[comp.sys.apple2] Apple System 7

davewh@microsoft.UUCP (05/14/91)

I dunno if Apple will post this directly, but I figured I would. Take
careful note:

APPLE  BEGINS  SHIPPING  SYSTEM  7:  MORE THAN 100 NEW THIRD-PARTY PRODUCTS
    ANNOUNCED

DATE:  May 13, 1991       08:15 EDT       WORD COUNT:  681

    SAN JOSE, Calif., May 13 /PRNewswire/ -- Apple Computer Inc.
(NASDAQ: AAPL) today announced to more than 2,000 Macintosh computer
software and hardware developers that it is shipping System 7, the
much-anticipated upgrade to the Macintosh operating system and the
most significant enhancement to Macintosh since its introduction in
1984.  The announcement took place at the annual Apple Worldwide
Developers Conference in San Jose.

    Today's System 7 announcement follows a string of actions taken
by the company to expand the Macintosh product family to appeal to a
much greater number of users.  Last fall, Apple announced three new
low-cost Macintosh computers, which have enjoyed brisk sales
worldwide.  In March, Apple lowered prices on the rest of its
Macintosh product line and also announced two new affordable
printers.  Today, with its new System 7, Apple offers all Macintosh
users a significant advance forward with even greater ease of use and
powerful new features for their current Macintosh system.

    "Macintosh system software is Apple's greatest strength, and we
intend to use this advantage aggressively to become a much bigger
player in the industry," said John Sculley, Apple's chairman and
chief executive officer.  "Our system software has set a standard
that others have struggled to meet.  System 7 sets a new standard,
thereby widening the gap between what one can do with a computer, and
what one can do with a Macintosh."

    System 7 strengthens the Macintosh computer's usability
immediately with built-in features that automatically work with
thousands of new and currently shipping Macintosh applications.  Some
of these features include a new Finder, or "desktop," which makes
using the Macintosh even easier; TrueType, which ensures sharp type
quality at any size; File Sharing, which allows any user to share
designated items with any other user over a network without a
dedicated file server; Virtual Memory, which provides expanded
availability of the computer's memory for programs; and Multitasking,
which allows customers to work with multiple applications and perform
several tasks concurrently.
    System 7 also includes many new technologies for developers to
promote more cooperation between different applications and among
groups of users, and to fuel new, innovative applications software
for the Macintosh.  The Macintosh is the only personal computer to
offer the benefits of these technologies over a network.  Some of
these new features include InterApplication Communication (IAC) and
Data Access Manager.  Based on these, and other new technologies,
developers have already created more than 100 new applications,
giving users completely new ways to use computers.

    Industry support of System 7 has been extremely strong.  All
major developers now have products that are compatible with System 7.
Some of these developers include Claris Corp., Microsoft Corp.,
Ashton-Tate, Oracle Corp., Autodesk Inc., Symantec Corp., Aldus
Corp., Acius Inc        ?
?       L?7y?Y4*~>]Y{>h?ro\026
Z?\024\025\005t Plain?s7?u3Q;\005re,
Farallon Computing Inc., Interleaf Inc., WordPerfect Corp., and
Novell Inc.  In addition, Apple expects most of the more than
4,000 Macintosh applications currently shipping to be compatible with
the new System 7.

    In the United States, Apple has announced immediate availability
of two System 7 upgrade products through authorized resellers.  A
personal upgrade kit, with all the tools and documentation to upgrade
a single computer to System 7, is available for $99 manufacturer's
suggested retail price (MSRP), and a group upgrade kit, with special
tools to assist in upgrading an entire office or organization to
System 7, is available for $349 (MSRP).  Both kits also include free
phone support from Apple (the personal upgrade kit for 90 days and
the group upgrade kit for 180 days).  Beginning immediately in the
United States, every new Macintosh computer sold will include a
coupon for a free System 7 upgrade.  Beginning this summer in the
United States, Apple will include System 7 in the box with all new
Macintosh computers.  Availability, pricing, upgrade kit contents and
support options outside the United States will vary by country.

