[comp.sys.apple2] Re^2: Term Progs

grohol@novavax.UUCP (John Grohol) (05/21/91)

Having only ever an Apple IIgs, I can't imagine why anybody would
actually LIKE Appleworks 3.0. I have seen this program and it reminds
me of the stone ages in word processing. I know it's as good as
most IBM word processors, but if ya got a GS (which excels in graphics
and sound), you should, as a matter of opinion, use graphically-
oriented software. I use Wordperfect for the GS and love it! It's
the easiest, powerful word processor I have seen in a while...

IMHO.

 John M. Grohol                     ||  Nova University - Ft. Lauderdale, FL
 Internet: grohol@novavax.nova.edu  ||  Center for Psychological Studies
             "Or would you like to be a fish?" - Laurie Anderson

alfter@nevada.edu (SCOTT ALFTER) (05/22/91)

Maybe people prefer the text-based AppleWorks 3.0 because its
flexibility (especially with TimeOut) kicks ass over any WIMP-based
word processor/database/spreadsheet available for the II.

Have you tried using TimeOut UltraMacros with AppleWorks GS lately? :-)

Scott Alfter-----------------------------_/_----------------------------
Ask me about SoftDAC!  Play Mac sounds  / v \ on your Apple II!
Internet: alfter@uns-helios.nevada.edu (    ( Apple II:
   GEnie: S.ALFTER                      \_^_/ the power to be your best!

PKBRANDON@MSUS1.MSUS.EDU (05/22/91)

I use AppleWorks3.0 on a GS because:  1)  files are compatible with IIEs,
2) text handling is *much* faster than with a graphics based program.  Yes
I have just gotten a ZipGSX 8/32.  I also use graphics-based word processors
when I'm concerned about appearance, and I use WordPerfectGS for large jobs
like lab manuals where layout is important but I don't need or want to spend
the time necessary to print 80 pages!  AppleWorks3.0 is still the fastest
way to manipulate and print text when WYSIWYG is not vital.
   ===     Paul Brandon    Psychology Dept    Mankato State Univ      ===
   ===      PKBRANDON@MSUS1.MSUS.EDU          Mankato, MN 56001       ===
   == 'Never ascribe to EVIL that which can be explained by STUPIDITY' ==

PKBRANDON@MSUS1.MSUS.EDU (05/22/91)

WordPerfectGS has some unique features.  One has a choice of pull-down
menus, reassignable keyboard equivalents, or operation from a help menu
accessed by cntrl-[letter] which jumps you into the middle of a help menu
at point [letter], and lets you operate from the menu (I suspect this is
getting a bit cryptic).  I don't think that this range of options exists in
other WP implementations.

WAXMONRW@SNYBUFVA.BITNET (05/22/91)

John Grohol said:

>Having only ever an Apple IIgs, I can't imagine why anybody would
>actually LIKE Appleworks 3.0. I have seen this program and it reminds
>me of the stone ages in word processing. I know it's as good as
>most IBM word processors, but if ya got a GS (which excels in graphics
>and sound), you should, as a matter of opinion, use graphically-
>oriented software. I use Wordperfect for the GS and love it! It's
>the easiest, powerful word processor I have seen in a while...

>IMHO.

I know better than this but I cannot resist! I have not used WordPerfect
for the GS but I do use WordPerfect 5.1 (the current msdos version). It
is a powerful wordprocessor but I have never heard it described as
"the easiest, powerful word process I have seen in a while", unless
of course, you have not seen many wordprocessors! It has been my
experience that "WordPerfect" and "ease of use" are a contradiction
in terms!

MHO!

Ray Waxmonsky (waxmonrw@snybufva)

philip@utstat.uucp (Philip McDunnough) (05/22/91)

In article <1991May21.201141.10732@nevada.edu> alfter@nevada.edu (SCOTT ALFTER) writes:
>Maybe people prefer the text-based AppleWorks 3.0 because its
>flexibility (especially with TimeOut) kicks ass over any WIMP-based
>word processor/database/spreadsheet available for the II.

