[comp.sys.apple2] Apple //e via LC - Hardware?

fuhrman@apple.com (Cris Fuhrman) (05/30/91)

Ok, so we all know about the Apple //e card for the LC which
allows Apple // software to run on a Mac.  But lots of people
out there in the scientific community have Apples with
specialized hardware for collecting data or controlling
equipment.  They'd like to upgrade to LC's, but don't want
to because they'd lose their hardware compatibility.

Is anyone in the process of developing a product
for supporting Apple // hardware via the LC?  I agree it's
pretty esoteric, but I have to ask.  It sounds like the
perfect product for a third party to develop.  For example
imagine a box with expansion slots for Apple // cards.
The box would be connected to a Mac LC via an expansion
card, and the LC would also run the Apple //e card (or
does the LC only have one expansion slot?).  Yes, I do
work for Apple, at least this week I do.

-Cris

fuhrman@apple.com

toddpw@nntp-server.caltech.edu (Todd P. Whitesel) (05/30/91)

fuhrman@apple.com (Cris Fuhrman) writes:

>Is anyone in the process of developing a product
>for supporting Apple // hardware via the LC?  I agree it's
>pretty esoteric, but I have to ask.  It sounds like the
>perfect product for a third party to develop.  For example
>imagine a box with expansion slots for Apple // cards.

Don't hold your breath. The LC only has one slot, and even if it had others
the card does not provide enough access to the 6502 bus -- you sort of have
to make sacrifices when you want something that will run copy-protected DOS
3.3 software and cost less than $200.

Better to just keep the original //e, buy a Classic, and put an AppleTalk
card in the //e so it can use the Classic's HD. It's cheaper and is also
more productive.

Be glad the //e card is as compatible as it is. I for one would rather see
Apple give the //c+ a redesign similar in philosophy to the Mac Classic and
sell that to schools for cheap. The LC and the GS are not as cheap as the
Classic and the //e, and with the recession on what do YOU think most schools
are actually buying?

Todd Whitesel
toddpw @ tybalt.caltech.edu

sb@pnet91.cts.com (Stephen Brown) (06/04/91)

fuhrman@apple.com (Cris Fuhrman) writes:
>Ok, so we all know about the Apple //e card for the LC which
>allows Apple // software to run on a Mac.  But lots of people
>out there in the scientific community have Apples with
>specialized hardware for collecting data or controlling
>equipment.  They'd like to upgrade to LC's, but don't want
>to because they'd lose their hardware compatibility.
>
>Is anyone in the process of developing a product
>for supporting Apple // hardware via the LC?  I agree it's
>pretty esoteric, but I have to ask.  It sounds like the
>perfect product for a third party to develop.  For example

[cut]

For the price of a used IIe (I just got one for $250 with two drives and a
monitor) why would anyone (in the Scientific Community or elsewhere) want to
get a Mac LC. In fact, for the serious performance degradation when it comes
to screen I/O on the LC in IIe mode, why get one at all for that purpose?

Maybe if a faster Apple II came out, the need for a Mac LC... never mind, I
won't start...   :(

| Stephen Brown                           Toronto, Canada |
| Internet: sb@pnet91.cts.com      UUCP: utzoo!pnet91!sb  |
| Apple II Forever !!!                                    |
| Like my new .signature. ?    Too bad.                   |

fuhrman@apple.com (Cris Fuhrman) (06/06/91)

In article <810@generic.UUCP>, sb@pnet91.cts.com (Stephen Brown) writes:

> For the price of a used IIe (I just got one for $250 with two drives and a
> monitor) why would anyone (in the Scientific Community or elsewhere) want to
> get a Mac LC. In fact, for the serious performance degradation when it comes
> to screen I/O on the LC in IIe mode, why get one at all for that purpose?

[cut]

The reason I posted this question is that I was told of a deal that Apple
is offering to "trade in" your Apple II for an LC.  The Apple IIe emulator
card allows you to run most of your existing IIe software on your LC.  The
reason why people (in the Scientific Community or elsewhere) would want
to upgrad is that they now have two computers in one (so to speak), and
they can draw upon two pools of software.  Sounds pretty logical to me.

-Cris
fuhrman@apple.com

PKBRANDON@MSUS1.MSUS.EDU (06/06/91)

The main advantage to someone in the "scientific community" of using a
IIE rather than a MacLC is that many of us use computers for interactive
experimental control and data collection.  I/O boards for the Apple are
cheap, and of course we already have them.  Obviously, their's no slot
in the LC to plug them into.  I/O requires much more hardware on the
Mac!
   ---   Paul Brandon    Psychology Dept    Mankato State Univ   ---
   ---    PKBRANDON@MSUS1.MSUS.EDU          Mankato, MN 56001    ---

lazer@lablues.UUCP (Patrick Delahanty) (06/06/91)

fuhrman@apple.com (Cris Fuhrman) writes:

> [cut]
>
> The reason I posted this question is that I was told of a deal that Apple
> is offering to "trade in" your Apple II for an LC.  The Apple IIe emulator
> card allows you to run most of your existing IIe software on your LC.  The
> reason why people (in the Scientific Community or elsewhere) would want
> to upgrad is that they now have two computers in one (so to speak), and
> they can draw upon two pools of software.  Sounds pretty logical to me.
>
> -Cris
> fuhrman@apple.com

I always thought the card of more an Apple //c card than an Apple IIe card.
An Apple IIe is expandable.  //c would be more accurate.

-Lazer

ericmcg@pnet91.cts.com (Eric Mcgillicuddy) (06/08/91)

>The reason I posted this question is that I was told of a deal that Apple
>is offering to "trade in" your Apple II for an LC.  The Apple IIe emulator
>card allows you to run most of your existing IIe software on your LC.  The
>-Cris
>fuhrman@apple.com

The trade is not one-for-one, you get about 10 cents on the dollar for your
investment, assuming that you made the investment within the last couple of
years. I think it is possible to trade in 10 loaded IIes for one LC, with a
IIe card, but maybe you might need more if they aren't in perfect condition.

UUCP: bkj386!pnet91!ericmcg
INET: ericmcg@pnet91.cts.com