    NOTE: Apple, the Apple logo, Finder and Macintosh are registered
trademarks of Apple Computer Inc.  Balloon Help and TrueType are
trademarks of Apple Computer Inc.

    CONTACT:  Brooke Cohan of Apple Computer Inc., 408-974-3019

    (AAPL)

    COMPANY NAME:    APPLE COMPUTER INC.
    TICKER SYMBOL:   AAPL (NDQ)
    PRODUCT:         COMPUTER, ELECTRONICS (CPR)
    DESCRIPTORS:     NEW PRODUCTS & SERVICES (PDT)
    STATE:           CALIFORNIA (CA)
    SECTION HEADING: BUSINESS

I'm surprised! Apple's charging significant money for system
upgrades! I suppsoe this is much along the lines as GS/OS upgrades,
where the $99 buys lots of books. What if joe user just wants the
software? Is that free? Just curious...

Dave Whitney	Microsoft Corp, Work Group Apps  dcw@goldilocks.lcs.mit.edu or
I wrote Z-Link and BinSCII - send me bug reports. {...}!uunet!microsoft!davewh
I only work here. All opinions herein aren't Bill's, they're mine.
"We're samplin' - Yeah we're doin' it. We take good music an' we ruin it."
   -- "Rap Isn't Music"

daveh@ccwf.cc.utexas.edu (Dave Huang) (05/15/91)

In article <9105142334.AA07351@beaver.cs.washington.edu> davewh@microsoft.UUCP writes:
>I'm surprised! Apple's charging significant money for system
>upgrades! I suppsoe this is much along the lines as GS/OS upgrades,
>where the $99 buys lots of books. What if joe user just wants the
>software? Is that free? Just curious...

Yes, check out comp.sys.mac.system... If you just want the software,
you can get it for free. It's even on ftp.apple.com, although it's
currently down due to the many FTPers that want System 7.

--
David Huang                                 |
Internet: daveh@ccwf.cc.utexas.edu          |     "Help! My ganglion is

MQUINN@UTCVM.BITNET (05/15/91)

[in reference to mac system 7]
>I'm surprised! Apple's charging significant money for system
>upgrades! I suppsoe this is much along the lines of GS/OS upgrades,
>where the $99 buys lots of books. What if joe user just wants the
>software? Is that free? Just curious...

I asked a mac guru that yesterday and he said it is.

  BITNET--  mquinn@utcvm    <------------send files here
  pro-line-- mquinn@pro-gsplus.cts.com

jdeitch@umiami.ir.miami.edu (Jonathan Deitch) (05/16/91)

> [...]
>
>     CONTACT:  Brooke Cohan of Apple Computer Inc., 408-974-3019
>
>     (AAPL)
>
>     COMPANY NAME:    APPLE COMPUTER INC.
>     TICKER SYMBOL:   AAPL (NDQ)
>     PRODUCT:         COMPUTER, ELECTRONICS (CPR)
>     DESCRIPTORS:     NEW PRODUCTS & SERVICES (PDT)
>     STATE:           CALIFORNIA (CA)
>     SECTION HEADING: BUSINESS
>
> I'm surprised! Apple's charging significant money for system
> upgrades! I suppsoe this is much along the lines as GS/OS upgrades,
> where the $99 buys lots of books. What if joe user just wants the
> software? Is that free? Just curious...
>
> Dave Whitney	Microsoft Corp, Work Group Apps  dcw@goldilocks.lcs.mit.edu or
> I wrote Z-Link and BinSCII - send me bug reports. {...}!uunet!microsoft!davewh
> I only work here. All opinions herein aren't Bill's, they're mine.
> "We're samplin' - Yeah we're doin' it. We take good music an' we ruin it."

