[comp.sys.apple2] Ramfast and Quantum - AAARRRRRGGGGHHHHHH

sk2f+@andrew.cmu.edu (Seth D. Kadesh) (05/26/91)

I have managed to damage the directory information on my hard drive
six or seven times in the last week.  It's quite annoying, and since I
don't have anything to repair the hard drive (yet - I'm going to get
Prosel when I have some money, or something else if it's cheaper and
just as good) my only recourse is to reformat the drive.
Is this a common occurence?  I've only had the hard drive about 1
week.

My setup:
  Rom 1 GS w/ 1 MB expansion on a Chinook Ram 4000 (DMA ok)
  slot 1 - printer port
  slot 2 - modem port
  slot 3 - standard
  slot 4 - standard
  slot 5 - disk port
  slot 6 - disk port
  slot 7 - Ramfast v2.00N

Help/suggestions are welcome.

-seth                  tHe mAd ScienTisT, and other carnations
-----------------------
sk2f@andrew.cmu.edu   | everything seems so easy this way but I'm going under
tmSatCMU@DRYCAS.BITNET| fast, I'm slipping away, am I so crazy? - Marillion

mikeu@pro-magic.cts.com.mu.edu (05/28/91)

I'd recommend working with SV Tech's tech support.  They are very good and
you are talking to the designers of the board and ROM.  They are also on
Compuserve and answer every question posted usually within 24 hours.

How did you manage to bomb your directory information?

Are you sure your DMA (ok) is truely ok?  This could be causing you some
problems.

I found that if I copied the RamFast utilities to a floppy and the hard
drive, I could lock out the ROM drive and everything worked much better.
------------------------------<<<Mike Ungerman>>>----------------------------
                           Proline:  mikeu@pro-magic
                 Internet: crash!pnet01!mikeu@pro-magic.cts.com
                  UUCP: (..uunet!tarpit!bilver!pro-magic!mikeu)
                  Arpa:  crash!pnet01!pro-magic!mikeu@nosc.mil
       Voice: 407-366-5840 | Prodigy: JSNP58A | Compuserve: 71326,31

whitewolf@gnh-starport.cts.com (Tae Song) (06/03/91)

|-----------------------
|sk2f@andrew.cmu.edu   | everything seems so easy this way but I'm going under
|tmSatCMU@DRYCAS.BITNET| fast, I'm slipping away, am I so crazy? - Marillion

Hmm, you might want to check the RamFAST card with CV Tech... there were some
bad ROMs that got out.

It might be a good idea to reformat, too.

On a HD I borrowed it wasn't properly formatted and partitioned... it confused
the RamFAST card... screwed my first HD... anyways, I reformatted and it works
fine now.
/es

INET: whitewolf@gnh-starport.cts.com
UUCP: crash!gnh-starport!whitewolf