[comp.sys.apple2] VOC, TIFF, Audio, Capturing

philip@utstat.uucp (Philip McDunnough) (05/20/91)

Is there any support for TIFF files on a GS? I have a VOC to which
I would somehow like to send a captured screen file( say from the
VOC itself or an opened TIFF file). There seems to be 2 issue here:
frame grabbing( does this exist?) on the GS with support for the
VOC and support for TIFF files. Ideally I'd like the TIFF files to
end up as 640x400 images.

Also, is there something that will sync a voice/sound file to a
"slide show" created using the VOC?

Finally, what about support for 3200 pics in SHR( for the VOC)?

One of the things I am trying to do is to take 40 " pictures" created
elsewhere( say a Mac-PICT2, or a NeXT-TIFF) and use the VOC to piece
together a lecture, with HyperStudio,or otherwise, controlling the
timing and fades between pictures. A real bonus would be to be able
to have the GS speak some overlayed tidbits on each slide, when pointing
to them.

Philip McDunnough
University of Toronto
philip@utstat.utoronto.ca

In article <1991May19.174442.16034@utstat.uucp> philip@.utstat.uucp (Philip McDunnough) writes:
>Is there any support for TIFF files on a GS? I have a VOC to which
>I would somehow like to send a captured screen file( say from the
>VOC itself or an opened TIFF file). There seems to be 2 issue here:
>frame grabbing( does this exist?) on the GS with support for the
>VOC and support for TIFF files. Ideally I'd like the TIFF files to
>end up as 640x400 images.
>
>Philip McDunnough

Repeat several thousand times:  the Video Overlay card is _not_ a frame
grabber or digitizer.  It overlays a video signal onto the computer's
video signal; it does not internalize the video signal into IIgs graphics
form.

There are a couple of good digitizer cards available for the IIgs (Scott
Gentry of AOL wrote the software for one of them), but the VOC is not one
of them.  Sorry.

Matt Deatherage, Developer Technical  | The opinions expressed herein are
Support, Apple Computer, Inc.         | not those of Apple Computer, and
Personal mail only, please.  Thanks.  | shame on you for thinking otherwise.
^^^^^^^^ Technical questions are not personal. Please post them instead.

In article <53079@apple.Apple.COM> mattd@Apple.COM (Matt Deatherage) writes:
>In article <1991May19.174442.16034@utstat.uucp> philip@.utstat.uucp (Philip McDunnough) writes:

[quotes my vague request for info re the subject title]

>Repeat several thousand times:  the Video Overlay card is _not_ a frame
>grabber or digitizer.  It overlays a video signal onto the computer's
>video signal; it does not internalize the video signal into IIgs graphics
>form.

Well I've now repeated you suggested request a couple of thousand times.
Hope that suffices.I realize that it is not a frame grabber. What I am
trying to find is one that works together with the VOC. I am also trying
to see to what extent various graphics' modes are capable of being
supported either by the GS or perhaps a graphics' card in slot 4 with a
12.27MHz dot clock. Clearly such a graphics card with a VOC would be able
to make use of the VOC's capabilities. The 12MHz clock was chosen in order
to obtain square pixels.

>There are a couple of good digitizer cards available for the IIgs (Scott
>Gentry of AOL wrote the software for one of them), but the VOC is not one
>of them.  Sorry.

I take it these are the ones which use Allison, however they do not appear
to work with the VOC. I am very interested in VOC+frame grabber, VOC alone,
frame grabber alone,graphics card alone or in combination with the above,
and supporting software.

Thank's for the info.

Philip McDunnough
University of Toronto
philip@utstat.utoronto.ca

In article <1991May20.004059.23317@utstat.uucp> philip@utstat.uucp (Philip McDunnough) writes:
>In article <53079@apple.Apple.COM> mattd@Apple.COM (Matt Deatherage) writes:
>
>[quotes my vague request for info re the subject title]
>
>Well I've now repeated you suggested request a couple of thousand times.
>Hope that suffices.I realize that it is not a frame grabber. What I am
>trying to find is one that works together with the VOC. I am also trying
>
>Philip McDunnough

[Various other things deleted]

Ah.  You didn't say that, you just said you wanted to frame grab with the VOC.
This alone is not possible.

Now are you looking for something that's specifically designed to work with
the VOC, or just a stand-alone product that's VOC compatible?  Do you want to
run the video signals through the VOC and out to the digitizer?  I still
don't understand what you're asking for.

(I don't have any further information on it anyway, but your specific request
might trigger someone's memory.)

philip@utstat.uucp (Philip McDunnough) (05/21/91)

In article <53115@apple.Apple.COM> mattd@Apple.COM (Matt Deatherage) writes:
>In article <1991May20.004059.23317@utstat.uucp> philip@utstat.uucp (Philip McDunnough) writes:
>>In article <53079@apple.Apple.COM> mattd@Apple.COM (Matt Deatherage) writes:
>>
>>[quotes my vague request for info re the subject title]
>>
>>Well I've now repeated you suggested request a couple of thousand times.
>>Hope that suffices.I realize that it is not a frame grabber. What I am
>>trying to find is one that works together with the VOC. I am also trying
>>
>>Philip McDunnough
>
>[Various other things deleted]
>
>Ah.  You didn't say that, you just said you wanted to frame grab with the VOC.
>This alone is not possible.
>
>Now are you looking for something that's specifically designed to work with
>the VOC, or just a stand-alone product that's VOC compatible?  Do you want to
>run the video signals through the VOC and out to the digitizer?  I still
>don't understand what you're asking for.

Let me try to be clearer. I'm new at this video stuff so much of the
stuff is vague in my own mind.

