[comp.sys.apple2] Support of computers

q4kx@vax5.cit.cornell.edu (Joel Sumner) (06/08/91)

In article <2363@talos.npri.com>,
jhagen@talos.npri.com (Jarom Hagen) writes:
> q4kx@vax5.cit.cornell.edu (Joel Sumner) writes:
>
>>  So, no, Apple owes me nothing.  I owe them nothing.  When I buy a new
>>computer, I will [probably] buy it from a company who I think will
>>support me.  They don't owe me support, but then again, I don't have to
>>buy their product, now do I?  There is no law that Apple has to support
>>their series owners, but they damn well better if they want to continue
>>selling computers.
>
> When I bought my Apple II+ ten years ago, I made a choice between Atari,
> Apple and IBM.  I don't see a whole lot of support for the Atari 800 computer
> or the original IBM PC.  Even that big company known for their "support"
> dropped the PC jr.
>
> If Apple is going to support anyone, they have to make money selling
> computers or charge for support.   Would you be willing to pay Apple
> to support your system?

In a word, Yes.  But there are many forms of 'payment'.  Like I said, I don't
HAVE to purchase their computers.  If I feel their support has been adequate,
I will buy another computer  from Apple.  That is one form of payment.  How
about if I purchase lots of manuals for the Apple IIgs ($200+ worth), purchase
development systems (another couple hundred), learn how to program the
computer and then write and distribute programs.  Computers go no where
without software.  This is again 'payment'.

Notice that I have said nothing about Apple's support or lack thereof
of the Apple II/Mac.  My opinions have been stated before and will not
be stated here because I don't want anyone to confuse my feelings with
plain old facts.  If Apple supports their computers the way people
expect them to, then Apple will sell many computers.  If Apple doesn't
support their computers, people will stop buying them.

--
Joel Sumner                     GENIE:JOEL.SUMNER     This .sig may not be used
q4kx@cornella.ccs.cornell.edu   q4kx@cornella         for public viewing or