[comp.sys.apple2] Spin off company

chiu@ucsee.Berkeley.EDU (James Chiu) (05/25/91)

In article <6F970AB82F5F8158CC@vax5.cit.cornell.edu> WRDJ@VAX5.CIT.CORNELL.EDU ("In a night without day, on a road without end.") writes:

[Stuff Deleted]

>4) What do you all think of the idea of creating a new company and trying to
>buy the Apple II from Apple?  I mean, if they don't really *want* it, why not
>turn the sucker over to people who care for it?  (Far-fetched, I know, but
>leave no stone unturned....M00se Illuminati Computers?  Hmmmm...)

The idea of an Apple II-Only company occured to me several times in the past
(started when Claris was... born). I've always thought that if Apple isn't
thrilled in supporting the IIs, why not have a spin off company to do it
instead? That way, if Apple II still die of a horrible death, Apple can say
'well, it had its chance' and not be blamed by all the II faithfuls for
intentionally handicapping support for IIs...

>Replies, personal or public, nasty or nice, are welcome.
>
>Bill Dickson
>WRDJ@CRNLVAX5.BITNET

philip@utstat.uucp (Philip McDunnough) (05/25/91)

In article <1991May25.054049.14381@agate.berkeley.edu> chiu@ucsee.Berkeley.EDU writes:

[more re spinning off AppleII, lack of support]

A lot of assumptions are implied here.(1) Apple doesn't care about the
AppleII- that is not at all clear->seems to me they care a lot.

(2)No support?-> this is nonsense. Apple supports the GS in superb ways for
   a computer that probably would receive no attention by any other of
   their competitors. They are the same with their Mac's by the way. To those
   who think a Risc Mac will mean the end of the 68k ones( from a support
   point of view), they are simply not aguing in a factual way.

Apple has things I don't agree with, but support of the GS isn't one. Besides
it's hard to keep pushing that argument when AppleII() buyers are not noted for
purchasing/using all the software we keep seeing asked for. Frankly, it is
a bit annoying to see people complaining about the lack of software when
rather good software rarely is bought. The GS is a very nice personal micro.
It isn't a powerhouse, and it doesn't have to be one.In my opinion Apple
is pursuing a reasonable path in upgrading the system software, adding
more connectivity to the Mac and Appletalk networks,etc...It may be about
time to speed it up a bit( although at $149 from Zip, that's hardly an
issue), but more importantly to add better video and more peripherals in
common with the Mac( such as a 1.44 floppy).

A major part of the future lies in close integration with TV's and other
family items. The GS could position itself there. CD-ROM's could and should
start playing a more important role. At least they can't be duplicated
easily.

The GS is not a leading edge computer, but so what. Now if you were to talk
price, that would be another matter.

Philip McDunnough
Unversity of Toronto
philip@utsat.utoronto.ca