[comp.sys.apple2] NEEDS HELP ON MY GS...

ISSLTC@NUSVM.BITNET (Lim Thye Chean) (05/31/91)

Hello. I have two problems...

* Can anybody send me a parking utility? I have try ProSel, but the
  harddisk still refuse to park (the parking light does not light up
  on my Preference harddisk). Somebody send me a parking program but
  I have accidentally lost it. I am moving soon... somebody please help!

* On the ftp site wuarchive.wustl.edu, why are all the files ends with
  .z? How do I retrieve the files? I saw Bouncing Blaster and some
  other interesting softwares there that are not in tybalt.caltech.edu,
  but I do not know how to retrieve them.

* Does anybody know other interesting ftp site other than the two
  mentioned above? Thanks.

                      *** Apple IIGS Forever ***

 An Apple IIGS lover from Malaysia. A software engineer from Singapore.
                      Contact me at ISSLTC@NUSVM

       Lim Thye Chean - Lim is my surname. My name is Thye Chean.

unknown@ucscb.ucsc.edu (The Unknown User) (05/31/91)

In article <9105310119.AA13117@apple.com> ISSLTC@NUSVM.BITNET (Lim Thye Chean) w
rites:
>* On the ftp site wuarchive.wustl.edu, why are all the files ends with
>  .z? How do I retrieve the files? I saw Bouncing Blaster and some
>  other interesting softwares there that are not in tybalt.caltech.edu,
>  but I do not know how to retrieve them.

        ShrinkIT GS will extract .Z files.

        The UNIX program "compress" creates .Z files, and "uncompress"
'unpacks' .Z files.  So if you're on a UNIX system, it'd most likely be
easier to unpack the .Z files on UNIX then download 'em unless you're
really concerned about a little more download time.
--
/unknown@ucscb.ucsc.edu       Apple IIGS Forever!        unknown@cats.ucsc.edu\
|WANT to help get ULTIMA VI //e or GS written?-mail me. CHEAP CD info-mail me.|

kenfair@flammulated.rice.edu (Kenneth Jason Fair) (05/31/91)

In article <9105310119.AA13117@apple.com> ISSLTC@NUSVM.BITNET (Lim Thye Chean) writes:

>* On the ftp site wuarchive.wustl.edu, why are all the files ends with
>  .z? How do I retrieve the files? I saw Bouncing Blaster and some
>  other interesting softwares there that are not in tybalt.caltech.edu,
>  but I do not know how to retrieve them.
>
>* Does anybody know other interesting ftp site other than the two
>  mentioned above? Thanks.

	Any files that end with .Z have been compressed in UNIX with
the utility _compress_.  To uncompress files _filename_.Z, simply type
"uncompress _filename_".  You can use the wildcard "uncompress *.Z" to
uncompress all files with .Z.  compress and uncompress should be on
your UNIX system, they're fairly standard.  I'm not sure about other
computer architectures though (BITNET, DECNET, UUCP, etc.).

	As for other ftp sites, there are bundles.  Try ftp.apple.com,
Apple Computer's ftp site.  Also plains.nodak.edu and WSMR- SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL.

	Let me see if I can find the list I had...
	Oy! It's compressed (.Z)!

I'll post it in a sec...  brb

Kenneth Fair (a.k.a. Mr Toaster)

--
Kenneth J. Fair | kenfair@owlnet.rice.edu | AOL: Mr Toaster  ::POP::
"Not all Apple dealers carry the Apple II product line."

bbarba@pro-torii.cts.com (Bob Barba) (06/01/91)

	As for other ftp sites, there are bundles.  Try ftp.apple.com,
Apple Computer's ftp site.  Also plains.nodak.edu and WSMR- SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL.

That would great if you would supply the phone number....or even better 2 or
3 FTP sites!!!!

----
ProLine:  bbarba@pro-torii                         | Pro-Torii (Iwakuni, Japan)
Internet: bbarba@pro-torii.cts.com                 | 011-81-611-753-4846
UUCP:     crash!pro-torii!bbarba                   | Hrs: 8pm - 5am Mon-Thr
Mail: Bob Barba, PO Box 139  FPO Seattle, Wa 98764 |      8pm Fri - 5am Mon

gwyn@smoke.brl.mil (Doug Gwyn) (06/02/91)

In article <1991May31.231613.26940@crash.cts.com> bbarba@pro-torii.cts.com (Bob Barba) writes:
->	As for other ftp sites, there are bundles.  Try ftp.apple.com,
->Apple Computer's ftp site.  Also plains.nodak.edu and WSMR- SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL.
-That would great if you would supply the phone number....or even better 2 or
-3 FTP sites!!!!

Those who think I took the original request the wrong way should look again.
"Phone number"?  Sounds like "hacker" to me.

kenfair@flammulated.rice.edu (Kenneth Jason Fair) (06/04/91)

In article <1991May31.231613.26940@crash.cts.com> bbarba@pro-torii.cts.com (Bob Barba) writes:

>>	As for other ftp sites, there are bundles.  Try ftp.apple.com,
>>Apple Computer's ftp site.  Also plains.nodak.edu and WSMR- SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL.
>
>That would great if you would supply the phone number....or even better 2 or
>3 FTP sites!!!!
>

>----
>ProLine:  bbarba@pro-torii                         | Pro-Torii (Iwakuni, Japan)
>Internet: bbarba@pro-torii.cts.com                 | 011-81-611-753-4846
>UUCP:     crash!pro-torii!bbarba                   | Hrs: 8pm - 5am Mon-Thr
>Mail: Bob Barba, PO Box 139  FPO Seattle, Wa 98764 |      8pm Fri - 5am Mon

	Those ARE ftp sites... They are the node names accesible via
Internet, although I don't know the site numbers.  Just type 'ftp
plains.nodak.edu' and use the name 'anonymous' at the login.  I don't
know if the UUCP works the same way or not.

Ken

--

benson@vuse.vanderbilt.edu (Paul Benson) (06/04/91)

>In article <1991May31.231613.26940@crash.cts.com> bbarba@pro-torii.cts.com (Bob Barba) writes:
>>
>>>	As for other ftp sites, there are bundles.  Try ftp.apple.com,
>>>Apple Computer's ftp site.  Also plains.nodak.edu and WSMR- SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL.
>	Those ARE ftp sites... They are the node names accesible via
>Internet, although I don't know the site numbers.  Just type 'ftp
>plains.nodak.edu' and use the name 'anonymous' at the login.  I don't
>know if the UUCP works the same way or not.

 Ken is right, those are FTP sites.  To find the number address of the
 named sites use nslookup.  Sometimes the name does not work with ftp, I
 think it has to be defined in a database file in your system (I said I
 THINK ;)).  But using ftp with the sites number should always work.

 Paul
 Vanderbilt University
 GEnie: p.benson1