[comp.sys.apple2] GS fonts

vulture@pnet51.orb.mn.org (Ron Helwig) (05/26/90)

        I need to get a hold of a Spanish font. Does such a thing exist? If
so, how can I get it? Currently I have no money (probably for at least 2 more
years, until graduation + job). If you have one, could you E-mail a packed
version? I have no idea what this FTP stuff is. Thanks
                                Ron 'Vulture' Helwig
                                vulture@pnet51

UUCP: {amdahl!bungia, uunet!rosevax, crash}!orbit!pnet51!vulture
ARPA: crash!orbit!pnet51!vulture@nosc.mil
INET: vulture@pnet51.orb.mn.org

ehsu@husc9.harvard.edu (Eric Hsu) (01/25/91)

I was wondering...

(1) What is the difference between GS Font formats and Mac Font formats? Given a
Mac font file, how easily can it be converted to the GS format?

(2) Where does one usually find fonts for sale or in the public domain, anyway?

Respond by e-mail or posting, whatever you see fit...

Eric Hsu                           ehsu@husc4.Bitnet, ehsu@husc9.harvard.edu

daveh@ccwf.cc.utexas.edu (David H. Huang) (01/25/91)

In article <5465@husc6.harvard.edu> ehsu@husc9.UUCP (Eric Hsu) writes:
>I was wondering...
>
>(1) What is the difference between GS Font formats and Mac Font formats? Given a
>Mac font file, how easily can it be converted to the GS format?

Mac fonts are very similar to GS fonts. I think the GS fonts have an extra
header at the beginning. There is supposedly a program called Font Munger that
will convert Mac fonts to GS fonts, but I've never seen it around.

>(2) Where does one usually find fonts for sale or in the public domain, anyway?

Fonts can be found in many places... check out America Online, Genie, maybe
CIS. Also, special fonts are often for sale in Mac magazines.

--
David Huang                                 |
Internet: ifar355@ccwf.cc.utexas.edu        |     "My ganglion is stuck in

jpenne@ee.ualberta.ca (Jerry Penner) (01/26/91)

In article <5465@husc6.harvard.edu> ehsu@husc9.UUCP (Eric Hsu) writes:
>I was wondering...
>
>(1) What is the difference between GS Font formats and Mac Font formats?
>Given a Mac font file, how easily can it be converted to the GS format?
>
>(2) Where does one usually find fonts for sale or in the public domain, anyway?
>Respond by e-mail or posting, whatever you see fit...
>

>Eric Hsu                           ehsu@husc4.Bitnet, ehsu@husc9.harvard.edu

The difference is mainly that there is a GS header at the beginning
of a GS font followed by the Macintosh type font.  But there is a difference
in the Macintosh part.  Mac's use high-order-byte first words and the GS
uses low-order-byte first words, so all the words in the Mac font get
their bytes flipped around.  If this byte-ordering is confusing here's an
example:
	You have a long word $01234567
	On a Mac (any 68000 machine) it would be stored in memory as
	01 23 45 67

	On a GS (or an Intel machine) it would be stored as:
	67 45 23 01

--
-------------
    Jerry Penner	alberta!bode!jpenne	Edmonton, Alberta, Canada

lucifer@world.std.com (Kevin S Green) (01/26/91)

In article <5465@husc6.harvard.edu> ehsu@husc9.UUCP (Eric Hsu) writes:
>I was wondering...
>
>(1) What is the difference between GS Font formats and Mac Font formats? Given a
>Mac font file, how easily can it be converted to the GS format?

Not much difference. AND they are relatively easy to convert...I do it all
the time. Bare minimum you need ResEdit which converts certain Mac
resources to //gs data. A program such as Fontasm will also be useful to
tweek the font look & parameters once you transfer them.

If you download them straight to your //gs (assuming they are in .SIT
format) you will need to use Shrinkit to unpack them and save the
resources as a separate file.

If you do like I do, transferring from a Mac disk to the //gs, use
HFSlink or similar utility to transfer the program to the //gs. Then
use ResEdit.

>(2) Where does one usually find fonts for sale or in the public domain, anyway

Local BBS, America Online, software vendors...all the usual places.

Kevin S. Green / lucifer@world.std.com / {xylogics;uunet}!world!lucifer
Party naked... /AOL: Gargoth / Pro-line: kgreen@pro-angmar

taob@pnet91.cts.com (Brian Tao) (01/26/91)

From daveh@ccwf.cc.utexas.edu (David H. Huang):

> Mac fonts are very similar to GS fonts. I think the GS fonts have
> an extra header at the beginning. There is supposedly a program
> called Font Munger that will convert Mac fonts to GS fonts, but
> I've never seen it around.

    The hi-byte/low-bytes are also reversed.  I think the GS stores word
values as lo/hi while the Mac uses hi/lo.  The easiest way I've found to
convert Mac fonts to GS fonts involves either a2fx or HFSLink, and Stephen
Chick's Resource Spy.  Use a2fx to convert just the resource fork of a
Font/DA Mover font "suitcase" file.  It will be stored on the ProDOS disk as a
binary file.  Then use Resource Spy to open up the file, double-click on the
FONT resource, and pick a font to convert.  It will even give you a window
with a sample string in the appropriate font.

Brian T. Tao  {taob@pnet91.cts.com} ||  Computer guru?  Someone who got
University of Metro Toronto         ||  their computer a couple of weeks
Scarberia, ON, MIC 3A8         *B-) ||  before you did.  (Alvin Toffler)

scottr@gnh-applesauce.cts.com (Scott Rothstein) (01/29/91)

The shareware program FONTASM converts Mac-->GS too.
////////////////////////////////////\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\
\  Internet: scottr@applesauce.cts.com   /\    I.D.F.:    /\ 'tis  but /
/  AKA:   Monte                          \/  no retreat   \/ a scratch \
\  America Online: a total waste         /\  no surrender /\ -- M.P.   /
\  Once upon a midnight dreary, while I pondered, weak and weary,      /
/                                                 -- Edgar Allan Poe   \

acmfiu@serss0.fiu.edu (albert chin) (06/07/91)

i just finished creating a GS font version of the SnowTerm fonts. i heard
quite awhile ago (like 2 years) that GEnie was trying to coordinate all the
numbers on the fonts? is this still true? and, if so, can someone offer to
upload to GEnie the font and let me know what number this font gets?

albert