[comp.sys.apple2] 3200 progs

apollo@pro-hindugods.cts.com (Amrit Chauhan) (05/27/91)

        Hey...I have a 3200 GIF converter and an Apple //gs with ROM 01.  I
also run a BBS all day long and the computer is never off.  First, does the
computer being on that long (with a system saver, a vulcan internal w/ fan,
and a fan on the outside to keep an external hard drive and a modem cool)
have any effect on the 3200 GIF converter?  Also, how much, estimated, does
a ROM 01 to a ROM 03 upgrade cost by apple, or by decent dealers?

Thanks

Amrit

==The Hindu Love Gods BBS - - - - Bloomfield Hills, MI - - - - 313/644-0481===
ProLine: Steve@pro-hindugods     | Internet: Steve@pro-hindugods.cts.com     |
UUCP: crash!pro-hindugods!Steve  | ARPA: crash!pro-hindugods!Steve@nosc.mil  |

In a weirdly #ed message,apollo@pro-hindugods.cts.com (Amrit Chauhan) writes:
>        Hey...I have a 3200 GIF converter and an Apple //gs with ROM 01.  I
>also run a BBS all day long and the computer is never off.  First, does the
>computer being on that long (with a system saver, a vulcan internal w/ fan,
>and a fan on the outside to keep an external hard drive and a modem cool)
>have any effect on the 3200 GIF converter?

	Why would it have an effect?

	Are you getting increased 911 or 308 errors?

>Also, how much, estimated, does
>a ROM 01 to a ROM 03 upgrade cost by apple, or by decent dealers?

	No such upgrade exists. You must buy a whole new ROM 03 machine.
(I have seen "refurbished" GSes in ads for $650 but most likely they aren't
ROM 03s)  Apple has said that through software, you get virtually all of
the same things that the ROM 03 has.. (i.e. the advantages)

	The one thing I'd be interested in would be the reduction from
noise.. My digitizer card (that I only paid $20 for at Egghead Clearance
Center, so it's no biggie) is basically worthless as everything sounds
like crap.
--
/unknown@ucscb.ucsc.edu       Apple IIGS Forever!        unknown@cats.ucsc.edu\
|WANT to help get ULTIMA VI //e or GS written?-mail me. CHEAP CD info-mail me.|

MQUINN@UTCVM.BITNET (05/27/91)

On Mon, 27 May 91 00:00:22 GMT Amrit Chauhan said:

>..........................................  Also, how much, estimated, does
>a ROM 01 to a ROM 03 upgrade cost by apple, or by decent dealers?

Apple doesn't offer an upgrade to the ROM 03.  If you already have a ROM 01,
I'd stick with that.  There's a bunch of stuff that doesn't work with ROM 03s
that does work with ROM 01s... on the other hand, I don't know of anything
that works only on a ROM 03, but not on a ROM 01.

>==The Hindu Love Gods BBS - - - - Bloomfield Hills, MI - - - - 313/644-0481===
>ProLine: Steve@pro-hindugods     | Internet: Steve@pro-hindugods.cts.com     |
>UUCP: crash!pro-hindugods!Steve  | ARPA: crash!pro-hindugods!Steve@nosc.mil  |

  BITNET--  mquinn@utcvm    <------------send files here
  pro-line-- mquinn@pro-gsplus.cts.com
Assembly-  a computer LANGUAGE.
Assembler- NOT the name of a language.  It's equivellent to a compiler.

geniusman@pro-hindugods.cts.com (Chris Moylan) (05/27/91)

I don't think the //gs being on all day will affect the working of any
software you may have.  I would fault it to one of your DA's, inits, or
tools that are old, or not working properly.  Also, there is no Rom 03
upgrade for the GS.  The ROM 03 GS's have 1 meg internal memory, a little
different control panel and a different memory manager, and some other
stuff I can't remember.  The only way to get one is to sell yours and buy
the ROM 03, but remember, some software, like older FTA demos, won't even
run on an 03, so be sure you know what you are getting in to.

See ya!

Chris

Chris Moylan
ProLine:  geniusman@pro-hindugods