[comp.sys.apple2] ProTERM info needed

m_wommack@etsuv2.etsu.edu (Mike Wommack) (05/09/91)

I have version 2.1 of ProTERM. I was wondering if it has been upgraded
 and, if so, what new features it has as opposed to version 2.1.

thnks you
Mike Wommack       BITnet- m_wommack@etsuvax2
                   Internet- m_wommack@etsuv2.etsu.edu
                   THEnet- etsuv2::m_wommack
		   {span,MFEnet,HEPnet}- utspan::utadnx::etsuv2::m_wommack

kjs39186@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu (Kent Squires) (05/09/91)

m_wommack@etsuv2.etsu.edu (Mike Wommack) writes:

>I have version 2.1 of ProTERM. I was wondering if it has been upgraded
> and, if so, what new features it has as opposed to version 2.1.

>thnks you
>Mike Wommack       BITnet- m_wommack@etsuvax2
>                   Internet- m_wommack@etsuv2.etsu.edu

I've got v2.2 and rumor has it that v3.0 is in development now, but that it
may be a GS only package.  Anyway, I can't see much difference in v2.1 and
v2.2 other than the macros I wrote for the "F-Exec a Macro File" function for
v2.1 didn't work on v2.2 -- anyhbody knows what gives?
| Move over Rover &  |Email Addresses: Kent Squires "goo goo g'joob"      |
| let Jimi take over!|                Internet: kjs39186@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu |
| -------------------|                 ProLine: kents@pro-apa             |
| I wouldn't do it   |_______   America OnLine: kents12                   |
| for all the farms in Cuba! |         FidoNet: 233/15  Kent Squires      |
|____________________________|____________________________________________|

In article <8MAY91222500@etsuv2.etsu.edu> m_wommack@etsuv2.etsu.edu writes:
>I have version 2.1 of ProTERM. I was wondering if it has been upgraded
> and, if so, what new features it has as opposed to version 2.1.

	Yes, there is version 2.2 of ProTERM.

	It has a bunch of bug fixes, most notably it doesn't hang
in various situations when you try to do something and your source disk
is not online.

	There are rumors about a version 3.0 that is supposed to be out
"soon".. Since it's a rumor, I dunno how much credence to put in it.
--
/unknown@ucscb.ucsc.edu       Apple IIGS Forever!        unknown@cats.ucsc.edu\
|WANT to help get ULTIMA VI //e or GS written?-mail me. CHEAP CD info-mail me.|

philip@utstat.uucp (Philip McDunnough) (05/10/91)

In article <15578@darkstar.ucsc.edu> unknown@ucscb.UCSC.EDU (The Unknown User) writes:

[stuff about ProTerm2.2 vs 2.1]

>	There are rumors about a version 3.0 that is supposed to be out
>"soon".. Since it's a rumor, I dunno how much credence to put in it.

It's hardly a rumour. Just call up Insync and they will tell you that
is will be released soon.(They will be more specific, but I just can't
remember the exact timing).

Philip McDunnough
University of Toronto

In article <1991May9.044733.220@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu> kjs39186@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu (Kent Squires) writes:
>I've got v2.2 and rumor has it that v3.0 is in development now, but that it
>may be a GS only package.  Anyway, I can't see much difference in v2.1 and

	I have always heard that ProTERM will -NEVER- be a GS only
program.
--

lucifer@world.std.com (Kevin S Green) (05/10/91)

In article <1991May9.230244.25788@utstat.uucp> philip@utstat.uucp (Philip McDunnough) writes:
|In article <15578@darkstar.ucsc.edu> unknown@ucscb.UCSC.EDU (The Unknown User) writes:
|>	There are rumors about a version 3.0 that is supposed to be out
|>"soon".. Since it's a rumor, I dunno how much credence to put in it.
|
|It's hardly a rumour. Just call up Insync and they will tell you that
|is will be released soon.(They will be more specific, but I just can't
|remember the exact timing).

I was on America Online last night and checked in the Direct Connect
area for InSync. The skinny from the their representative there is
either late "spring" or sometime in June '91. There was no mention
that it would be a GS-only program though.

--
Kevin S. Green / lucifer@world.std.com / {xylogics;uunet}!world!lucifer

taob@micor.ocunix.on.ca (Brian Tao) (05/11/91)

From unknown@ucscb.UCSC.EDU (The Unknown User):

> In article <1991May9.044733.220@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu>
> kjs39186@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu (Ken t Squires) writes:
>>I've got v2.2 and rumor has it that v3.0 is in development now, but that
>> it may be a GS only package.  Anyway, I can't see much difference in
>> v2.1 and
>
>        I have always heard that ProTERM will -NEVER- be a GS only
> program.

