[comp.sys.apple2] Who are these Vitesse People?

jimmys@bonnie.ics.uci.edu (Jimmy Shaw) (05/23/91)

In article <762D32w164w@ersys.edmonton.ab.ca> lonewolf@ersys.edmonton.ab.ca (Benoy Koshy) writes:

>Who exactly is Vitesse, what have they made?  Also I haven't really seen
>any new shareware, other than the usual Shrinkit for the Apple computers.
>No actual programs that is, demos don't count really...
>
> Lone Wolf                      lonewolf@ersys.edmonton.ab.ca
>  ________ |______________________________________________________
> [|_|_|_|_||_____________________________________________________/
> ~        ~'       "I have only come here seeking Knowledge..."

	Well, I am glad that you brought it up :).  Vitesse is a company that
is committed to the future of the Apple IIgs.  Their products includes:
The Salvation line of Hard disk utilities: Bakkup, Exorciser, Wings,
Renaissance, and Deliverance.  Also do not forget the FIRST hand held scanner
for the Apple IIs: Quickie (The only InWord compatible scanner.  But correct
me if I am wrong :)  The story I heard is that WestCode send both Vitesse and
ThunderWare letters requests the specs and hardware for their scanners, but
only Vitesse bothered to reply)

	They also have DiskAccess NDA, think of it as a Finder-in-a-NDA.
	Harmony - Printer drivers for the GS that allows you to use laser
		  printers like the HP IIP, etc.

	Coming soon:  Contour - outline fonts for the Apple IIgs.

	Hope this answers your question.

Jimmy Shaw
jimmys@ics.uci.edu

JWANKERL@UTCVM.BITNET ("Josef W. Wankerl") (05/23/91)

On Thu, 23 May 91 11:06:59 GMT Jimmy Shaw said:
>	They also have DiskAccess NDA, think of it as a Finder-in-a-NDA.

Seven Hills Software did Disk Access (tm), not Vitesse.

--
===> Josef W. Wankerl, Technical Editor for GS+ Magazine
  BITNET:  JWANKERL@UTCVM.BITNET       | America Online:  JWankerl

mkheintz@vela.acs.oakland.edu (Michael Heintz) (05/29/91)

In article <283BA253.24074@ics.uci.edu> jimmys@ics.uci.edu (Jimmy Shaw) writes:
>Also do not forget the FIRST hand held scanner
>for the Apple IIs: Quickie (The only InWord compatible scanner.  But correct
>me if I am wrong :)  The story I heard is that WestCode send both Vitesse and
>ThunderWare letters requests the specs and hardware for their scanners, but
>only Vitesse bothered to reply)

The way I heard it, WestCode had the idea and needed some help so Vitesse
worked out a deal where the first version or so of the Inwords software
would only work with the Quickie...

After a certain length of time, I'm not positive on the details, the
other scanner (Lightening Scan??) will be supported.

I have the Quickie, and I am very pleased with it.  In a side-by-side
comparison with the other hand held scanner, despite the fact that the
scanning unit is identical, I believe the Quickie has better output.

I think Vitesse's support is something all Apple II users should be
thankful for!  The Quickie also works on the Apple IIe and comes with
software for the IIgs and IIe!

Just my two cents worth, and a few opinions on the side!

Mike
mkheintz@vela.acs.oakland.edu