[comp.sys.apple2] gif viewers

v097pba8@ubvmsd.cc.buffalo.edu (Ken F Morton) (10/07/90)

    Could someone lead me to some nice GIF viewers that can convert hi-res
files without trunciating (sp?)?  Thanks...

Ken

carndt@NIKE.CALPOLY.EDU (Chris Arndt) (05/26/91)

I am looking for a GIF image viewer for my GS. I have tried gif.sys16
(gif.3200.shk). It only handles one size image, and the NASA images
I am interested in are larger than that.

Does anyone know of a program that will do this?

(and where it can be obtained?)

Thanks,

Chris Arndt    carndt@pan.calpoly.edu

carndt@NIKE.CALPOLY.EDU (Chris Arndt) writes:
>I am looking for a GIF image viewer for my GS. I have tried gif.sys16
>(gif.3200.shk). It only handles one size image, and the NASA images
>I am interested in are larger than that.

	Gif3200 deinitely CAN handle images greater than 320 * 200. Either
you have the earlier version, or possibly misunderstood the documentation.
(the latter is not meant as an insult)

	I believe version .2 is the one that handles bigger images.
Unfortunately it's kind of a pain to use now since you have to either
scale an image down (which isn't that bad), or start at an arbitrary
X,Y position in the picture...

	SHRConvert (or SuperConvert, the commercial "cousin" of SHRConvert
that I believe has many more options than SHRConvert) is the only option
if you want to be able to scroll around a full picture. Note that
both SHRConvert and SuperConvert (*) are really really really really
painfully slow. I can not say that I have done better, as I have not written
a GIF decoder, but Todd Whisell has said that original 'test runs' of
a program he's in the process of writing that were FULLY IN C were faster
than SHRConvert. And a BASIC/machine language combo was faster too.

	When Lord High Giffer (Todd Whisell's program) comes out, you'll
see we've acheived speed and elegance in GIF decoders on the GS (finally).

(*) I am making an assumption here. I mailed Jason Harper on CompuServe
about the "speed contest" for GIF decoders on the GS.. He said he had no
interest in trying to make his the fastest decoder. If his were better
I guess he'd have a valid point, but from the partially completed versions
of GIF3200 (i.e. version .2, not a "full" release version) and LHG (I'm a
beta tester), they can create output just as nice as SHRConvert in
times sometimes an order of magnitude better.
--
/unknown@ucscb.ucsc.edu       Apple IIGS Forever!        unknown@cats.ucsc.edu\
|WANT to help get ULTIMA VI //e or GS written?-mail me. CHEAP CD info-mail me.|

In article <16220@darkstar.ucsc.edu> unknown@ucscb.UCSC.EDU (The Unknown User) writes:

>	SHRConvert (or SuperConvert, the commercial "cousin" of SHRConvert
>that I believe has many more options than SHRConvert) is the only option
>if you want to be able to scroll around a full picture. Note that
>--
>/unknown@ucscb.ucsc.edu       Apple IIGS Forever!        unknown@cats.ucsc.edu\

I believe that the Graphics Exchange, a fine program from Roger Wagner
Publishing, also has this capability with the first library disk.  I'm not
100% sure though.

TGE often gets left out of these discussions because it doesn't have the
wide-distrubution shareware background of SuperConvert.  It is, however, a
fine and useful program.

Matt Deatherage, Developer Technical  | The opinions expressed herein are
Support, Apple Computer, Inc.         | not those of Apple Computer, and
Personal mail only, please.  Thanks.  | shame on you for thinking otherwise.
^^^^^^^^ Technical questions are not personal. Please post them instead.

kenfair@flammulated.rice.edu (Kenneth Jason Fair) (05/31/91)

Regarding PD GIF viewers:

Don't overlook ShowPic 5.6, the picture viewing NDA!  I forget who
it's by, but it is shareware and an excellent value.  It can view 320,
640, 3200, and GIF files with some scrolling.  It also lets you
convert between various graphic formats.  It is available via
anonymous ftp from wuarchive.wustl.edu and probably several others
like tybalt.caltech.edu.  A must have!

Mr Toaster

--
Kenneth J. Fair | kenfair@owlnet.rice.edu | AOL: Mr Toaster  ::POP::
"Not all Apple dealers carry the Apple II product line."