    Correct.  Greg et al. are doing just fine with an 8-bit version of
ProTerm.  I agree it would be great if they did take the time to re-write it
as a desktop app, but I'm happy with the way it is now.  ProTERM 3.0 is
scheduled for release the last week of June, possibly the first week of
July.

--
Brian T. Tao   *B-)  |  taob@micor.ocunix.on.ca  |  "Though this be
2705-1510 Riverside  |           - or -          |   madness, yet there

Peter.G.Wilding@dartmouth.edu (Peter G. Wilding) (05/15/91)

In article <1991May9.230244.25788@utstat.uucp>
philip@utstat.uucp (Philip McDunnough) writes:

> [stuff about ProTerm2.2 vs 2.1]
>
> >	There are rumors about a version 3.0 that is supposed to be out
> >"soon".. Since it's a rumor, I dunno how much credence to put in it.

I think 2.2 is worse than 2.1.  It's got some seriously cranky bugs in
it which 2.1 at least had under control.  It hung on me so much I had
to go back to 2.1.

daveharv@pro-novapple.cts.com (Dave Harvey-SysAdmin) (05/15/91)

>    Correct.  Greg et al. are doing just fine with an 8-bit version of
>ProTerm.  I agree it would be great if they did take the time to re-write it
>as a desktop app, but I'm happy with the way it is now.  ProTERM 3.0 is
>scheduled for release the last week of June, possibly the first week of
>July.
I hope that the new version will at least support AppleTalk.  Right now I
have to go to the control panel, disable Appletalk and re-boot when I want to
use ProTerm. (I use AppleTalk to connect to a LaserPrinter).

proline: pro-novapple!daveharv                    |
uucp: crash!pnet01!pro-novapple!daveharv          |   Pro-novapple BBS
arpa: crash!pnet01!pro-novapple!daveharv@nosc.mil |  300/1200/2400/9600 Baud
Internet: daveharv@pro-novapple.cts.com           |    703-671-0416

Northern Virginia Apple Users Group               |
P.O. Box 8211, Falls Church, VA 22041             |

R79QC@CUNYVM.BITNET (William Katz) (05/15/91)

I used to have v2.1 but now i'm using v2.2 of ProTERM.  It still has
many bugs but i guess it'll do until version 3??? I do agree that it
seriously lacks Zmodem's full capabilities; Zmodem doesn't even work
properly on it. Compared to the programs in msdos, it has a nice
interface:it's menu driven, easy commands... but it needs better or
more improved protocols. I think the author should come out with a
version for the //gs to implement it's 16 bit power.

---------------------
William Katz 'The Skier'

Internet:  wkatz@gnh-applesauce.cts.com
BITNET:  r79qc@cunyvm
CompuServe:  70031,3015    (If I still have free time on there.)

alfter@nevada.edu (SCOTT ALFTER) (05/16/91)

In article <1991May15.015851.21085@dartvax.dartmouth.edu> Peter.G.Wilding@dartmouth.edu (Peter G. Wilding) writes:
>I think 2.2 is worse than 2.1.  It's got some seriously cranky bugs in
>it which 2.1 at least had under control.

I've never had trouble with 2.2.  2.1, though...:-|

Scott Alfter-----------------------------_/_----------------------------
Ask me about SoftDAC!  Play Mac sounds  / v \ on your Apple II!
Internet: alfter@uns-helios.nevada.edu (    ( Apple II:
   GEnie: S.ALFTER                      \_^_/ the power to be your best!

In article <91135.105205R79QC@CUNYVM.BITNET> R79QC@CUNYVM.BITNET (William Katz) writes:
>more improved protocols. I think the author should come out with a
>version for the //gs to implement it's 16 bit power.

What advantages would there be in that?  Telecomm isn't exactly the
most processor-intensive computing task in the world.  When you're
dealing exclusively with 8-bit data (or even 7-bit), what's the point
in making a GS-specific telecomm program?  The only use I could see
for that would be color ANSI graphics (don't try it in DHR :-| ).

philip@utstat.uucp (Philip McDunnough) (05/16/91)

In article <1991May15.215508.5296@nevada.edu> alfter@nevada.edu (SCOTT ALFTER) writes:
>In article <91135.105205R79QC@CUNYVM.BITNET> R79QC@CUNYVM.BITNET (William Katz) writes:
>>more improved protocols. I think the author should come out with a
>>version for the //gs to implement it's 16 bit power.

