[comp.sys.apple2] Trashed AWP files

kjs39186@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu (Kent Squires) (05/30/91)

I've got three (at least) AppleWorks files that are trashed.  They are all
Data Base files (despite the subject heading :)) and I get a "Error trying
to read <filename>" message when I try to load them.  A couple of these
are very important files - is there any way to restore them?
| Move over Rover &  |Email Addresses: Kent Squires "goo goo g'joob"      |
| let Jimi take over!|                Internet: kjs39186@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu |
| -------------------|                 ProLine: kents@pro-apa             |
| I wouldn't do it   |_______   America OnLine: kents12                   |
| for all the farms in Cuba! |         FidoNet: 233/15  Kent Squires      |
|____________________________|____________________________________________|

MQUINN@UTCVM.BITNET (05/30/91)

.
 edu!uxa.cso.uiuc.edu!kjs39186@UCBVAX.BERKELEY.EDU>

On Wed, 29 May 91 19:35:58 GMT Kent Squires said:
>I've got three (at least) AppleWorks files that are trashed.  They are all
>Data Base files (despite the subject heading :)) and I get a "Error trying
>to read <filename>" message when I try to load them.  A couple of these
>are very important files - is there any way to restore them?

What VERSION are you using?  2.1 ate my HD volume directory for lunch.

>| Move over Rover &  |Email Addresses: Kent Squires "goo goo g'joob"      |
>| let Jimi take over!|                Internet: kjs39186@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu |
>| -------------------|                 ProLine: kents@pro-apa             |
>| I wouldn't do it   |_______   America OnLine: kents12                   |
>| for all the farms in Cuba! |         FidoNet: 233/15  Kent Squires      |
>|____________________________|____________________________________________|

  BITNET--  mquinn@utcvm    <------------send files here
  pro-line-- mquinn@pro-gsplus.cts.com
Assembly-  a computer LANGUAGE.
Assembler- NOT the name of a language.  It's equivellent to a compiler.

dlyons@Apple.COM (David A Lyons) (05/30/91)

In article <1991May29.193558.11033@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu> kjs39186@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu (Kent Squires) writes:
>I've got three (at least) AppleWorks files that are trashed.  They are all
>Data Base files (despite the subject heading :)) and I get a "Error trying
>to read <filename>" message when I try to load them.  A couple of these
>are very important files - is there any way to restore them?

I vaguely recall something about repairing ADB files in A2-Central; I don't
remember if it was a service or a product, but you could check their yearly
indices or give the A2-Central folks a call at +1 913 469 6502.

Or, try "Create a New File" "From a Text file" from your damaged file.  If
it works, you'll have a lot of "cleaning up" to do, and you could eventually
re-create it as a database by importing from an N-lines-per-record text file.

If there are problems physically reading the files (I/O errors or whatever),
deal with those first, then try importing from a text file.
--
David A. Lyons, Apple Computer, Inc.      |   DAL Systems
Apple II System Software Engineer         |   P.O. Box 875

My opinions are my own, not Apple's.

drudman@hpcc01.HP.COM (Drew Rudman) (05/31/91)

There was an Appleworks repair utility available called RepairWorks that
rescued Appleworks files from corruption.  I do not know if it is still
available.  Check back issues of In-Cider magazine for ads.

[ Call...              9600bps/60meg ][ Drew Rudman                          ]
[            The Charge              ][                                      ]
[   Apple ][              IBM        ][ Internet: drudman@hpiosa.corp.hp.com ]
[          (415) 321-4713            ][ The Charge BBS: Axe Slinger (#1)     ]

kjs39186@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu (Kent Squires) (05/31/91)

MQUINN@UTCVM.BITNET writes:
>>I've got three (at least) AppleWorks files that are trashed.  They are all
>>Data Base files (despite the subject heading :)) and I get a "Error trying
>>to read <filename>" message when I try to load them.  A couple of these
>>are very important files - is there any way to restore them?

>What VERSION are you using?  2.1 ate my HD volume directory for lunch.

AppleWorks v3.0 is what I use.  Only patches I think are TimeOut and an
Applied Engineering patch to display the time/date on the AW screen. The
thing is I didn't park my heads when I moved, but hell, it was just 3 blocks
that I moved the thing.  Now that I think of it, the files were trashed before
I moved because the files on the HD backup disks are trashed, too.

Anyway, does anybody know how to ressurect AW files?

jpenne@ee.ualberta.ca (Jerry Penner) (05/31/91)

In article <1991May30.220004.15616@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu> kjs39186@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu (Kent Squires) writes:
>MQUINN@UTCVM.BITNET writes:
>>>I've got three (at least) AppleWorks files that are trashed.  They are all
>>>Data Base files (despite the subject heading :)) and I get a "Error trying
>>>to read <filename>" message when I try to load them.  A couple of these
>>>are very important files - is there any way to restore them?
>
>>What VERSION are you using?  2.1 ate my HD volume directory for lunch.
>
>AppleWorks v3.0 is what I use.  Only patches I think are TimeOut and an
[...]
>Anyway, does anybody know how to ressurect AW files?

There is a program on GEnie (possible CI$ and AOL, I dunno) that can
salvage data from corrupted AW files.  Maybe I'll have to look for it
and download it if it's not too big and then I could post it to cba2.
--
      Jerry Penner	  Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
jpenne@bode.ee.ualberta.ca	  or	   alberta!bode!jpenne

warren.e@pro-beagle.cts.com (Warren Ernst) (06/01/91)

Contact Quality Computers and ask for something Called RepairWorks. It does
a very good job of fixing mangled files. If you are pretty good at fixing
things yourself, try calling up Pro-Bealge (619-558-6151) and download a
Beagle Oldie called Pro-Byter, a really good sector editor. The one with
ProSel, BlockWarden is pretty good too. Then read the appropriate sections
of "Beneath Apple ProDOS", from Quality Software again. I recovered 2
trashed files with these assets in just under 3 hours, including reading
everything for the first time and getting acquainted with the sector
editors. Good Luck!

-Warr
/===============================++========================================\
| Warren Ernst                  || & This is called an ampersand.         |
|  warren.e@pro-Beagle.cts.com  || @ This is called an at sign.           |
|  wernst@ucsd.edu              || * This is called an asterisk.          |
|                     GEnie too || ] This is called a square bracket.     |
+-------------------------------+| ) This is called a parenthesis.        |
|1HOME:INVERSE2X=RND(1)*24+1:VTA|| # This is called a pound sign.         |
|BX:HTABX:?X;:HTAB26-X:?X;:GOTO2|| ^ This is called a little pointy thing.|

danw@mitchell.hac.com (Dan White) (06/04/91)

In article <1991May29.193558.11033@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu>, kjs39186@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu (Kent Squires) writes:
|> I've got three (at least) AppleWorks files that are trashed.  They are all
|> Data Base files (despite the subject heading :)) and I get a "Error trying
|> to read <filename>" message when I try to load them.  A couple of these
|> are very important files - is there any way to restore them?

   Sounds like problems I had a while back. It was not AppleWorks doing the trashing - it was the operating system !!  What version of ProDOS are you using ?

  As to recovery, try all the standard file recovery utilities.