K.MOCK        Net : mock@iris.ucdavis.edu, mock@alderon.lanl.gov