[comp.sys.apple2] Software Development

bugsy@ersys.edmonton.ab.ca (Ryan Shook) (05/27/91)

Being new to the software development scene, I have a question concerning
the use of Apple's ProDOS when selling a program. Do any licencing
problems arise when selling a program employing ProDOS and Basic.System?

Ryan

Ryan Shook              bugsy@ersys.edmonton.ab.ca
Edmonton Remote Systems:  Serving Northern Alberta since 1982

MQUINN@UTCVM.BITNET (05/27/91)

On Mon, 27 May 91 05:06:01 GMT Ryan Shook said:
>Being new to the software development scene, I have a question concerning
>the use of Apple's ProDOS when selling a program. Do any licencing
>problems arise when selling a program employing ProDOS and Basic.System?

It depends on what you mean by 'employing ProDOS'.  If you mean, making calls
to ProDOS MLI routines, there's no problem.  If you mean distributin ProDOS
on your disk, you have to get permision from Apple to do that and pay a
licensing fee, I think.  (Oh, same with BASIC.SYSTEM).

>Ryan Shook              bugsy@ersys.edmonton.ab.ca
>Edmonton Remote Systems:  Serving Northern Alberta since 1982

  BITNET--  mquinn@utcvm    <------------send files here
  pro-line-- mquinn@pro-gsplus.cts.com
Assembly-  a computer LANGUAGE.
Assembler- NOT the name of a language.  It's equivellent to a compiler.

gwyn@smoke.brl.mil (Doug Gwyn) (05/28/91)

In article <qoaL31w164w@ersys.edmonton.ab.ca> bugsy@ersys.edmonton.ab.ca (Ryan Shook) writes:
>Do any licencing
>problems arise when selling a program employing ProDOS and Basic.System?

The program is yours.  ProDOS and AppleSoft BASIC are Apple's, and you
need Apple's permission to distribute them, which generally means you
have to pay a nominal licensing fee.  An alternative is to ship just
your program, in which case the disk won't be bootable.

dlyons@Apple.COM (David A Lyons) (05/28/91)

In article <qoaL31w164w@ersys.edmonton.ab.ca> bugsy@ersys.edmonton.ab.ca (Ryan Shook) writes:
>Being new to the software development scene, I have a question concerning
>the use of Apple's ProDOS when selling a program. Do any licencing
>problems arise when selling a program employing ProDOS and Basic.System?

To distribute Apple software with your product you need to license it from
Apple's Software Licensing department, which you can contact at
+1 408 974 4667.  Last I noticed, it was $50 per product per year for the
8-bit system disk.

If you are just distributing your own work, requiring the customer to
already have ProDOS 8 and BASIC.SYSTEM, there is no need to license
the stuff.
--
David A. Lyons, Apple Computer, Inc.      |   DAL Systems
Apple II System Software Engineer         |   P.O. Box 875

My opinions are my own, not Apple's.