>What advantages would there be in that?  Telecomm isn't exactly the
>most processor-intensive computing task in the world.  When you're
>dealing exclusively with 8-bit data (or even 7-bit), what's the point
>in making a GS-specific telecomm program?

What if you wanted to run a communications program off a server, as I
have done with a certain GS/OS communications' program, or if you wanted
to access volumes(CD-ROM's,partitions, tape,etc...) that were not accesible
to ProDos? It seems to me that a good GS/OS communications' program is
needed, probably really needed.

Philip McDunnough
University of Toronto

R79QC@CUNYVM.BITNET (William Katz) (05/17/91)

Well, first of all Zmodem could be improved with intelligent crash
recovery, and Ymodem-g for those mnp modems.  Also a nice enhancement
would be the ability to add external protocols.
Most msdos programs have this plus those super fast ones like hyperp,
puma, and of course bi-modem (ul and dl simultaneously!)

Hmm, color ANSI would be very nice..it could be done on the //gs.. Look
at AGATE, it has the extended ibm character set, and now even the ANSI
music capabilities! I haven't tried that music stuff, but it looks very
good in dhr mode as compared to just inverse characters on Proterm.

---------------------

matthew@pro-nka.cts.com (Matthew McGehrin) (05/17/91)

>> [stuff about ProTerm2.2 vs 2.1]
>>
>> >     There are rumors about a version 3.0 that is supposed to be out
>> >"soon".. Since it's a rumor, I dunno how much credence to put in it.

>I think 2.2 is worse than 2.1.  It's got some seriously cranky bugs in
>it which 2.1 at least had under control.  It hung on me so much I had
>to go back to 2.1.

Same here. I got a copy of 2.2 from a friend, and I said this software is
worst then my 2.1 I have. For example I didnt like the way it handled
vt100, when something was supposed to be inversed, it would inverse the
whole screen, while 2.1 would only inverse whatever the bbs told it, for
example P-password. 2.1 would inverse the 'P', and 2.2 would inverse
p-password. Really anonying.

-- matthew

my 25 cents worth

Internet : matthew@pro-nka.cts.com  / Bitnet : ????

"I stayed up all night playing poker with tarot cards.  I got a full house
and four people died." -- Steve Wright

kjs39186@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu (Kent Squires) (05/17/91)

alfter@nevada.edu (SCOTT ALFTER) writes:

>I've never had trouble with 2.2.  2.1, though...:-|

Have you tried writing macros (Open-Apple-F Macros)? The ones I wrote for
2.1 don't work on 2.2.

| Move over Rover &  |Email Addresses: Kent Squires "goo goo g'joob"      |
| let Jimi take over!|                Internet: kjs39186@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu |
| -------------------|                 ProLine: kents@pro-apa             |
| I wouldn't do it   |_______   America OnLine: kents12                   |
| for all the farms in Cuba! |         FidoNet: 233/15  Kent Squires      |
|____________________________|____________________________________________|

PKBRANDON@MSUS1.MSUS.EDU (05/17/91)

"I got a copy of 2.2 from a friend..."
Sounds like --matthew didn't pay for his 25 cents worth!

kreme@isis.cs.du.edu (Dave Sim's Ugly Brother) (05/18/91)

In article <C074151EE0001B20@MSUS1.MSUS.EDU> PKBRANDON@MSUS1.MSUS.EDU writes:
>"I got a copy of 2.2 from a friend..."
>Sounds like --matthew didn't pay for his 25 cents worth!

Hey, I borrowed 2.2 from a friend.  I figured if I was going to spend $35
(half what ProTERM cost me) to upgrade to 2.2, I would MAKE SURE it worked
for me.  It didn't.  It is certainly not worth the price of the upgrade.

For $35 bucks I could buy Zterm and still have enough left over for lunch
and the Golden Arches Country Club!

--
| kreme@nyx.cs.du.edu |The Coven BBS (303) 777 2911 PCP via CODEN Stalr*nk too|
|---------------------|100 Megs of storage.  Areas for IBM/MAC/Apple. Games.  |

PKBRANDON@MSUS1.MSUS.EDU (05/18/91)

Sorry for the flame;-]; sometimes "copies of copies" are less than reliable!

greg@hoss.unl.edu (Lig Lury Jr.) (05/18/91)

matthew@pro-nka.cts.com (Matthew McGehrin) writes:
>Peter.G.Wilding@dartmouth.edu () writes:

>>I think 2.2 is worse than 2.1.  It's got some seriously cranky bugs in
>>it which 2.1 at least had under control.  It hung on me so much I had
>>to go back to 2.1.