Here at the University of Miami, we are providing free copies of System 7 to
our customers, providing that they bring their own disks - 8 HD disks or 10
800k disks.  We also provide them with a 1-900 number for support (note : this
is different from the support number you get with the upgrade kits).

As an aside, in USA today this week and next week, there is a two page ad for
the new system.  Funny thing is, a mouse cord is shown plugging into an office
building to show productivity.  This building happens to be the IBM Tower
in Atlanta - Big Blue's southeast headquarters !

Being from Atlanta, I found this quite amusing ....   :-)

'til later ...

- Jonathan

jdeitch@umiami.miami.edu

Internet : jdeitch@umiami.miami.edu               | "Good musicians execute
------------------------------------------------- |  their music but bad ones
"I'm a Time Lord.  I walk in eternity !" - Dr Who |  murder it !!! "

ericmcg@pnet91.cts.com (Eric Mcgillicuddy) (05/16/91)

>I dunno if Apple will post this directly, but I figured I would. Take
>careful note:
>
>APPLE  BEGINS  SHIPPING  SYSTEM  7:  MORE THAN 100 NEW THIRD-PARTY PRODUCTS
>    ANNOUNCED
>
>Dave Whitney    Microsoft Corp, Work Group Apps  dcw@goldilocks.lcs.mit.edu
or

Why do I care? Unless it has a mode that lets it run on a Gs, it really isn't
of much use is it. I don't think any of the features of System7 hold any
relevance to Apple II users, not even TrueType at this time, certainly not
IAC, balloon help or 32-bit clean ROMs.

If you think this is appropriate why not a comparative study of System7,
Workbench 3.0 and GEOS (on all three of its supported platforms)? While you
are at it don't forget to copy the post to comp.sys.Amiga, atari, ibm, ti, and
nintendo.

I'll chill out it a few minutes, but damn if this doesn't peeve me!

UUCP: bkj386!pnet91!ericmcg
INET: ericmcg@pnet91.cts.com

philip@utstat.uucp (Philip McDunnough) (05/16/91)

In article <729@generic.UUCP> ericmcg@pnet91.cts.com (Eric Mcgillicuddy) writes:
>>I dunno if Apple will post this directly, but I figured I would. Take
>>careful note:
>>
>>APPLE  BEGINS  SHIPPING  SYSTEM  7:  MORE THAN 100 NEW THIRD-PARTY PRODUCTS
>>    ANNOUNCED
>>
>>Dave Whitney    Microsoft Corp, Work Group Apps  dcw@goldilocks.lcs.mit.edu
>or
>
>Why do I care? Unless it has a mode that lets it run on a Gs, it really isn't
>of much use is it. I don't think any of the features of System7 hold any
>relevance to Apple II users, not even TrueType at this time, certainly not
>IAC, balloon help or 32-bit clean ROMs.

But surely personal Appleshare must be regarded as important for GS users.

Philip McDunnough
University of Toronto
philip@utstat.utoronto.ca

ericmcg@pnet91.cts.com (Eric Mcgillicuddy) (05/17/91)

>Here at the University of Miami, we are providing free copies of System 7 to
>our customers, providing that they bring their own disks - 8 HD disks or 10
>800k disks.  We also provide them with a 1-900 number for support (note :
this
>is different from the support number you get with the upgrade kits).
>
>'til later ...
>
>- Jonathan
>
>jdeitch@umiami.miami.edu

You quoted the entire Apple press release and the original posters sig just to
make this point????  What the hell for? I think you should cut down on your
clipboard addiction, OD'ing like this is bad for you health.

My apologies to the rest of the readers, but this is just igorant.

UUCP: bkj386!pnet91!ericmcg
INET: ericmcg@pnet91.cts.com

ericmcg@pnet91.cts.com (Eric Mcgillicuddy) (05/17/91)

>But surely personal Appleshare must be regarded as important for GS users.
>
>Philip McDunnough

If it runs on a GS certainly. I would love to network a room full of GS's
together, but what does the Mac have to do with it? If you can use an SE grade
of machine as a server then there is no reason why a GS can not also.
Personally, networking all brands of computeris is a good idea, we are doing
it now, but making one brand mandatory is not. IMHO.

