[comp.sys.apple2] Re^2: GS home

grohol@novavax.UUCP (John Grohol) (05/30/91)

ericmcg@pnet91.cts.com (Eric Mcgillicuddy) writes:

>>Think about this:  For $2675 I can get a I386/33 box with 4MB RAM, 120MB HD,
>>Super VGA interface w/ 1024x768x256(color) monitor, 120MB tape backup,
>>MS-DOS V4.01, Windows V3.0, Adobe Type Manager, a laser printer and other
>>misc. software or hardware (2400 bps modem).
>>
>>Would *I* buy a IIgs for the same money if "I" were buying a new system?
>>Not on your life.

>No you can't.  The cheapest "name" clone is twice that. Remember you are
>buying a "name" Apple II or Mac, so make identical comparisons. I am farily
>lucky in that Dell, Compaq, Epson, Commodore and a couple other major clone
>makers have offices nearby, however Bob and Joe's Computer clone maker that
>gives such a good deal today may be gone tommorrow, particularly since the
>recession is cutting sales while competition is cutting margins at the same
>time. That two year warranty may have no validity if the company folds.

You act as though these no-name clone dealers are puttin in no-name parts.
If you have half a brain, you can check with the clone dealer in advance
and specify devices, hard drives, monitors, etc. Today's clones can be
built  so cheaply because the clone manufacturer is just putting the
pieces together. If the quality of the pieces is high, then you will
have few problems. If you don't ask about the pieces first (ie. -
motherboard or hard drive), you might get inferior parts.

The machine he mentioned may be a bit overboard (laser printer??).
But I can get a reputable clone (since 1983) maker 386/33 with
SVGA and 1mb card, 105mb hard drive, 3.5" & 5.25" drives, Windows,
mouse, and numerous ports, etc for under $2000. I'm looking at the
ad in Computer Shopper right now. (Also has 4mb RAM). This will
run any program in the known universe for a PC (except maybe a
few CAD prgms or such)... and very quickly to boot. And if I find
I have a problem with it, they will replace the component free.
Will they be around in another 10 years? Whose to say Apple will
be?? (They weren't around 15 years ago...) But considering its
been my experience that computers lose their technological edge
long before they break down, I'm not going to worry...

 John M. Grohol                     ||  Nova University - Ft. Lauderdale, FL
 Internet: grohol@novavax.nova.edu  ||  Center for Psychological Studies
  "So when you see a man who's broken, pick him up & carry him." - L. Anderson