[comp.sys.apple2] DragonwarsGS

meekins@CIS.OHIO-STATE.EDU (timothy lee meekins) (02/02/91)

I realize this was discussed earlier, but I didn't own Dragon Wars then, now
I do.

Question: How do I get TOOL035 to work? I copied the tool from synthLAB disk
to my system/tools directory with no luck. I'm currently using system
software 5.0.4.

BTW, While I was buying Dragon Wars, I saw HyperCard IIgs on the shelves. So,
those of you who want it, it's out. I think it was $89 (at this store).

If anyone wants a review of Dragon Wars, let me know and I'll post something.

+---------------------------S-U-P-P-O-R-T-----------------------------------+
|/ Tim Meekins                  <<>> Snail Mail:           <<>>  Apple II  \|
|>   meekins@cis.ohio-state.edu <<>>   8372 Morris Rd.     <<>>  Forever!  <|
|\   timm@pro-tcc.cts.com       <<>>   Hilliard, OH 43026  <<>>            /|
+-------------------------S-H-A-R-E-W-A-R-E-!-------------------------------+

nrunyon%peruvian.utah.edu@cs.utah.edu (The Bard's Mystic Song) (02/02/91)

In article <9102020444.AA11005@anaconda.cis.ohio-state.edu> meekins@CIS.OHIO-STATE.EDU (timothy lee meekins) writes:
>I realize this was discussed earlier, but I didn't own Dragon Wars then, now
>I do.
>
>Question: How do I get TOOL035 to work? I copied the tool from synthLAB disk
>to my system/tools directory with no luck. I'm currently using system
>software 5.0.4.
>|/ Tim Meekins                  <<>> Snail Mail:           <<>>  Apple II  \|

	Tim, It turns out that there is a newer version of Tool035 and that
it works just fine with DragonWars GS.  Make sure it is newer then March 1990.

	Neil -

---------- Baltimore Orioles! Only 2 months until Spring Training ----------
Neil M. Runyon		     | Apple IIgs WOZ edition
University of Utah - CS Dept |  Scotland: Old Castles, Dark Ale, and Golf...
nrunyon@peruvian.utah.edu    |  Want to play a game of Xtrek?!?

plucky.duck@pro-midnightex.cts.com (Terry Guelfo) (02/08/91)

There is a newer version of the tool035 than the version that was on the
Synthlab disk... or so I've heard.  That can be the only possible explination,
as I have installed the tool and played the Dwars music with no problems.

PLine:  plucky.duck@pro-midnightex / tg.exc@pro-harvest| The Toxic Revenger! |
INET:   plucky.duck@pro-midnightex.cts.com             |----------------------
UUCP:   crash!pro-midnightex!plucky.duck               |   Saddam Hussein,   |
ARPA:   crash!pro-midnightex!plucky.duck@nosc.mil      |    kiss my butt!    |
BITNET: plucky.duck%pro-midnightex.cts.com@nosc.mil    |IRAQ SUCKS IRAQ SUCKS|

carnahan@inljeff.den.mmc.com (Rich Carnahan) (05/28/91)

Well, I've just about decided that it's time again to get totally
frustrated and purchase another game for my IIGS.  Recently, I've
been seeing some posts re: DragonwarsGS.  For those who have played
both, how does DWGS compare with The Immortal?  I've read the reviews
for Immortal and Dragonwars (I don't think it was the GS version)
in GS+.  What do YOU think, folks?

Cheers.

Rich

--------------> rich <-------------- (carnahan@inljeff.den.mmc.com)

Martin Marietta Astronautics Group
Box 1260
MS XL8058
Denver, Colorado 80201-1260

(303) 971-7981

jimmys@bonnie.ics.uci.edu (Jimmy Shaw) (05/29/91)

In article <1864@dinl.mmc.UUCP> carnahan@inljeff.den.mmc.com (Rich Carnahan) writes:
>Well, I've just about decided that it's time again to get totally
>frustrated and purchase another game for my IIGS.  Recently, I've
>been seeing some posts re: DragonwarsGS.  For those who have played
>both, how does DWGS compare with The Immortal?  I've read the reviews
>for Immortal and Dragonwars (I don't think it was the GS version)
>in GS+.  What do YOU think, folks?
>
>Cheers.
>
>Rich

>--------------> rich <-------------- (carnahan@inljeff.den.mmc.com)
>
>Martin Marietta Astronautics Group
>Box 1260
>MS XL8058
>Denver, Colorado 80201-1260
>
>(303) 971-7981

	Well, Rich, I will be happy to tell you about DragonWars GS (and
maybe help Interplay sell one more piece of GS software :)

	I bought the IIe version of DragonWars when it first came out, and
being a long time fan of FRPGs (Fantasy Role-playing Games), and Bard's Tale
addict, it was a great delight to see a new a improved version of a game that
I already enjoy greatly.  When the GS version finally came around, I got the
upgrade from Interplay for 10 bucks.

	The GS version has great sound, and spectacular graphics (it was
converted from the Amiga version) and Bill Heineman did another great job
on the GS.  The game is the basic "Find the bad guy and slay him", found in
just about all FRPGs, but it is the implementation of the user interface
and other things that make the game so good.