UUCP: bkj386!pnet91!ericmcg
INET: ericmcg@pnet91.cts.com

philip@utstat.uucp (Philip McDunnough) (05/18/91)

In article <736@generic.UUCP> ericmcg@pnet91.cts.com (Eric Mcgillicuddy) writes:
>>But surely personal Appleshare must be regarded as important for GS users.
>>
>>Philip McDunnough
>
>If it runs on a GS certainly. I would love to network a room full of GS's
>together, but what does the Mac have to do with it? If you can use an SE grade
>of machine as a server then there is no reason why a GS can not also.

But the days of a room full of just GS's are probably over. The fate of the
GS lies in its ability to fit in with Mac's. The converse is not true.
I may not like, but that appears to be the reality. It's very odd how
Apple has handled the GS.

Philip McDunnough
University of Toronto
philip@utstat.utoronto.ca
[my opinions,...]

mdavis@pro-sol.cts.com (Morgan Davis) (05/18/91)

} I don't think any of the features of System7 hold any
} relevance to Apple II users, not even TrueType at this time, certainly not
} IAC, balloon help or 32-bit clean ROMs.
} I'll chill out it a few minutes, but damn if this doesn't peeve me!

Whoa, cool off.

You're right about 90% of System 7 not having much impact on IIGS users,
except you left out the 10% that does: File Sharing.

If you have a Mac nearby running System 7, your IIGS can access its files as
if the Mac were just an external hard disk attached to your IIGS.  Your IIGS
can store and retrieve all types of files on the Mac's drive.  Sure, you
could do this before System 7, but it required a dedicated Macintosh to act
as an AppleShare file server.  Now, any standalone Mac can be used to do Mac
things while doing file serving for a IIGS in the background.

This has a tremendous advantage for Apple II developers who have grown tired
of less-than-adequate native development tools, and who have discovered how
incredibly powerful a Mac with MPW can be for creating Apple II and IIGS
software.  Before, you could build your application on the Mac, and then
transfer it over to a ProDOS 3.5" disk, to be placed into your IIGS to test
the code.  But with File Sharing under System 7, you can build the application
on the Mac and run it from the IIGS right off the Mac's drive.  No floppy
shuffle involved.

This may have benefit for non-developers as well.  Using a Mac's drive to
share files with a IIGS or IIe means that you can use a decent hard
disk backup program on the Mac to backup your Apple II files -- in
the background, too.

So what's a Mac got to do with Apple II computing?  Everyday, I'm reminded
that it is an integral part of my Apple II software development -- much in
the sense that a good programmer's calculator (i.e., HP-16C) has been a great
help to me in writing Apple II assembly.  Good tools come in all sizes, and
the Mac is turning out to be one of the best software development platforms
you'll find anywhere.  This makes it easier for us to create GREAT Apple II
products.  The better our tools get (e.g., the Coming Of Seven), the better
the results of our work.

Don't knock it.

UUCP: crash!pro-sol!mdavis           AOL, BIX: mdavis
ARPA: crash!pro-sol!mdavis@nosc.mil  GEnie:    m.davis42
INET: mdavis@pro-sol.cts.com         ProLine:  mdavis@pro-sol

davewh@microsoft.UUCP (05/21/91)

Eric Mcgillicuddy complains that I posted a seemingly irrelevant
article about Mac System 7.

I was trying to point out that Apple has released a new system for
the Mac, and it ain't free. Did you read the whole article or just
punt right away?

On the other hand, who's to say that none of these features
absolutely won't appear in future versions of GS/OS? Keep an open
mind and see what other computers are capable of. Geez, maybe someday
yours will do it too. What a goof you'll look like when you say "ha!
My GS can do this and the great and high Mac can't!" when it has been
able to already.

