[comp.sys.apple2] ftp and filenames

gkomatsu@UHUNIX.UHCC.HAWAII.EDU (Galen Tatsuo Komatsu) (05/28/91)

.....from comp.binaries.apple2.....

taob@micor.ocunix.on.ca (Brian Tao) speaketh...

|From calumw@castle.ed.ac.uk (Calum A. Wilkie ):
|
|> Wouldn't it be nice if filenames were useful on certain ftp sites...
|>
|>  such as prgramname.gs.bsq  <-- implies it's for a gs
|>  whereas prgramname.bsq     <-- any apple will do
|
|     Most ftp sites _should_ have their files sorted into directories.
|That's how tybalt and wuarchives does it.  You will probably see a bunch of
|directories in the apple2 directory, one of them being GS.  The rest of the
|directories (Lang, Shell, Games, Util) are for the 8-bits.

     Are you sure about that?  I just came from tybalt.caltech.edu a few
minutes ago, and I don't remember seeing a GS directory in the apple2
directory.  I also grabbed a file in the games directory titled "death.bsq"
(no "gs" to be seen in the title) then took a look at the file header and saw
something like "This is a GS modem game I got from....."  A couple of weeks
ago I got the file "qburt.bsq" (no "gs" in this filename either) from tybalt,
only to find out that it too was a GS game.  "antetris.bsq" was also in the
games directory, and if I remember correctly, it's a GS game too.

btw... what hapened to all the sound files in the softdac directory?
                                .
Galen Komatsu                   ! Baby'sKudoShizukaKawadaJunkoSakaiNorikoCoCo
gkomatsu@uhunix.uhcc.hawaii.edu ! TUBEtheCheckersPinkSapphirePrincessPrincess

toddpw@nntp-server.caltech.edu (Todd P. Whitesel) (05/28/91)

gkomatsu@UHUNIX.UHCC.HAWAII.EDU (Galen Tatsuo Komatsu) writes:

>     Are you sure about that?  I just came from tybalt.caltech.edu a few
>minutes ago, and I don't remember seeing a GS directory in the apple2
>directory.

This is because tybalt was originally intended as a primarily GS site.
I get specific complaints now and then, so sometime over the next few weeks
there will be an 8bit directory with all the older stuff in it.

>btw... what hapened to all the sound files in the softdac directory?

I toasted some of them to save space. For no sane reason our NeXTs are
now paging off of tybalt and its sister server 'cobalt', so now tybalt
is extremely overworked and is running out of disk space constantly. I
do not want gobs of sound files taking up tybalt's disk space, especially
not when there are quite a few FTP sites offering sound files already.
I have also been purging some of the worse GS demos and games for the same
reason. The official position is that pub/apple2 on tybalt is not in the
sound business -- I did leave a couple files that I don't remember seeing on
other sites, so it's not like there is nothing to download with softdac.

Todd Whitesel
toddpw @ tybalt.caltech.edu