>Same here. I got a copy of 2.2 from a friend, and I said this software is
>worst then my 2.1 I have. For example I didnt like the way it handled
>vt100, when something was supposed to be inversed, it would inverse the
>whole screen, while 2.1 would only inverse whatever the bbs told it, for
>example P-password. 2.1 would inverse the 'P', and 2.2 would inverse
>p-password. Really anonying.

I've never had this problem.  Perhaps the BBS is sending the wrong codes
to your system, or trying to send color codes that are being
misinterpreted by ProTERM.  (I know of some boards that set their normal
text to the equivalent of bolded text on Zterm on the Mac.)  Such codes
could do strange things with ProTERM.

It is quite possible it is v2.1 that is broken, not correctly translating
the vt-100 codes.  I've never had v2.2 hang on me for other than
understandable phenomena, like disconnected keyboard or receiving an
endless number of ^M's.

///   ____   \\\  Lig       "By the way, what does teleport mean?"  "Where
| |/ /    \ \| |  Lury    does it say teleport!"  "Oh, right over here, just
 \\_|\____/|_//   Jr.     below the word Emergency, above the word `System',
greg \_\\\/ hoss.unl.edu    and next to a sign which says `Out of Order'."

matthew@pro-nka.cts.com (Matthew McGehrin) (05/19/91)

> "I got a copy of 2.2 from a friend..."
> Sounds like --matthew didn't pay for his 25 cents worth!

And good thing that I did. 2.2 would be a waste of money.

Internet : matthew@pro-nka.cts.com  / Bitnet : ????

"I stayed up all night playing poker with tarot cards.  I got a full house
and four people died." -- Steve Wright

granite@pro-merlin.cts.com (George 'Chip' Griffin) (05/19/91)

Does anyone have any information of the improvements from earlier versions of
ProTERM in version 3.0?

Live Free or Die!
        -= Granite =-
        G.Griffin

In article <1991May19.211412.8118@clark.edu> matthew@pro-nka.cts.com (Matthew McGehrin) writes:

>> "I got a copy of 2.2 from a friend..."
>> Sounds like --matthew didn't pay for his 25 cents worth!
>>
>And good thing that I did. 2.2 would be a waste of money.

This is really unjustified.  I use ProTERM 2.2 on a daily basis for all kinds
of telecommunications needs, from Usenet to GEnie to various BBSs.  It works
with AppleTalk (not fully, but well enough), handles all my file transfer
needs, and does so well and efficiently.  It's tons better than 2.1 in my
opinion, and I like to think my opinion is not a waste.

The only depressing part of this discussion is all the people who say they
don't need a GS/OS version because all they ever use is P8 anyway.  And
people wonder why GS-specific software doesn't get written.

Matt Deatherage, Developer Technical  | The opinions expressed herein are
Support, Apple Computer, Inc.         | not those of Apple Computer, and
Personal mail only, please.  Thanks.  | shame on you for thinking otherwise.
^^^^^^^^ Technical questions are not personal. Please post them instead.

georgeb@seer.UUCP (George Bako) (05/26/91)

   Does anybody know if ProTERM 3.0 is out yet??? I'm still using
version 2.2 which really isn't as bad as people say it is.  I've
never really had a problem with it, and I do a LOT of transferring
with it...

--
=======================================//         I didn't do it,
 UUCP: georgeb@seer.mystic.com        //     nobody saw me do it,   -- Bart

geniusman@pro-hindugods.cts.com (Chris Moylan) (05/28/91)

Not so bad, huh?  Got any massive amounts of errors on transfers, or
missing characters in your text?  I have those problems all the time, and
so do some other people I know who use ProTERM.  They BETTER come out with
v3.0 some time soon!

Chris
Chris Moylan
ProLine:  geniusman@pro-hindugods
Internet: geniusman@pro-hindugods.cts.com
UUCP:     crash!pro-hindugods!geniusman
ARPA:     crash!pro-hindugods!geniusman@nosc.mil

greg@hoss.unl.edu (Lig Lury Jr.) (05/29/91)

geniusman@pro-hindugods.cts.com (Chris Moylan) writes:

>Not so bad, huh?  Got any massive amounts of errors on transfers, or
>missing characters in your text?  I have those problems all the time, and
>so do some other people I know who use ProTERM.  They BETTER come out with
>v3.0 some time soon!