Look me straight in the eye and tell me you have absolutely no
interest whatsoever on what the Mac can do. Believe or not, like or
not, the Mac is what is keeping Apple afloat these days and a big
failure on the Mac's part means certain doom for the company - which
immediately means no more Apple // development. On the other hand, a
big success (which I think System 7 will be) means future growth and
continued support where it exists now.

philip@utstat.uucp (Philip McDunnough) (05/23/91)

In article <9105221756.AA28631@beaver.cs.washington.edu> davewh@microsoft.UUCP writes:

>Eric Mcgillicuddy complains that I posted a seemingly irrelevant
>article about Mac System 7.
>
>I was trying to point out that Apple has released a new system for
>the Mac, and it ain't free. Did you read the whole article or just
>punt right away?

What do you mean it isn't free? You can get it as before. Buy it( and
receive free support for x days), ftp it for free, upgrade your older
system for free at a reasonable dealer,etc...). Nothing has changed.

Philip McDunnough
University of Toronto
philip@utstat.utoronto.ca
[my opinions,...]

nrunyon%peruvian.utah.edu@cs.utah.edu (The Third Bard) (05/23/91)

In article <1991May22.203833.19900@utstat.uucp> philip@utstat.uucp (Philip McDunnough) writes:
>In article <9105221756.AA28631@beaver.cs.washington.edu> davewh@microsoft.UUCP writes:
>>
>>I was trying to point out that Apple has released a new system for
>>the Mac, and it ain't free. Did you read the whole article or just
>>punt right away?
>
>What do you mean it isn't free? You can get it as before. Buy it( and
>receive free support for x days), ftp it for free, upgrade your older
>system for free at a reasonable dealer,etc...). Nothing has changed.
>
>Philip McDunnough

	I think what you will find is that it is like system 5.0 for the
GS.  You can just copy it from a dealer, OR you can buy it for a small fee.
$99.00 for system 7.0 (System 5.0 for the GS cost about $40.00 at the time).
	When you buy it, you get all the neat little Apple manuals and stuff.
Probably worthwhile for some people and/or companies, but not a must.

	Neil -

------------ TBW (The Bird Watch) Sports - Baltimore Orioles! -------------
Neil M. Runyon		     | What is TWB Sports?  Finger me and find out!
University of Utah - CS Dept | "The Few. The Proud. The Stupid. The Inept."
nrunyon@peruvian.utah.edu    | 	          - Phule's Company [Robert Asprin]

mdavis@pro-sol.cts.com (Morgan Davis) (05/24/91)

On Thu May 23, Invader@cup.portal.com wrote:
} I have a IIgs and a Mac running System 7.0.  How do I get info on setting
} up my IIgs so that it can access stuff on the Mac over the network?
}       mkd

It's real easy to do, and it's a really cool thing to do.

BEFORE YOU START:

1.  Turn off both machines.
2.  You'll need to connect your Mac and IIGS with LocalTalk cabling and
    connectors.
3.  Use PhoneNet connectors and standard RJ-11 modular phone cables
    instead of Apple(R) Brand AppleTalk(R) parts.  You'll save a bundle.
4.  PhoneNet products are real popular, but I've had good performance
    from other vendors (HyperNet, TurboNet, etc.) for about half the
    cost of PhoneNet brand parts.
5.  Both your Mac and IIGS will require a PhoneNet connector box, they
    plug into the Printer Port.
6.  Attach a phone cable from the Mac to the IIGS.  Put a terminating
    resistor (comes with the PhoneNet parts) into the second plug on the
    IIGS's connector.  (And one on the Mac if it has an open plug, too).
    (Side note: Most Macs are connected to an AppleTalk-compatible
     printer, chances are that you've already got these things connected
     to the Mac and its PhoneNet box is already terminated.  If so, just
     move the resistor from the Mac's box to the IIGS's, and connect
     the two boxes with one phone cord.)
7.  Startup both computers.
8.  Make sure that AppleTalk is enabled in the IIGS's Slots control panel.
    If you have to turn it on, you'll need to restart your IIGS after
    quitting the Control Panel.

