[comp.sys.apple2] gbbs vs. proline

matthew@pro-nka.cts.com (Matthew McGehrin) (06/06/91)

I really dont want to quote that last message by amrit, but let me just
make a couple of points. If you think about it, GBBS and proline are two
good systems, just they have different ideas of a what a BBS should do. In
the 80's a GBBS was a good thing. Since alot of people did file transfers,
and they posted some messages, but it wasnt the focus. Proline is a message
board, so since everything is done to make it a 'message' board, of course
the file section is going to stink. Along with the protocols, since alog of
alot of GBBS users used the file transfer system, it was a smart move to
have ymodem and xmodem, zmodem just came out for GBBS, proline on the other
hand uses Xmodem, and thats fine, when you have a 2400 baud modem, but
since alot of proline boards are upgrading to 9600 baud modem, xmodem isnt
as great and 'does the job' as it used to. So I heard that zmodem is on its
way, and a word to the wise, buy your proline systems now, because I heard
that most likely they will up the price to upgrade, since morgan davis is
trying to re-write md-basic, and change proline to make it the board of the
90's

-- matthew

| Internet: matthew@pro-nka.cts.com  | Pro-Nka : 201-944-3102 : 9600/v32/v42 |
|     uucp: crash!pro-nka!matthew    | Leonia, New Jersey    Intel 9600EX    |
| All thoughts are mine. If you have | a different idea, email it or post it.|