[comp.sys.apple2] Apple drives -- 3.5 inch *** Help me identify please**

mdgoodma@CRDEC8.APGEA.ARMY.MIL (Mack Goodman) (05/22/91)

I have just came across a 3.5 inch drive which I am totally unfamiliar
with.  I know little about Apple anyway, but......
This has a model # on the bottom of M0130.

What does it work with?  It has a 15 pin male connector.
How much for a card?
whats its' specs? ?K

Any info will be much appreciated.  E-mail to me is
probably most appropriate.
I appreciate this so much.  This network is a most useful tool.

Mack
mdgoodma@crdec8.apgea.army.mil

sk2f+@andrew.cmu.edu (Seth D. Kadesh) (05/22/91)

It sounds like an old 400K macintosh drive.  I know the old macintosh
mice had similar model numbers (M100 ?).  Is the drive a dark beige?
It should also have rounded edges on the sides.
Someone else should confirm this - I don't have one to look at here.

-seth                  tHe mAd ScienTisT, and other carnations
-----------------------
sk2f@andrew.cmu.edu   | everything seems so easy this way but I'm going under
tmSatCMU@DRYCAS.BITNET| fast, I'm slipping away, am I so crazy? - Marillion

sb@pnet91.cts.com (Stephen Brown) (05/23/91)

I'm looking for a 3.5" drive for my brother's brand new IIgs.
[no...! don't flame me for trying to buy/sell here! I'll buy the thing from a
dealer!!]

I've read about the AMR drive ($200, except it has a bug with the ROM 03 when
being polled), the AE drive (not as reliable as Apple's drive, $200, and do I
want to support AE?), the Sprite SD340 (according to InCider, only works as an
800K drive on a II)...

Other than Apple's drive (almost $600 in Canada, new  :(     ), are there
alternatives? Will the Dataspace 800K drive work on a IIgs? I can get one
cheaply, but I don't want to get it if it won't work properly. Does anyone
have one working on a IIGS?

Thanks...

| Stephen Brown                           Toronto, Canada |
| Internet: sb@pnet91.cts.com      UUCP: utzoo!pnet91!sb  |
| Apple II Forever !!!                                    |
| Like my new .signature. ?    Too bad.                   |

WAXMONRW@SNYBUFVA.BITNET (05/25/91)

RE: Subj:       RE: Apple drives -- 3.5 inch  *** Help me identify please**

Stephe Brown said:

>I'm looking for a 3.5" drive for my brother's brand new IIgs.
>[no...! don't flame me for trying to buy/sell here! I'll buy the thing from a
>dealer!!]

I>'ve read about the AMR drive ($200, except it has a bug with the ROM 03 when
b>eing polled), the AE drive (not as reliable as Apple's drive, $200, and do I
w>ant to support AE?), the Sprite SD340 (according to InCider, only works as an
8>00K drive on a II)...

What bug in the AMR 3.5 drive? I have had one for over a year with no problems;
I do have a ROM 03. I have aboslutely no reservations in recommending the AMR
dirve.

Ray Waxmonsky (waxmonrw@snybufva)
Dept. of Geography
Buffalo State College

MQUINN@UTCVM.BITNET (05/26/91)

On Fri, 24 May 91 13:44:00 EST <WAXMONRW%SNYBUFVA.BITNET@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU> said:

>What bug in the AMR 3.5 drive? I have had one for over a year with no problems;
>I do have a ROM 03. I have aboslutely no reservations in recommending the AMR
>dirve.

I think that on a ROM 01 it can cause problems with 3200 color programs, like
get the VBL timing off and screw with the colors.

>Ray Waxmonsky (waxmonrw@snybufva)
>Dept. of Geography
>Buffalo State College

  BITNET--  mquinn@utcvm    <------------send files here
  pro-line-- mquinn@pro-gsplus.cts.com

sb@pnet91.cts.com (Stephen Brown) (05/30/91)

WAXMONRW@SNYBUFVA.BITNET writes:

[cut]

>What bug in the AMR 3.5 drive? I have had one for over a year with no problems;
>I do have a ROM 03. I have aboslutely no reservations in recommending the AMR
>dirve.
>
>Ray Waxmonsky (waxmonrw@snybufva)
>Dept. of Geography
>Buffalo State College

I remember reading that if you have an AMR drive on a ROM 03, and you're using
the Finder (or other program that polls removable media drives) that Finder
will halt in its tracks (just stop) if the drive is empty. I know this
appeared in something... probably an A2central, but I haven't been able to
find it. Now, if AMR has upgraded their ROMs or PALs to work on ROM 03, great!
Can you try this experiment and report the results.

WAXMONRW@SNYBUFVA.BITNET (06/01/91)

Stephe Brown said:

>WAXMONRW@SNYBUFVA.BITNET writes:
>

>>What bug in the AMR 3.5 drive? I have had one for over a year with no problems
   ;
>>I do have a ROM 03. I have aboslutely no reservations in recommending the AMR
>>dirve.

>I remember reading that if you have an AMR drive on a ROM 03, and you're using
>the Finder (or other program that polls removable media drives) that Finder
>will halt in its tracks (just stop) if the drive is empty. I know this
>appeared in something... probably an A2central, but I haven't been able to
f>ind it. Now, if AMR has upgraded their ROMs or PALs to work on ROM 03, great!
C>an you try this experiment and report the results.

I do not use the Finder. I use George Wilde's UtilityWorks and his companion
UtilityLaunch, which must be the best $25 GS shareware bargain in existence.
However, when Andy comes out with the new Finder this summer, I will give it
a try with the AMR drive.

Ray Waxmonksy
(waxmonrwrw@snybufva)
Dept. of Geography