[comp.sys.apple2] DiskCopy disk images

dlyons@Apple.COM (David A Lyons) (05/28/91)

In article <1991May23.060125.29918@nntp-server.caltech.edu> toddpw@nntp-server.caltech.edu (Todd P. Whitesel) writes:
>[...] We even suspect our local dealership of tampering
>with System 7 DiskCopy images to encourage sales of the $99.00 manual package.
>(Correct me if I'm wrong, but the public release of DiskCopy can't save
>an image file -- I hope so, for security reasons.)

Every version of DiskCopy I've seen can save disk images as files--it's
very handy to save them to hard disks or network servers.  -- How is
that a security problem?  Is it easier to modify a disk image than a
disk?
--
David A. Lyons, Apple Computer, Inc.      |   DAL Systems
Apple II System Software Engineer         |   P.O. Box 875

My opinions are my own, not Apple's.

toddpw@nntp-server.caltech.edu (Todd P. Whitesel) (05/29/91)

dlyons@Apple.COM (David A Lyons) writes:

>Every version of DiskCopy I've seen can save disk images as files--it's
>very handy to save them to hard disks or network servers.  -- How is
>that a security problem?  Is it easier to modify a disk image than a
>disk?

It's a security problem because then people could use DiskCopy to archive
virused software and pass them off as golden masters. Of course the checksums
would be different, but very few typical end users really verify that sort of
thing. Most of them rely on the salesmen...

Todd Whitesel
toddpw @ tybalt.caltech.edu

dlyons@Apple.COM (David A Lyons) (05/29/91)

In article <1991May29.011456.22141@nntp-server.caltech.edu> toddpw@nntp-server.caltech.edu (Todd P. Whitesel) writes:
>[...]
>It's a security problem because then people could use DiskCopy to archive
>virused software and pass them off as golden masters. Of course the checksums
>would be different, but very few typical end users really verify that sort of
>thing. Most of them rely on the salesmen...

So?  They could tamper with the original floppy, too, with the pretty Apple
disk label on it.  Printing the "real" DiskCopy checksum on the fancy label
would help a little.