[comp.sys.apple2] HELP with Apple II+ RAM Chip

dreuben@eagle.wesleyan.edu (05/26/91)

Hi there...

One of the RAM chips in my II+ blew out (the one right next to the
16K/"Language" Card for those who care :)  ).

I've replaced for the time being with the same chip type from my language card,
but would like to get new one.

It's an 8137, by ITT (ITT's number is 4116 3N). I haven't had to get this one
before, so I'm not sure where to look. I guess I can always call ITT, but
this seems like it may be a common chip.

Any ideas on where I can find a few? Jameco? (Don't have one of their
catalogs handy...)

Sorry if this sort of thing has been asked before, but I just recently
added this group...

Thanks in advance for any help!

-Doug

dreuben@eagle.wesleyan.edu
dreuben@wesleyan.bitnet

P.S. If anyone has a Cat modem they don't need any more, let me know. I
     could use another backup. (I don't even care about the 212 card,
     just the 300/202 bps one.)

chiu@ucsee (05/26/91)

In article <1991May26.052621.43229@eagle.wesleyan.edu> dreuben@eagle.wesleyan.edu writes:
>Hi there...
>
>One of the RAM chips in my II+ blew out (the one right next to the
>16K/"Language" Card for those who care :)  ).
>
>I've replaced for the time being with the same chip type from my language card,
>but would like to get new one.
>
>It's an 8137, by ITT (ITT's number is 4116 3N). I haven't had to get this one
>before, so I'm not sure where to look. I guess I can always call ITT, but
>this seems like it may be a common chip.

It would seem to me that you have mistaken the date code (8137) as chip
number (8137 means manufactured in 1981, 37th week, if you care)
The chip you want to look for is 4116 (16k x 1 DRAM), which is quite rare
these days, and are difficult to find (if at at all).
What I can suggest you to do is keep the RAM from language card
on your mother board, and go buy another language card... Language cards are
been sold for about $39 or so these days from mail order.

>Sorry if this sort of thing has been asked before, but I just recently
>added this group...
>
>Thanks in advance for any help!
>
>-Doug
>
>dreuben@eagle.wesleyan.edu
>dreuben@wesleyan.bitnet
>

>P.S. If anyone has a Cat modem they don't need any more, let me know. I
>     could use another backup. (I don't even care about the 212 card,
>     just the 300/202 bps one.)

Ah, another owner of AppleCat (reminds me of good old days of catfur)

dreuben@eagle.wesleyan.edu (05/27/91)

In article <1991May26.163339.19154@agate.berkeley.edu>, chiu@ucsee writes:

>>[I wanted a replacement chip for my II+]:
>>
>>It's an 8137, by ITT (ITT's number is 4116 3N). I haven't had to get this one
>>before, so I'm not sure where to look. I guess I can always call ITT, but
>>this seems like it may be a common chip.

> It would seem to me that you have mistaken the date code (8137) as chip
> number (8137 means manufactured in 1981, 37th week, if you care)
> The chip you want to look for is 4116 (16k x 1 DRAM), which is quite rare
> these days, and are difficult to find (if at at all).

Yes...I think making silly, mindless mistakes like I made above is
the punishment one gets for posting at 4AM!

I'll look around for a 16K DRAM, maybe some EE major or whoever has a few left
over from High School..(Or Junior High School? :)  ). If not, I'll get
another 16K card...$39 seems like a lot to spend for a new chip, though! :)
This is an Apple II, not a Mac! ;)

> Ah, another owner of AppleCat (reminds me of good old days of catfur)

Yup...and Disk-Fer and Catsend before that...It's hard to believe I used to
think 202 was FAST!

Thanks for the help!

-Doug

dreuben@eagle.wesleyan.edu
dreuben@wesleyan.bitnet

sb@pnet91.cts.com (Stephen Brown) (05/30/91)

dreuben@eagle.wesleyan.edu writes:
>Hi there...
>
>One of the RAM chips in my II+ blew out (the one right next to the
>16K/"Language" Card for those who care :)  ).
>
>I've replaced for the time being with the same chip type from my language card,
>but would like to get new one.
>
>It's an 8137, by ITT (ITT's number is 4116 3N). I haven't had to get this one
>before, so I'm not sure where to look. I guess I can always call ITT, but
>this seems like it may be a common chip.

The correct number is 4116. It's a 16K x 1 dynamic RAM chip. Check your
electronic parts supplier's catalog under RAM, dynamic, 16K. The speed should
be about 200nS or faster (it doesn't matter). The number 8137 is the date
code. It is a common chip. You should be able to pick one up for under $3.

| Stephen Brown                           Toronto, Canada |
| Internet: sb@pnet91.cts.com      UUCP: utzoo!pnet91!sb  |
| Apple II Forever !!!                                    |
| Like my new .signature. ?    Too bad.                   |