[comp.sys.apple2] Soundsmith Problem

carndt@NIKE.CALPOLY.EDU (Chris Arndt) (05/26/91)

I just ftp'd Soundsmith and tried to run it. When I did, it crashed into the
monitor during loading, with the message
"Could not load tools. Error was $0046."

Can someone tell me what this means, and how to fix it? I'm
running GSOS 5.0.4.

Thanks,
Chris Arndt  carndt@pan.calpoly

taob@micor.ocunix.on.ca (Brian Tao) (05/26/91)

carndt@NIKE.CALPOLY.EDU (Chris Arndt) writes:

> I just ftp'd Soundsmith and tried to run it. When I did, it crashed into the
> monitor during loading, with the message
> "Could not load tools. Error was $0046."

    I think this question should be included in the next revision of the
comp.sys.apple2 FAQ list... ;-)  What kind of system do you have, i.e.: hard
drive, one-floppy, or two-floppy setup?  The system disk MUST be online when
SoundSmith goes looking for the tools.  Otherwise it crashes (this is a
fault on Huibert Aalbers' part).  That means it won't work on a
single-floppy system unless you copy the program disk onto a RAM disk.  Make
sure you have all the required tools in your System folder as well.  In
particular, the MIDI toolset (the number escapes me at the moment; hopefully
somebody else will remind me).

--
Brian T. Tao   *B-)  |  taob@micor.ocunix.on.ca  |  "Though this be
2705-1510 Riverside  |           - or -          |   madness, yet there

steve@pro-hindugods.cts.com (Steve Fenwick) (05/27/91)

Error $46 means "File not found".   You're probably missing some tools.
You should get the errors CDA - it's really useful.

Steve
Steve
-------
CoSysop: pro-hindugods