Nope, haven't had any of those problems myself.  Perhaps it is your
hardware setup which is causing the problem.  (The only time I ever lost
characters was when I was at 2400 bps with a remote system which was
constantly sending ^M's; I couldn't enter a single ProTERM command, nor
call up the menu.  The lost characters were in the Control Panel, the only
place I could go at that point.)

///   ____   \\\ "The major problem--one of the major problems, for there are
| |/ /    \ \| |       several--one of the many major problems with governing
 \\_|\____/|_//            people is of whom you get to do it, or more to the
greg \_\\\/ hoss.unl.edu    point, who gets people to let them do it to them."

lazlo@yenta.alb.nm.us (Lazlo Nibble) (05/29/91)

geniusman@pro-hindugods.cts.com (Chris Moylan) writes:

> Not so bad, huh?  Got any massive amounts of errors on transfers, or
> missing characters in your text?  I have those problems all the time,
> and so do some other people I know who use ProTERM.  They BETTER come
> out with v3.0 some time soon!

I use ProTerm 2.2 just about constantly (my Apple //e is a de facto smart
terminal running PT at this point -- it virtually never gets used for
anything else), I do plenty of file transfers, using PT's Zmodem batch
and UNIX sz/rz, and I *never* have any problems like the ones you describe.
Ever.

If I wasn't a former hardcore pirate myself, this is where I'd put my snotty
comment about relying on illegally-copied software. :-)

                                                  Lazlo (lazlo@triton.unm.edu)

steve@pro-hindugods.cts.com (Steve Fenwick) (05/30/91)

Just recently, I started to get foreign characters along with missing
characters.  It gets quite annoying and it's absolute _hell_ on GScii'ed
files.  However, I don't think that's ProTerm's fault.
It's probably a lot of extra line noise.  Sometimes phone companies have
extra noise if someones working on the line or something.

Steve

==The Hindu Love Gods BBS - - - - Bloomfield Hills, MI - - - - 313/644-0481===
ProLine: Steve@pro-hindugods     | Internet: Steve@pro-hindugods.cts.com     |
UUCP: crash!pro-hindugods!Steve  | ARPA: crash!pro-hindugods!Steve@nosc.mil  |

greg@hoss.unl.edu (Lig Lury Jr.) (05/31/91)

steve@pro-hindugods.cts.com (Steve Fenwick) writes:

>Just recently, I started to get foreign characters along with missing
>characters.  It gets quite annoying and it's absolute _hell_ on GScii'ed
>files.  However, I don't think that's ProTerm's fault.

Check your control panel settings.  You shouldn't be seeing anything other
than the standard character set you defined.

>It's probably a lot of extra line noise.  Sometimes phone companies have
>extra noise if someones working on the line or something.

You should hear my line.  The dedicated BBS line is noisier than the
dedicated voice line.  Isn't it wonderful?  You can tell the difference
just by ear.

geniusman@pro-hindugods.cts.com (Chris Moylan) (06/01/91)

>files.  However, I don't think that's ProTerm's fault.
>It's probably a lot of extra line noise.  Sometimes phone companies have
>extra noise if someones working on the line or something.

You wanna bet??  ProTERM does this to me ALL THE TIME!  It also does the same
thing to apollo@pro-hindugods.  The easy way to remedy it.  Change to another
telecom program and everything's fine, EVERY TIME.  I am now quite sure
ProTERM is at fault for most of the line-noise-type errors I get while
online, so then I just switch to AGATE 069, which works just fine.  BTW - if
you want a GSCII'ed file from a meProLine confernce, just type (x)modem file
and it will send the file out x-modem which will help correct errors.

Chris

Chris Moylan                    | ProLine: geniusman@pro-hindugods
CoSysop: Hindu Love Gods BBS    | Internet: geniusman@pro-hindugods.cts.com
313/644-0481                    | UUCP: crash!pro-hindugods!geniusman
300-9600 bps, v.32/v.42/v.42bis | ARPA: crash!pro-hindugods!geniusman@nosc.mil

geniusman@pro-hindugods.cts.com (Chris Moylan) (06/01/91)

You use an Apple //e.  I use a GS.  The problem must lie in their
differences, because there are 3 other GS users I know with similar
problems.  Relying on illegally copied software?  Even if I had copied
ProTERM, I still wouldn't rely on it!  Anyway, as soon as they come out
with v3.0, I'll be on the phone for my upgrade!