[comp.sys.apple2] Stuff

tm@polari.UUCP (Toshi Morita) (07/31/90)

nrunyon%peruvian.utah.edu@cs.utah.edu (Neil Runyon) writes:

>        I was contacted by Eric Mueller (the IIgs editor of 8/16) and he said
>that the first disk was not copyrighted, so they could distribute it, and
>give people an idea what they are all about, so it posting is okay.

Is this the same Eric Mueller that lived at 4-300 Williwaw Way at EAFB in
Alaska? I think it is...and if it's the same Eric then I'd like to get in touch
with him. I can be reached at 206-485-9544 for two weeks.
(Sorry to post this on net but my mail bounces 50% of the time)

greg@hoss.unl.edu (Hammer) writes:

>I'm having problems using ProTERM's scrollback buffer.  It seems that
>when in vt-100 mode (maybe others as well, I don't know) when a line is
>exactly 80 columns long, the program generates an unwanted blank line and
>continues on the line after the blank one.  (It shouldn't line-feed
>driver so that I can use vi without switching word-wrap modes, but while
>reading usenet messages, I want to scroll back and re-read parts of a
>message or capture it for reading offline, and I am annoyed that the line
>after the aforementioned blank line disappears from the scrollback
>buffer, and can't be recaptured other than re-reading the message and
>using the copy buffer (which also captures that --More-- prompt).

This is the ProTERM problem I complained about earlier - but some people
misunderstood and told me to turn off the word wrap mode or something.
ProTERM handles characters in the same fashion COUT does:
it performs a C/R immediately after printing on the 80th column.
This algorithm really isn't acceptable for a terminal program.
ProTERM should defer C/R until the next character to see if it really
needs it or not. Something like:

If (column == 81)
    if (char = 0x0d)
        Carriage_Return();
    else {
        Carriage_Return();
        putc(char);
        }
else
        putc(char);

(Apologies for any errors in pseudo-code)

The ESC character method of turning word-wrap on and off is unacceptable:
it's an attempt to use a feature to rememdy a inherent flaw in the terminal
program.

tm@polari.UUCP

sb%pnet91@UUNET.UU.NET (Stephen Brown) (10/20/90)

If Shane Z (ZATEZALO-S@osu-20.ircc.ohio-state-edu) asserts that Ralph Russo
has decided to attempt to phase out our II unless (a) the cheap Mactrash
doesn't do well, or (b) we whine too loudly, and

Dan Martinelli (dlmartin@PacBell.COM)
quotes the San Francisco Chonicle (quoting Robert Puette, Apple USA President)
for saying that Apple will phase out the II...

I wonder what our friends who ARE at Apple (and who were at Apple) have to say
about this.... If anything.

UUCP: lsuc!graham!pnet91!sb
INET: sb@pnet91.cts.com

sb@pnet91.cts.com (Stephen Brown) (11/21/90)

Two weeks ago, I sent a letter to various Apple executives, in which I gave my
perception of Apple's support of, committment to, and probably future for the
Apple II line (particularly the IIGS).

I extensively quoted John Sculley's famous  "open letter"  to fuel my
argument.

I got the surprise of my life on my answering machine this afternoon. Ralph
Russo (you know, 3rd in line to God) called me (really!) and invited me to
call him at his direct line, "to chat" about my letter and what he's going to
do with the Apple II line.

I have his number, and I guess I'm going to call him tomorrow. I wish Toronto
time wasn't so far ahead of Cupertino time, because it means a longer wait.

I am very surprised that he would call. I half-expected a 23rd level sales-rep
trainee to give me a call. Maybe. Let me just say that it was one, good
letter...

I'll post the outcome....
I just hope its good news.

UUCP: lsuc!graham!pnet91!sb
INET: sb@pnet91.cts.com

lucifer@world.std.com (Kevin S Green) (11/23/90)

Stephen,
  Assuming you have a computer version of the letter
(don't type it if you haven't already), would you
post the letter. It would be interesting to see what
kind of letter actually garners a response from
our 'favorite'sillicon sales company.

