[comp.sys.apple2] Running II stuff from GS HD

basilisk@spica.ucsb.edu (Can't touch this...) (06/03/91)

I recently bought some Apple II programs dirt cheap and have been
trying to get them to run from my GS's hard drive without much luck.
I was able to copy the files from the pascal disks, but how are you
supposed to launch the things?  Also, one of the programs I bought was
Bard's Tale III.  I copied it to the hard drive with no problem, but
when it asks for a character disk, it can't find it and crashes.
Anyone know what's up with this?  Finally, can Wizardry V be run from
my hard drive?  Thanks in advance!

--
=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=
| Basilisk, who is he?  Basilisk, what is he?   | Ed Jordan               |

In article <11782@hub.ucsb.edu> basilisk@cornu.ucsb.edu writes:
>I recently bought some Apple II programs dirt cheap and have been
>trying to get them to run from my GS's hard drive without much luck.
>I was able to copy the files from the pascal disks, but how are you
>supposed to launch the things?  Also, one of the programs I bought was
>Bard's Tale III.  I copied it to the hard drive with no problem, but
>when it asks for a character disk, it can't find it and crashes.
>Anyone know what's up with this?  Finally, can Wizardry V be run from
>my hard drive?  Thanks in advance!

	Just a really quickie answer. I may answer more in depth later.

	You have to make a Pascal partition on your hard drive. You have to
have some sort of a hard drive partitioning program that can make a Pascal
partition.

	That is, to run things like Wizardry. I don't even know if Wizardry will
work from a hard drive, but I am virtually positive they're all in Pascal. (I
know that the first few did a "screen clear" in a strange way that was
indicative of being a Pascal program).

	It sounds as if you just tried to copy the files themselves with
Chameleon or somesuch similar program. That won't work.

	You probably have to run a ProDOS 8 based program (maybe even DOS 3.3!)
to switch current partitions.
--
/unknown@ucscb.ucsc.edu       Apple IIGS Forever!        unknown@cats.ucsc.edu\
|WANT to help get ULTIMA VI //e or GS written?-mail me. CHEAP CD info-mail me.|