I believe what I want is the following: There is a digitizing board called
Visionary GS which operates with software called Allison. There may very
well be other boards out there, and I'd appreciate any information w.r.t
these. Now input a picture into the VOC from say a video camera. This then
apparently gives you a 640x400 image on the GS RGB monitor, and it's an
extremely nice one. Now the question is whether or not the digitizer can
grab this image and either save it as a TIFF or other file format( eg.3200
colour picture). That's the first part. The second is whether or not the
digitizer can grab the 640x400 picture, save it, and then output it via
the VOC as a 640x400 picture. The reason I keep stressing 640x400 is that
the picture clarity using the GS colour monitor and a VOC is outstanding.
So ideally it would be nice to have a product designed to work with the
VOC, but I would settle for a stand-alone one which was VOC compatible.

>(I don't have any further information on it anyway, but your specific request
>might trigger someone's memory.)

>Matt Deatherage, Developer Technical  | The opinions expressed herein are
>Support, Apple Computer, Inc.         | not those of Apple Computer, and
>Personal mail only, please.  Thanks.  | shame on you for thinking otherwise.
>^^^^^^^^ Technical questions are not personal. Please post them instead.

Philip McDunnough
University of Toronto
philip@utstat.utoronto.ca
[my opinions,...]

In article <1991May21.013527.20644@utstat.uucp> philip@utstat.uucp (Philip McDunnough) writes:

>I believe what I want is the following: There is a digitizing board called
>Visionary GS which operates with software called Allison. There may very
>well be other boards out there, and I'd appreciate any information w.r.t
>these. Now input a picture into the VOC from say a video camera. This then
>apparently gives you a 640x400 image on the GS RGB monitor, and it's an
>extremely nice one. Now the question is whether or not the digitizer can
>grab this image and either save it as a TIFF or other file format( eg.3200
>colour picture). That's the first part. The second is whether or not the
>digitizer can grab the 640x400 picture, save it, and then output it via
>the VOC as a 640x400 picture. The reason I keep stressing 640x400 is that
>the picture clarity using the GS colour monitor and a VOC is outstanding.
>So ideally it would be nice to have a product designed to work with the
>VOC, but I would settle for a stand-alone one which was VOC compatible.

No.  You can't do that, because the VOC is not a frame grabber (which you've
already repeated several thousand times, per an earlier request.)

You don't "input" a standard video picture into the VOC.  That implies that
the VOC has a digitized copy of the picture in memory.  It does not.  It's
simply displaying that video signal mixed with the computer's video signal.
The computer has absolutely no access to that picture in pixels or any other
computer-graphics kind of way.

If you want to digitize the picture, you'll have to feed the same video
signal to a digitizer (like Visionary) and tell it to digitize.

ericmcg@pnet91.cts.com (Eric Mcgillicuddy) (05/22/91)

>I take it these are the ones which use Allison, however they do not appear
>to work with the VOC. I am very interested in VOC+frame grabber, VOC alone,
>frame grabber alone,graphics card alone or in combination with the above,
>and supporting software.
>
>Thank's for the info.
>
>Philip McDunnough

A classmate did a frame grabber for the GS for his fourth year thesis. It was
too slow for video work, but he hooked a camera up and if you didn't move for
5 seconds you had a scanned picture in Paintworks Gold format. The camera had
to be returned and the software he wrote is copyrighted by the school (as are
all thesis projects), but I will see if he has remained in the Apple II world
and get him to post his notes.

UUCP: bkj386!pnet91!ericmcg
INET: ericmcg@pnet91.cts.com

scottg@gnh-starport.cts.com (Scott Gentry) (06/04/91)

Boy, this hasn't been an easy month... If this message shows up repeatedly,
please accept my most humble apologies.

On to the issues at hand...

Over the Memorial Day weekend, I performed testing on digitizing using
the Enhanced Vision Plus/VisionaryGS and the VOC.  As I suspected, there was
complete hardware compatibility, however there are problems when digitizing
the output of the VOC.

When digitizing the output of the VOC, you'll get "The Incredible Shrinking
Window Syndrome".  Turns mirrors so the reflective surfaces oppose each other
and you'll have the same effect.  This effect is most pronounced in Full
Screen monochrome mode.

What can be done about TISWS?  Three things.  1.  Don't digitize the output
of the VOC.  2.  Use an electronic A/B switch installed in the video input
line before the VOC.  3.  Wait for me to come up with a software work-around.

Of the three choices above, I prefer number 3.  I'm not entirely sure number
3 is doable, though.  I have ordered the VOC developers doc from Apple in
an effort to find a way to disable Overlay by switching Video Input to Video
Output.  I've tried some other things already (such as disabling the VOC) but
it seems to want to overlay as long as there is video present on the input.
There would seem to be a solution for this because Digital Vision built -one-
prototype digitizer for the Apple II Video Bus (or whatever it's called).  AE
is also rumored to have been developing one for the bus but stopped in
mid cycle.  I mention this because if someone from Apple knows how to do what
I'm trying to do, I wouldn't be too ashamed to accept an answer (either here
or via AppleLink) -- if you do reply to me, use THIS address...

scott@brnded.ne1300.ingr.com

I say use this ^^^^ address because this system is very busy.

Thanks!
| Scott Gentry                * ALPE   AFL Scott         *  I never said that!|
| 2051 Mercator Drive         * GEnie  W.GENTRY          *     But you never  |
| Reston, VA 22091            * UUCP: uunet!ingr!ne1300! *         know!      |
| (703) 264-5652              *       brnded!scott       *        Do You?     |