[comp.sys.apple2] What do you do about line noise?

sk2f+@andrew.cmu.edu (Seth D. Kadesh) (05/27/91)

I'm trying to download files, and I'm having terrible luck.  So far,
my only success seems to be using kermit, which is terribly slow.  I'd
love to use x/y/zmodem, but my phone lines are bad and none of my
transfers seem to work, even when they don't report an error.  Am I
missing something obvious with x/y/zmodem?

-seth                  tHe mAd ScienTisT, and other carnations
-----------------------
sk2f@andrew.cmu.edu   | everything seems so easy this way but I'm going under
tmSatCMU@DRYCAS.BITNET| fast, I'm slipping away, am I so crazy? - Marillion

ART100@psuvm.psu.edu (Andy Tefft) (05/27/91)

In article <kcE9tcq00WB285yGZC@andrew.cmu.edu>, sk2f+@andrew.cmu.edu (Seth D.
Kadesh) says:

>love to use x/y/zmodem, but my phone lines are bad and none of my
>transfers seem to work, even when they don't report an error.  Am I
>missing something obvious with x/y/zmodem?

Probably. x/y/zmodem need an 8-bit data path that doesn't suck off
control characters, which is rather difficult to get unless you call
a modem connected directly to your unix box. Terminal servers often
get in the way of non-kermit file transfers, but some of them have
commands to use 8 bits and pass all data transparently.

warren.e@pro-beagle.cts.com (Warren Ernst) (05/28/91)

If you're talking about line noise while on a UNIX system or something,
that's not line noise, thats just UNIX doing silly things. When you xfer
with x/zmodem, does it work at first then start to get flakey then you get
several errors in a row and then the transfer gets canceled?

Believe it or not, I think its because after about 20 or 30 blocks here at
UCSD, while the apple thinks about checking the block for errors, the UNIX
just cant wait to send the next one. After 30 blocks the timing is totally
off between the machines. Recently, I managed to get AE's crummy ReadyLink
(or whatever its called now) to do it, by turing "relaxed timing" switch
on.

Kermit doesn't seem to have the problem. Weird.

Warren Ernst
warren.e@pro-beagle.cts.com
wernst@ucsd.edu
        GEnie too