There are many people who have serious objections to GUI based
systems. I'm not one of them, but I got an earfull from one of
our department chaimen who has been around every computer system
I know, and is a very good programmer. All these spreadsheets,etc...
simply do not measure up to the flexibility of awk and vi. In fact,
instead of adding more "capabilities" (which is like adding more ropes
to tie yourself up with) software and computer makers should be removing
them. Make things simple, but provide powerful tools to those who
need them. Even I recognize that the Mac/GS etc...place you into a
straightjacket. If it fits then fine. The one think nice about the
NeXT( which even though I have one, I don't expect to be around for
long) is that you have choice. CLI or GUI.

Philip McDunnough
University of Toronto
philip@utstat.utoronto.ca
[my opinions,...]

PS: To unknown: Developers would come running back to an inexpensive
    GS with a faster cpu. There are not too many nice home oriented
    systems out there, and that's the future. Even the PS/1 is selling
    very well.

gwyn@smoke.brl.mil (Doug Gwyn) (05/22/91)

In article <1991May21.215913.18781@utstat.uucp> philip@utstat.uucp (Philip McDunnough) writes:
>Make things simple, but provide powerful tools to those who need them.

What I recommend (coming from many years of studying UNIX) is that one
implement "computational kernels" as generally as possible, preferably
user-programmable, and ALSO provide a spiffy user interface that of
necessity hides a lot of the computation kernel capabilities as a
tradeoff for a simple-but-limited user model.  As with all UNIX
windowing systems in common use, one can then revert to an "expert"
environment that makes the computational kernel directly available, or
stick to a "naive user" environment that provides just the limited
user interface.

sb@pnet91.cts.com (Stephen Brown) (05/23/91)

grohol@novavax.UUCP (John Grohol) writes:

>Having only ever an Apple IIgs, I can't imagine why anybody would
>actually LIKE Appleworks 3.0. I have seen this program and it reminds
>me of the stone ages in word processing. I know it's as good as
>most IBM word processors, but if ya got a GS (which excels in graphics
>and sound), you should, as a matter of opinion, use graphically-
>oriented software. I use Wordperfect for the GS and love it! It's
>the easiest, powerful word processor I have seen in a while...
>
>IMHO.
>
>--
>-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
> John M. Grohol                     ||  Nova University - Ft. Lauderdale, FL
> Internet: grohol@novavax.nova.edu  ||  Center for Psychological Studies
>             "Or would you like to be a fish?" - Laurie Anderson

I don't want to start a GUI vs CLI argument... I won't participate if things
degenerate into one. But before you dismiss AppleWorks 3, consider its speed,
robustness, and power. And when you add TimeOut, I don't think there's a
productivity tool for the Apple II that beats it (or even compares). Then add
Ultramacros, and it just gets ridiculously powerful... I know, because I'm
doing things with it which would take 10 times longer IF you script AWGS, and
probably 50 times longer because you can't.  This, like everything else I say
is IMHO.

| Stephen Brown                           Toronto, Canada |
| Internet: sb@pnet91.cts.com      UUCP: utzoo!pnet91!sb  |
| Apple II Forever !!!                                    |
| Like my new .signature. ?    Too bad.                   |

lhaider@pro-nbs.cts.com (Laer Haider) (05/24/91)

[stuff clipped]
>I know better than this but I cannot resist! I have not used WordPerfect
>for the GS but I do use WordPerfect 5.1 (the current msdos version). It
>is a powerful wordprocessor but I have never heard it described as
>"the easiest, powerful word process I have seen in a while", unless
>of course, you have not seen many wordprocessors! It has been my
>experience that "WordPerfect" and "ease of use" are a contradiction
>in terms!
>
>MHO!
>
>Ray Waxmonsky (waxmonrw@snybufva)

Wait 'til you see WordPerfect for Windows.  All I can say is... OOoooh!
It still may not be the easiest WP there is, but you can't get much
easier for basic word processing.  And if you need POWER, it's there.
You have to dig a little deeper into the program to get to it though.

