[comp.sys.apple2] SpeakIt, and promotion for Talking Tools

zane@ddsw1.MCS.COM (Sameer Parekh) (05/28/91)

	I received in the mail the other day something from Byteworks
advertising their new Talking Tools product.  It seems very good.  I have no
use for it, however.  But I would like to play with SpeakIt. . .and I don't
want to spend $60 (or $35) for all those tools.
	I think what Byteworks may want to do is make SpeakIt freeware, but
only the executable, not the source.  Then people can play with it, and if
they are interested in buying Talking Tools, they can use SpeakIt to test
the quality of output.  This is just an idea, what does everyone else
think?  Do you think we should ask them so we can try it out?
--
The Ravings of the Insane Maniac Sameer Parekh -- zane@ddsw1.MCS.COM

jimmys@bonnie.ics.uci.edu (Jimmy Shaw) (05/28/91)

In article <1991May28.024749.27455@ddsw1.MCS.COM> zane@ddsw1.MCS.COM (Sameer Parekh) writes:

>	I received in the mail the other day something from Byteworks
>advertising their new Talking Tools product.  It seems very good.  I have no
>use for it, however.  But I would like to play with SpeakIt. . .and I don't
>want to spend $60 (or $35) for all those tools.
>	I think what Byteworks may want to do is make SpeakIt freeware, but
>only the executable, not the source.  Then people can play with it, and if
>they are interested in buying Talking Tools, they can use SpeakIt to test
>the quality of output.  This is just an idea, what does everyone else
>think?  Do you think we should ask them so we can try it out?
>--
>The Ravings of the Insane Maniac Sameer Parekh -- zane@ddsw1.MCS.COM

	I agree wholeheartedly.  I got the same flyer from ByteWorks, and
yes, this tool is indeed interesting, and it reminded me so much of the good
old Talking SAM (I think the name is something like that) on the 8 bit days...
I would hope that the sound quality of SpeakIt will be better than SAM :).

	Oh well, I think it is time for another letter writing campaign.

Jimmy Shaw
jimmys@ics.uci.edu

In article <1991May28.024749.27455@ddsw1.MCS.COM> zane@ddsw1.MCS.COM (Sameer Parekh) writes:

>	I think what Byteworks may want to do is make SpeakIt freeware, but
>only the executable, not the source.  Then people can play with it, and if
>they are interested in buying Talking Tools, they can use SpeakIt to test
>the quality of output.  This is just an idea, what does everyone else
>think?  Do you think we should ask them so we can try it out?

Unfortunately, Byte Works doesn't have that option.  At least initially,
the only way the Talking Tools are available are as tool sets, which means
that to distribute SpeakIt they'd have to distribute the tools as well.

Future versions may have library functions they could link in, but Mike
currently doesn't have that option.  Otherwise, it's a good idea.  :)
Matt Deatherage, Developer Technical  | The opinions expressed herein are
Support, Apple Computer, Inc.         | not those of Apple Computer, and
Personal mail only, please.  Thanks.  | shame on you for thinking otherwise.
^^^^^^^^ Technical questions are not personal. Please post them instead.