[comp.sys.apple2] What is Fatal System Error 0308?

giovin@medr0.ecs.umass.edu (Rocky J Giovinazzo) (05/23/91)

I often get fatal system error 0308.  Does anyone have any idea what
this is?  It most often occurs when running graphics programs.

Thanks,
Rocky Giovinazzo

meekins@anaconda.cis.ohio-state.edu (Tim Meekins) (05/23/91)

In article <1991May22.213859.27603@risky.ecs.umass.edu> giovin@medr0.ecs.umass.edu (Rocky J Giovinazzo) writes:
>I often get fatal system error 0308.  Does anyone have any idea what
>this is?  It most often occurs when running graphics programs.

It means a lot of terms, but the final conclusion is, you need a fan. Basically
your GS is getting too warm, which is throwing the timing off. Have you ever
gotten an error $681? This is also a good indicator.

If you *do* have a fan, then you'll need to keep the case propped open.
My GS is *extremely* heat sensitive (the TWGS doesn't help much). On these
warm summer days I have to totally remove the top off the GS so it will
even run. I am also using an internal fan, but even it doesn't help much
on the hot days.

--
++------------S-U-P-P-O-R-T---S-H-A-R-E-W-A-R-E---O-R---D-I-E-!-----------++
|| Tim Meekins                   ||  Snail Mail:           ||   Apple II  ||

dlyons@Apple.COM (David A Lyons) (05/23/91)

In article <1991May22.213859.27603@risky.ecs.umass.edu> giovin@medr0.ecs.umass.edu (Rocky J Giovinazzo) writes:
>I often get fatal system error 0308.  Does anyone have any idea what
>this is?  It most often occurs when running graphics programs.
>
>Thanks,
>Rocky Giovinazzo

Error $0308 means that the "heartbeat interrupt queue" was discovered to
be screwed up.  Meaning something went wild and changed some part of memory
that it had no business messing with.

It could *conceivably* be bad RAM chips, but most likely it is a software
problem.

Try to narrow down the problem--does it only happen with a few specific
applications?  Try removing any third-party desk accessories or setup
files and see if that has any effect; if it does, put them back one at
a time and maybe you can determine which one is misbehaving.  "Flaky"
problems like this are hard to pinpoint sometimes, because just removing
something could make the problem go away "by accident", just by changing
the relative positions of things in memory.
--
David A. Lyons, Apple Computer, Inc.      |   DAL Systems
Apple II System Software Engineer         |   P.O. Box 875

My opinions are my own, not Apple's.

giovin@medr0.ecs.umass.edu (Rocky J Giovinazzo) (05/24/91)

In article <124466@tut.cis.ohio-state.edu> meekins@anaconda.cis.ohio-state.edu (Tim Meekins) writes:
>In article <1991May22.213859.27603@risky.ecs.umass.edu> giovin@medr0.ecs.umass.edu (Rocky J Giovinazzo) writes:
>>I often get fatal system error 0308.  Does anyone have any idea what
>>this is?  It most often occurs when running graphics programs.

>If you *do* have a fan, then you'll need to keep the case propped open.
>My GS is *extremely* heat sensitive (the TWGS doesn't help much). On these
>warm summer days I have to totally remove the top off the GS so it will
>even run. I am also using an internal fan, but even it doesn't help much
>on the hot days.

This seems kind of strange-- I've got a system saver GS fan and
the only cards I have are a stereo & memory card.  Does the GS really
eat up enough energy to cause this problem?

Rocky Giovinazzo

In article <53246@apple.Apple.COM> dlyons@Apple.COM (David A Lyons) writes:
>In article <1991May22.213859.27603@risky.ecs.umass.edu> giovin@medr0.ecs.umass.edu (Rocky J Giovinazzo) writes:
>>I often get fatal system error 0308.  Does anyone have any idea what
>>this is?  It most often occurs when running graphics programs.
>Error $0308 means that the "heartbeat interrupt queue" was discovered to
>be screwed up.  Meaning something went wild and changed some part of memory
>that it had no business messing with.
>
>It could *conceivably* be bad RAM chips, but most likely it is a software
>problem.
>
>Try to narrow down the problem--does it only happen with a few specific
>applications?  Try removing any third-party desk accessories or setup
>files and see if that has any effect; if it does, put them back one at
>a time and maybe you can determine which one is misbehaving.  "Flaky"
>problems like this are hard to pinpoint sometimes, because just removing
>something could make the problem go away "by accident", just by changing
>the relative positions of things in memory.