As far as WordPerfect V5.1 is concerned, it isn't any harder to use
than AppleWorks V3.0 in order to do equivalent tasks.  Again, advanced
features may send you looking through the manual; though you can usually
find whatever help you need in the online help system.

Some features I like MUCH better than AppleWorks V3.0; like a menu bar
and pull down menus (which can be set up to be permanently displayed).

Word processing is still a sore point in the Apple II environment to me.
There is still nothing available that provides the advanced word processing
features I need to do my work.  I have to rely on WordPerfect for MS-DOS,
though it crawls through some things on my PCTransporter.  MicroSoft-Word
is another power program I like too, but I don't need to buy two programs
for one task (and can't afford it either).  I also prefer WordPerfect (MS-DOS
version) because it can directly drive my ImageWriter II, and even CONVERT
THE IBM CHARACTER SET to print on it (printed as graphics).  It also does and
outstanding job with mixing graphics with straight IWII text.

I could go on for pages about the features WordPerfect offers, but I'll not
bore you any further.  If there is, or will be, anything close made for the
Apple II(e,c,gs), I'll probably buy it.  For now I can't think of anything
better.

                /    _______________________________________________
 \             / /   ProLine:  pro-nbs!lhaider
  \\\' ,      / //      INET:  lhaider@pro-nbs.cts.com
   \\\//,   _/ //,      UUCP:  crash!pro-nbs!lhaider
    \_-//' /  //<,      ARPA:  crash!pro-nbs!lhaider@nosc.mil
      \ ///  <//`     BITNET:  lhaider%pro-nbs.cts.com@nosc.mil
      /  >>  \\\`__/_
     /,)-^>>\` , \\\   The opinions express here are just opinions.
     (/   \\ /\\\      Don't have a cow man!
         // _//\\\\   -----------------------------------------------
       ((` ((

acmfiu@serss0.fiu.edu (ACMFIU) (05/29/91)

In article <3305.apple.a2.net@pro-nbs> lhaider@pro-nbs.cts.com (Laer Haider) writes:
}
}[stuff clipped]
}>I know better than this but I cannot resist! I have not used WordPerfect
}>for the GS but I do use WordPerfect 5.1 (the current msdos version). It
}>is a powerful wordprocessor but I have never heard it described as
}>"the easiest, powerful word process I have seen in a while", unless
}>of course, you have not seen many wordprocessors! It has been my
}>experience that "WordPerfect" and "ease of use" are a contradiction
}>in terms!
}>
}>MHO!
}>
}>Ray Waxmonsky (waxmonrw@snybufva)
}
} [stuff deleted ...]
}
}                /    _______________________________________________
} \             / /   ProLine:  pro-nbs!lhaider
}  \\\' ,      / //      INET:  lhaider@pro-nbs.cts.com
}   \\\//,   _/ //,      UUCP:  crash!pro-nbs!lhaider
}    \_-//' /  //<,      ARPA:  crash!pro-nbs!lhaider@nosc.mil
}      \ ///  <//`     BITNET:  lhaider%pro-nbs.cts.com@nosc.mil
}      /  >>  \\\`__/_
}     /,)-^>>\` , \\\   The opinions express here are just opinions.
}     (/   \\ /\\\      Don't have a cow man!
}         // _//\\\\   -----------------------------------------------
}       ((` ((

obviously you've never heard of Gutenberg for the Apple IIe. Gutenberg is
*the* most powerful word processor for the Apple IIe and, to the best of
my knowledge, the Apple IIgs. until TeX comes along, i don't think anything
can beat it. now, this is not to say you should go out and buy it
immediately. the program takes a *while* to learn. the interface is very
lacking and it is very cryptic (although if you're familiar with TeX then
you'll "like" Gutenberg). a typesetter wrote it and it is very adequate
for production material. i know of a college math book that was written
using Gutenberg and the Gutenberg manual (all 400+ pages of it) was written
with Gutenberg. i have the manual and can vouch for the incredible things
this program can do.

albert