	DragonWars and Immortal are really two different types of games:
DWgs is more of a role-playing game, and Immortal is a arcade-action adventure.
I would recommand both game in any GS lover's colection.

Jimmy Shaw
jimmys@ics.uci.edu

meekins@anaconda.cis.ohio-state.edu (Tim Meekins) (05/29/91)

In article <1864@dinl.mmc.UUCP> carnahan@inljeff.den.mmc.com (Rich Carnahan) writes:
>Well, I've just about decided that it's time again to get totally
>frustrated and purchase another game for my IIGS.  Recently, I've
>been seeing some posts re: DragonwarsGS.  For those who have played
>both, how does DWGS compare with The Immortal?  I've read the reviews
>for Immortal and Dragonwars (I don't think it was the GS version)
>in GS+.  What do YOU think, folks?

They are totally different so I won't compare them. But, I'd recommend you
buy them both. They are both entertaining and will keep you busy for a long
time. The Immortal has fabulous graphics, but can be difficult to play.
DragonWars has great graphocs, but won't necessarily knowck socks off, however
it is very playable thus, IMO, it is very fun. Especially since I always
seem to have trouble getting far in RPG games.

--
++------------S-U-P-P-O-R-T---S-H-A-R-E-W-A-R-E---O-R---D-I-E-!-----------++
|| Tim Meekins                   ||  Snail Mail:           ||   Apple II  ||
||   meekins@cis.ohio-state.edu  ||    8372 Morris Rd.     ||   Forever!  ||
\\___timm@pro-tcc.cts.com________/\____Hilliard, OH 43026__/\_____________//

ericmcg@pnet91.cts.com (Eric Mcgillicuddy) (05/29/91)

The Immortal is CP. EA is no longer supporting the GS (they make Immortal). If
you do not have a hard drive then this is not a problem, and so far the
Immortal graphics are better. Dragonwars has the better sound though.

Get both, what the hell, you only live once. :)

UUCP: bkj386!pnet91!ericmcg
INET: ericmcg@pnet91.cts.com

diz@pro-gsplus.cts.com (Steven Disbrow) (05/31/91)

Rich Carnahan writes:
>... I've read the reviews for Immortal and DragonWars
>(I don't think it was the GS version) in GS+.  What do you folks think?
  ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
  It was the GS version.  We ONLY review GS-Specific software.  The only
exception we have ever made to this policy was with InWords and that was
because everyone and his brother asked us to review it.  To avoid
confusion, we put a big "This is not a GS-specific product" disclaimer at
the front of the review.

  Anyway, both are excellent games.  DragonWarsGS is especially good in
that it's not copy protected, easily installs on a hard drive and isn't
quite as hard to play as the Immortal.

 The Immortal has excellent graphics and sound, but it's hard-drive hostile
and basically treats your IIGS like a super IIe.  Rather a sad commentary on
what Electronic Arts thinks of the IIGS.

Diz
 -My-
 Name:    Steven W. Disbrow - Publisher of GS+ Magazine    | Send Me Your
 Address: POB 15366, Chattanooga, TN 37415 (U.S.A.)________| Address & I'll
 Voice:   (615) 870-4960 |ProLine: diz@pro-gsplus |<-other | Send You A Sample
 BBS:     (615) 875-4607 |America Online: Obnoxio |<-stuff | Of GS+ Magazine!

geniusman@pro-hindugods.cts.com (Chris Moylan) (06/03/91)

How can I get a subscription to GS+ magazine?  I've heard so much about,
now I know someone who can sign me up for it!

Chris
Chris Moylan                    | ProLine: geniusman@pro-hindugods
CoSysop: Hindu Love Gods BBS    | Internet: geniusman@pro-hindugods.cts.com
313/644-0481                    | UUCP: crash!pro-hindugods!geniusman
300-9600 bps, v.32/v.42/v.42bis | ARPA: crash!pro-hindugods!geniusman@nosc.mil

joseph@elbereth.rutgers.edu (Seymour Joseph) (06/08/91)

Steve,

I think I know what you meant to say about the Immortal, but I don't
think you said it very clearly.  Yes, the game is hard disk hostile,
and no it doesn't use GS/OS, but it hardly treats the IIGS like a
super //e.

The game has no on-disk copy protection, backups are easy to make.  It
does ask for information from the manual to verify that your copy is
an original, but I find that far less offensive than real copy
protection.  If you find the manual check really offensive, there is a
one byte patch posted on America Online to disable it.

The game makes very good use of the Apple IIGS graphics and sound
capabilities.  The drawings are very rich and detailed and the
animations are great.  The sound is mono, but special actions have
their own sounds and each level has its own unique sound track.

I am really enjoying figuring out the puzzles in the IMMORTAL and I
recommend strongly that anyone with a IIGS try to find and purchase a
copy before they become impossible to get.  As another respondant
mentioned, Electronic Arts is no longer distributing ANY of its Apple
II or IIGS software, so THE IMMORTAL is getting kind of hard to find.

Seymour