ON THE SYSTEM 7 MACINTOSH:

Turn On File Sharing
--------------------
1.  Open the Sharing Setup control panel
2.  Fill out the Owner Name, Password, and Macintosh name boxes
3.  Turn File Sharing ON
4.  Turn Program Linking ON (if you want it)
5.  Close it

Create A New User
-----------------
1.  Open the Users & Groups control panel
2.  From the File menu, choose New User
3.  Name the new user the name you've chosen for your IIGS
    (Side note: My Mac's name is "Morgan", my IIGS's name is "Ryan",
     my eight-month-old son.  There is a human:computer size
     correlation that I couldn't ignore when thinking up names.)
4.  Open the new user's icon
5.  Enter the password that your IIGS will use to connect to your Mac
6.  Click the File Sharing options as desired
7.  Click the Program Linking option if you want it
8.  Close this user
9.  Close the Users & Groups window

Select Sharable Items
---------------------
1.  From the Finder, select the items or folders you want to share
2.  Choose "Sharing..." from the File menu
3.  Set the options as desired for sharing with certain users or groups
4.  Save the settings

ON THE SYSTEM 6.0.7 APPLE IIGS:

Install AppleShare
------------------
1.  Use System 6.0.7 Installer and install AppleShare
2.  Quit the Installer and restart your system
3.  You'll be asked to select a name for your IIGS, enter the same
    name as the New User you set up previously on the Mac.

Connect To The Mac
------------------
1.  In the IIGS Finder, choose Control Panel from the Apple menu
2.  Select the AppleShare control panel device
3.  Select the file server listed -- should be the name of your Mac
4.  Connect as a "Registered User"
5.  Enter your IIGS's password as set up on the Mac
6.  Click OK

Select Server Volumes
---------------------
1.  Select the server volumes from the list that you want to open
2.  Click the check boxes if you want those items to be opened at start up
3.  Decide if you want your "name only" or "name and password" saved for
    subsequent connections when you startup.  "Name only" is good if your
    machines are in an office environment and you need extra security.
4.  Click OK
5.  Close the Control Panel

You should now see the selected server volumes on your desktop.  You're
ready to start working with shared files!

SOME NOTES
==========

Filenames
---------
There appears to be some trouble on the IIGS in accessing folders and files
on on the Mac that ARE NOT legal ProDOS file names.  You'll want to make
sure that all the files and folders on the Mac have names that are legal to
ProDOS so that you can access them from your IIGS.

Catalog
-------
If you use APW or the ORCA/Shell, don't use the built in CATALOG command to
view a server volume's contents.  Mike Westerfield hasn't made his shell
AppleShare-friendly *yet*, and thus you get errors trying to access those
volumes with the CATALOG command.  Use the "Files -l" tool instead to mimic
the CATALOG command for now.

Text Files
----------
If you create files from your IIGS on a server volume, notably text files,
you can change their type *from the Macintosh* to TEXT with a creator of
your favorite text editor or word processor (e.g. "ttxt" for TeachText).
Now you can easily view text files that your IIGS created on your Mac's
disk.

MPW
---
If you're using MPW 3.1 to develop Apple IIGS software, you'll need to get
it updated to 3.2, as 3.1 won't run under System 7.  And if you switch to
System 6.0.7 to run MPW 3.1, you lose File Sharing abilities.  It's a real
headache -- especially since APDA still hasn't made MPW 3.2 available! Call
APDA and bug them to hurry up.

--Morgan Davis

toddpw@nntp-server.caltech.edu (Todd P. Whitesel) (05/24/91)

mdavis@pro-sol.cts.com (Morgan Davis) writes:

>2.  You'll need to connect your Mac and IIGS with LocalTalk cabling and
>    connectors.

