[comp.sys.apple2] HyperC Dox online

warren.e@pro-beagle.cts.com (Warren Ernst) (06/06/91)

I have just spent sever aggravating hours online trying to get the hyperc
documentation off of plains.nodak.edu.

Now I appreciate that fact that someone took the effort to not only type in
(or scan, still no small task) the dox but also broke it up so 5.25 inch
disk'ers wouldn't get screwed, but who was the idiot who packed them in
such an unattainable format? the files read "hypercadd.shk", and even when
I set everything to binary, get it and d/l it, Shrinkit 3.2.3 cant
recognise it.

Every other apple FTP uses Binscii and Shrinkit to pack things up nice and
tidy for anal UNIX systems, why not these? Why not just have complete,
unpacked, standard text so that we could at least use the campus line
printers to get a hard copy of the file, then remove it?

I'll probably be a lot less angry when i get some sleep now, but it sure
seems like someone clearly didn't use their head.

Modemin' at 1:30 in the morning,
-Warr
/===============================++========================================\
| Warren Ernst                  || & This is called an ampersand.         |
|  warren.e@pro-Beagle.cts.com  || @ This is called an at sign.           |
|  wernst@ucsd.edu              || * This is called an asterisk.          |
|                     GEnie too || ] This is called a square bracket.     |
+-------------------------------+| ) This is called a parenthesis.        |
|1HOME:INVERSE2X=RND(1)*24+1:VTA|| # This is called a pound sign.         |
|BX:HTABX:?X;:HTAB26-X:?X;:GOTO2|| ^ This is called a little pointy thing.|
\===============================++========================================/

chiu@ucsee.Berkeley.EDU (James Chiu) (06/06/91)

In article <33931.apple.net@pro-beagle> warren.e@pro-beagle.cts.com (Warren Ernst) writes:
>I have just spent sever aggravating hours online trying to get the hyperc
>documentation off of plains.nodak.edu.

Same here, was online for a couple hours DLing the whole thing just this past
Monday.

>Now I appreciate that fact that someone took the effort to not only type in
>(or scan, still no small task) the dox but also broke it up so 5.25 inch
>disk'ers wouldn't get screwed, but who was the idiot who packed them in
>such an unattainable format? the files read "hypercadd.shk", and even when
>I set everything to binary, get it and d/l it, Shrinkit 3.2.3 cant
>recognise it.

Weird, I DLed it and didn't have any problem unshrinking it, or for that
matter, any of the file related to HyperC. (But then again, I've an HD so
that I don't have to deal with 5.25" floppies... and I understand how
aggravation it is to have to swap disks)

GRAY@ADMIN.HumberC.ON.CA (Kelly Gray) (06/06/91)

The documentation for HyperC IS packed with Binscii and Shrinkit.
 For somw starnge reason though you must specify an ASCII transfer
or else all you get is garbage.

There is one file that I never did get though. I forget which one it was,
(I'd have to check the disks I have at home) but whenever I tried to get
that file, the connection would be forced to a binary transfer, and I'd get
garbage.

     <o_o>
 _________________________   ________________________________________
/                         \ /                                        \
|        Kelly Gray        |  The opinions expressed in the preceding |
|                          |  message are not guaranteed to represent |
| GRAY@ADMIN.HumberC.ON.CA |  any form of rational thought whatsoever |
\_________________________/ \_________________________________________/

stuckey@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu (Anthony J. Stuckey) (06/07/91)

GRAY@ADMIN.HumberC.ON.CA (Kelly Gray) writes:

>The documentation for HyperC IS packed with Binscii and Shrinkit.
> For somw starnge reason though you must specify an ASCII transfer
>or else all you get is garbage.

My experience also.  the reason you get garbage is that some machines aren't
ascii.  so ftp does character set translations in "ascii" mode taht it
doesn't do in binary.  (like CRLF -> CR)

>There is one file that I never did get though. I forget which one it was,
>(I'd have to check the disks I have at home) but whenever I tried to get
>that file, the connection would be forced to a binary transfer, and I'd get
>garbage.

I got them all, I think from wuarchive.
--
Anthony J. Stuckey