[comp.sys.apple2] cheap stereo on a gs?

prophet@oxy.edu (Dale Bruce LaFountain) (05/24/91)

I am itching to get stereo sound on my GS, but I am very wary of buying
any more of Applied Engineering products.  This is compounded by the
fact that the digitizing part of both the SB and AA are basically worthless
to me because of the noise in the samples.

So, 1) are there any other stereo boards out there (is MDIdeas' card still
around?) or 2) how can I go about building my own?  I remember seeing a
schematic posted a while ago, but I wasn't so hot on the idea of stereo
at the time (I also thought that AE made a good sampler/stereo card, too...
I guess that's what I get for thinking...:) But now, being summer,
it seems most appropriate.

Thanks in advance,

Dale LaFountain

P.S. If emailing a response, please send to: prophet@cub.oxy.edu.

MQUINN@UTCVM.BITNET (05/24/91)

On Thu, 23 May 91 19:52:11 GMT <info-apple-request@APPLE.COM> said:
>I am itching to get stereo sound on my GS, but I am very wary of buying
>any more of Applied Engineering products.  This is compounded by the
>fact that the digitizing part of both the SB and AA are basically worthless
>to me because of the noise in the samples.

I have a Sonic Blaster and it produces TERRIFIC sound.  I've downloaded
several soundfiles from other places, and the ones I create on my Sonic
Blaster blow those downloads away.  The Sonic Blaster digitizes at
extremely high quality for what most people would expect.  Also, I'll point
out that I have heard of one or two people who couldn't produce good sound
on theirs.  This could be because they didn't know how to fully use it,
their input was bad to begin with, or they just had faulty boards.  My
original SB was faulty.  I sent it back, and they sent me a new one and it
works great.  I've had it well over a year now with absolutely no problems.
If you want, I can send you a sample file I've created with it to let you
judge for yourself.

>Thanks in advance,
>
>Dale LaFountain
>
>P.S. If emailing a response, please send to: prophet@cub.oxy.edu.

  BITNET--  mquinn@utcvm    <------------send files here
  pro-line-- mquinn@pro-gsplus.cts.com

sk2f+@andrew.cmu.edu (Seth D. Kadesh) (05/24/91)

I had the MDIdeas card (Supersonic and Digitizer).  Instructions were
poor, and the digitizer picked up noise also.

I might be working on an incredible sound digitizer this summer....
more to follow....

-seth                  tHe mAd ScienTisT, and other carnations
-----------------------
sk2f@andrew.cmu.edu   | everything seems so easy this way but I'm going under
tmSatCMU@DRYCAS.BITNET| fast, I'm slipping away, am I so crazy? - Marillion

In article <169642@tiger.oxy.edu> prophet@oxy.edu (Dale Bruce LaFountain) writes:
>So, 1) are there any other stereo boards out there (is MDIdeas' card still
>around?) or 2) how can I go about building my own?  I remember seeing a
>schematic posted a while ago, but I wasn't so hot on the idea of stereo
>at the time (I also thought that AE made a good sampler/stereo card, too...
>I guess that's what I get for thinking...:) But now, being summer,
>it seems most appropriate.

	One of the books, most logically the Apple IIGS Hardware Reference,
gives details about a circuit to create stereo output. I can't go into more
detail than that, because I've not seen the book.. That's just what I've
gleaned from the net.

	And I believe the parts are less than $10.
--
/unknown@ucscb.ucsc.edu       Apple IIGS Forever!        unknown@cats.ucsc.edu\
|WANT to help get ULTIMA VI //e or GS written?-mail me. CHEAP CD info-mail me.|

whitewolf@gnh-starport.cts.com (Tae Song) (05/28/91)

> To: gnh-starport!info-apple
> From: prophet@oxy.edu (Dale Bruce LaFountain)
> Subject: cheap stereo on a gs?
> Date: 23 May 91 19:52:11 GMT
> Size: 1192 bytes
>
> I am itching to get stereo sound on my GS, but I am very wary of buying
> any more of Applied Engineering products.  This is compounded by the
> fact that the digitizing part of both the SB and AA are basically worthless
> to me because of the noise in the samples.
>
> So, 1) are there any other stereo boards out there (is MDIdeas' card still
> around?) or 2) how can I go about building my own?  I remember seeing a
> schematic posted a while ago, but I wasn't so hot on the idea of stereo
> at the time (I also thought that AE made a good sampler/stereo card, too...
> I guess that's what I get for thinking...:) But now, being summer,

Um, I've worked on the stereo circuit... I'm the one actually who posted in
the past on the net.  If you're not happy with the SB, you might try the AA,
which I understand has a 12-bit ADC, for sampling... I'll have to recheck AE's
ad.

I don't kno what you are actually expecting from the stereo circuit...
actually it is a octo-phonic circuit (8 channel audio)... you still end up
using the Ensoniq for sampling and you'll still endup with whatever noise you
had with the SB.

Perhaps what's needed on the GS is a high-pass filter to clean the clicking
noise which I hear on the GS speaker in the Finder.  I've fryied my Ensoniq
since doing research on the Ensoniq... I'll post the schematics for the
octo-phonic circuit, but you shouldn't expect much more than what you would
get from the SB... the main reason for building the octo phonic was to check
out the 8 channel sound... but you need 8 speakers... perferablely amplified
... 4 speaker was more practical, though.

I just recently got a SB, but haven't had a chance to use, since my Ensoniq is
fried.  What I was thinking of doing is revising the original octo circuit and
using the low-pass filters on the card... I didn't know how to design specific
active filters, back then... actually, I still don't, even though I know more
now than I did back then... anyways... if you want the circuit, I can email
it.

One of the things you might do with the SB... you might look for a replacement
for the LF347 (the device # escapes me), with some other op amps... LM324...
there a couple other types with similar function/pinouts... that would be one
the things I would try out... if that doesn't work... I have one other thing
I'd like to try which is place a 100pf cap across the +,- signal pins on the
op amps... there's no garantee that any of this would work, and I definitely
won't know til, I get a new GS sometime in the next 6 months.
INET: whitewolf@gnh-starport.cts.com
UUCP: crash!gnh-starport!whitewolf
ARPA: crash!gnh-starport!whitewolf@nosc.mil