--
Kevin S. Green / lucifer@world.std.com / {xylogics;uunet}!world!lucifer
               AOL: Gargoth / BIX: Keving / Pro-line: kgreen@pro-angmar

mock@iris.ucdavis.edu (Kenrick J. Mock) (01/17/91)

Other secret keys in the X-mas demo:

1) "SAPIN"
2) "KILLKILL"
3) "FAG" (I think, can't quite remember)
4) Hold down OA while clicking on the credits option

Regarding the border-text thing, Mr. Z did release the source code for
it a while back....was angry at Joe Hack for "stealing" the code and
putting it in ECC's demo.  It's very short...if anyone wants it drop
me some email.

    "When you make your mark in the world, watch out for guys with erasers."
      - Wall Street Journal.
GEnie : K.MOCK        Net : mock@iris.ucdavis.edu, mock@alderon.lanl.gov

larry@lablues.UUCP (Lawrance A. Schneider) (06/02/91)

Chris Moylan:]Apple //gs Diagnostic programs?  Where did you pick these]up?  I need some because I get scattered GS errors, and]sometimes I think there's something wrong with my hardware,]I do have a lot of stuff inside it! :)     I gave a demonstration of "Managing Your Money" to SMAUG (?)in southern Maine.  Someone there was giving out the disk.  Theleader of the group is a straight i.e. honest, fellow so Iassumed that the disk is legal.  It will test every Apple I have:from a IIe/c to my ROM 3.  U

larry@lablues.UUCP (Lawrance A. Schneider) (06/03/91)

]"There are many people who have serious objections to GUI based
]systems. ...  All these spreadsheets,etc... simply do not measure
]up ... In fact, instead of adding more "capabilities" ...
]software and computer makers should be removing them. Make things
]simple, ..."
]Philip McDunnough, University of Toronto

I too have objections to GUIs!   Clearly, they make computers easier
for SOME people to use.  I'm not one ot them; I'm not smart enough
to figure out GUIs.

I have used many word processors, Word Perfect, Wordstar, AMI...
Word...; none compare to the simplicity and power of Apple Writer
2.0.  If I need to do something cute, difficult or whatever, I
write a WPL to do all the work for me.  Is it possible to use
Postscript without Apple Writer?!  Yet, is there a simpler, easier
program to use.  With Don Thompson's, Don Lancaster's and Chester
Page's enhancements, the program is still only 39 blocks long!
Give me simplicity and power any day.  Would but Apple Inc. release
the program to the public domain; they won't sell it, so let
everyone have it!!

]"...Nope, try again.  The R&D has been DONE.  The hardware
]is AVAILABLE.  All Apple has to do is incorporate it.
]  o 1024 by 1024 graphics -- available NOW.  [From Number Nine.]
]  o FP coprocessors -- available NOW.  [68881s.  Link into SANE.]
]  o 8 MHz CPUs -- available NOW.  [From WDC.]
]
]Maybe you think 8 MHz is too slow (Apple doesn't -- check the
]Mac Classic); then note that 17 and 25 MHz models are waiting on a
]PITTANCE of cash.  [ASIC.] "
]
]Robert Hardman

Why does Apple...
]"...a company that refuses to accept the possibility that the
]Xerox interface is NOT univerally viable nor universally intuitive?"
]
]Robert Hardman

Imagine the power of a 10megs (or better) 65816 (or better)
on a bus of equal speed with VGA (or better) Apple II unencumbered
by a Mac interface!!!!  Put the video on a card, thus making it an
option, and it would be cheap and would be almost as
good as having a SUN work station at home.

OH WELL, I CAN DREAM.         Larry

lablues!larry@mother.bates.edu

becoming_______                            |  Larry Schneider
  /    \   |    |  \/  |   /    \  |  \ |  |     04435-0060

/s