I just had work done on my machine a couple months ago and it apparently
passed whatever diagnostics the dealers run.  I assume the diagnostics
check for bad RAM chips?

Rocky Giovinazzo

WAXMONRW@SNYBUFVA.BITNET (05/25/91)

RE: GS Diagnotic - WAS RE: What is Fatal System Error 0308?
azzo said:
Rocky Giovinzzo said:

Much deleted:
>It could *co>nceivably* be bad RAM chips, but most likely it is a software
>>problem.

More deleted:

>I just had work done on my machine a couple months ago and it apparently
>passed whatever diagnostics the dealers run.  I assume the diagnostics
>check for bad RAM chips?

Version 2.0 of the gs diantostic disk (Apple's) does have a test for RAM
chips. The interface is a little awkward but presumably a trained repairman
can use it effectively.  I am not sure, however, if the results of the
various diagnostic tests are always valid. The date on the disk is 1986;
doesn't that predate the ROM 03?

Ray Waxmonksy (waxmonrw@snybufva)
Dept. of Gegraphy
Buffalo State College

steveb@pro-novapple.cts.com (Steve Breeding) (05/28/91)

>I often get fatal system error 0308.  Does anyone have any idea what
>this is?  It most often occurs when running graphics programs.
>
>Thanks,
>Rocky Giovinazzo

$0308   Detected Damaged Heartbeat queue

What it means???     Beats me...    Maybe one of the Apple // gurus will
tell
you....

----
ProLine:  steveb@pro-novapple
Internet: steveb@pro-novapple.cts.com
UUCP:     crash!pro-novapple!steveb
ARPA:     crash!pro-novapple!steveb@nosc.mil

kenfair@flammulated.rice.edu (Kenneth Jason Fair) (05/29/91)

In article <1991May24.031150.18583@risky.ecs.umass.edu> giovin@medr0.ecs.umass.edu (Rocky J Giovinazzo) writes:
>In article <124466@tut.cis.ohio-state.edu> meekins@anaconda.cis.ohio-state.edu (Tim Meekins) writes:
>>In article <1991May22.213859.27603@risky.ecs.umass.edu> giovin@medr0.ecs.umass.edu (Rocky J Giovinazzo) writes:
>>>I often get fatal system error 0308.  Does anyone have any idea what
>>>this is?  It most often occurs when running graphics programs.
>
>>If you *do* have a fan, then you'll need to keep the case propped open.
>>My GS is *extremely* heat sensitive (the TWGS doesn't help much). On these
>>warm summer days I have to totally remove the top off the GS so it will
>>even run. I am also using an internal fan, but even it doesn't help much
>>on the hot days.
>
>This seems kind of strange-- I've got a system saver GS fan and
>the only cards I have are a stereo & memory card.  Does the GS really
>eat up enough energy to cause this problem?

The answer is yes.  I too was getting error $0308 with only a memory
card and a modem.  I added a fan (AE's Conserver) to the system, and I
had no more problems.  I also have the built-in fan of the Vulcan HD I
have installed, so heat is no longer a problem.

I have a question, though.  Because I have my monitor sitting on top
of the computer, all the excess heat that the fans draw from the
interior of the computer is now going into the monitor.  Can this
cause a problem?

Kenneth Fair

--
"Not all Apple dealers carry the Apple II product  | Kenneth J. Fair
 line."  - p.92, _The Apple II Guide_              | Rice Univ. Physics Dept.

apollo@pro-hindugods.cts.com (Amrit Chauhan) (06/01/91)

>I often get fatal system error 0308.  Does anyone have any idea what
>this is?  It most often occurs when running graphics programs.
>
>Thanks,
>Rocky Giovinazzo

        I get the same error when I run a 3200 GIF converter.  It makes no
sense to me, and I'd really like to know what it is and maybe why it happens.
Would some "Apple guru" please help me and Rocky out.

Amrit

==The Hindu Love Gods BBS - - - - Bloomfield Hills, MI - - - - 313/644-0481===
ProLine:apollo@pro-hindugods     | Internet:apollo@pro-hindugods.cts.com     |
UUCP: crash!pro-hindugods!apollo | ARPA: crash!pro-hindugods!apollo@nosc.mil |