Only if one of them is already using LocalTalk. If there are only two machines
and nothing else you can connect them with just a 'null modem' RS-422 cable
that has male Mini-DIN 8's on each end.

>3.  Use PhoneNet connectors and standard RJ-11 modular phone cables
>    instead of Apple(R) Brand AppleTalk(R) parts.  You'll save a bundle.

If you have to use LocalTalk this is very true.

>4.  PhoneNet products are real popular, but I've had good performance
>    from other vendors (HyperNet, TurboNet, etc.) for about half the
>    cost of PhoneNet brand parts.

Also true. We've been buying from HyperNet for a while and they work fine.

>5.  Both your Mac and IIGS will require a PhoneNet connector box, they
>    plug into the Printer Port.

On the Mac they do. On the GS you can use either port (see below).

>8.  Make sure that AppleTalk is enabled in the IIGS's Slots control panel.

This includes setting the slot matching the port you are using for AppleTalk
to anything other than Printer/Modem port. The actual setting is different
depending on which ROM you have.

>ON THE SYSTEM 7 MACINTOSH:
[ ... ]

>ON THE SYSTEM 6.0.7 APPLE IIGS:

I think you mean 5.0.4 ...

[ ... ]

>Filenames
>---------
>There appears to be some trouble on the IIGS in accessing folders and files
>on on the Mac that ARE NOT legal ProDOS file names.  You'll want to make
>sure that all the files and folders on the Mac have names that are legal to
>ProDOS so that you can access them from your IIGS.

This is not a problem for real GS programs. P8 programs (who are expecting
prodos naming syntax) and GS programs that use direct block access for file
system stuff (like the APW/Orca directory command) will get an 'access not
allowed' because AppleShare quite rightly does not support direct block I/O.

[ ... ]

Also, Personal AppleShare seems to have a bug in that it occasionally sets
the auxtype to $FFFFFFFF, which is a legal GS/OS auxtype but not a legal
ProDOS auxtype -- attempting to copy such a file to a ProDOS disk results
in an error $53 (parameter out of range). This problem is similar to CAP/AUFS,
a PD unix AppleShare server, which simply does not set ProDOS file info at all,
and returns whatever garbage value was in memory when the file's info structure
was first created. I wrote a simple INIT to fix the AUFS problem, but it won't
fix the Personal AppleShare problem because the primary filetype is always
legal. All I need to do is reorder a few comparisons and it will do that too.

Todd Whitesel
toddpw @ tybalt.caltech.edu

sysadmin@pnet91.cts.com (Matthew Montano) (05/27/91)

mdavis@pro-sol.cts.com (Morgan Davis) writes:
>MPW
>---
>If you're using MPW 3.1 to develop Apple IIGS software, you'll need to get
>it updated to 3.2, as 3.1 won't run under System 7.  And if you switch to
>System 6.0.7 to run MPW 3.1, you lose File Sharing abilities.  It's a real
>headache -- especially since APDA still hasn't made MPW 3.2 available! Call
>APDA and bug them to hurry up.
>

>--Morgan Davis

The update to MPW v3.1 (3.2) was shipped to developers (and DEALERS!) with the
May release of the Golden Master CD-ROM of System 7.0. Also included are
updates to several other utilities, new header files, new libraries and Inside
Macintosh Volume 6.

>UUCP: crash!pro-sol!mdavis           AOL, BIX: mdavis
>ARPA: crash!pro-sol!mdavis@nosc.mil  GEnie:    m.davis42
>INET: mdavis@pro-sol.cts.com         ProLine:  mdavis@pro-sol

Matthew
---
ventureTech Intelligence - We're trying to make computers easy, SOME HOW!
Email: sysadmin@pnet91.cts.com (most mailers won't barf on that..)
My comments aren't even worth a disclaimer...
And the further I get from the things that I care about...
The less I care about how much further away I get   -   Robert Smith, 1989