[comp.sys.apple2] inCider/A+

legler@MASIG1.OCEAN.FSU.EDU (David M. Legler) (09/20/90)

   From: bbs!ddsw1!zane@uunet.uu.net  (Sameer Parekh)
   Subject: InCider

   I've been pissed at A+/InCider and I just got my LAST ISSUE! YEAH!
   (It's got that RENEW TODAY cover on it)  I feel like counting the ads.
   Out of 99 (Including inside front cover, inside back cover, and back cover)
   pages there are many ads.  I will summarize and then detail:

     Total Pages:            99  _
     Total ads:              54.05  (Approx.)
     Ad percentage:          54.60% (Approx.)
     Not-Ad percentage       45.40% (Approx.)
     (Not-Ad does NOT mean article because there are also table of contents,
     bulkhead, etc.)

     But a 55.6% number was OUTRAGOUS.  The newstand price is $3.95 plus tax is
     $4.21.  So I am paying $2.30 for the ADS! (Well I subscribed so it
     is less, but still .  .  .) How much is computer shopper? $4-5? and
     it has about 8-9 times the ads!  Why don't I just buy that!? That is HELL!
     I'm mad because there are  no good Apple II mags out there.  If there
     were I would not be mad, I'd just tell people not to subscribe to
     A+/InCider.  (If there IS, tell me please)

     (I've been really pissed in this article.  Sorry If I OfFeNd SoMeOnE)

Well, thanks for spending the time to go through the magazine and giving us
all this detail.  As in any publication, ad revenue pays for publication costs
so advertising is a necessary (and sometimes good) "evil".  Today's newspapers
contain about 50-55% (at least the last time I was at a local newspaper's
readers forum) advertising.  So I don't think the percentage is all that out
of line.  I think you should be more concerned about the decreasing thickness
of the magazine instead.  Note how the thickness has decreased to minimal
amounts.  The more advertising that is sold, the thicker and more pages of
ads AND CONTENTS the magazine will have (ie see MacUser and/or MacWorld May
1990 issues - about 425 to 525 pages: who want to volunteer to calculate the
percent of column space devoted to ads ?)

While I agree Incider/A+ is not the greatest, for many "ordinary" (no
criticism intended) Apple II owners, this is the only magazine of interest.
I personally do not like it and do not subscribe to it; that is what
A2-Central is for.  I am willing to pay a premium for no (or few ads)
although when I need to purchase new software or hardware, Incider is where
I look first.

If you don't like InCider, don't subscribe or write to them and tell them
why you are upset.  You might be suprised how interested they would be in
your (or anyone's) comments.

--

Mr. David M. Legler           ||(904)644-1159 or 644-4581
Mesoscale Air-Sea Interaction ||Bitnet legler%masig1.ocean.fsu.edu@cunyvm

adamr@pro-novapple.cts.com (Adam Robey) (09/24/90)

I might have accidentally just sent a partial message, so if you get it,
ignore it.

I think that Incider/A+ is probably the best magazine when I am looking to
mail order APPLE II SPECIFIC stuff. (If I am looking for computer-generic
stuff, I go to Computer Shopper. That is where I found my modem and it is
where I am going to get my SCSI hard drive.)

I think that NIBBLE is a pretty good Apple II magazine for the articles but
the ads are usually not that great. (I have a three year subscription to
NIBBLE and I will probably renew when it expires.)

-AMR
| PROLINE: pro-novapple!adamr             | UUCP: crash!pro-novapple!adamr    |
| ARPA: crash!pro-novapple!adamr@nosc.mil | INET: adamr@pro-novapple.cts.com  |

penguin@gnh-igloo.cts.com (Mark Steiger) (09/25/90)

Look at the GS+ magazine if you own a GS.
You can contact them at "Sysop@pro-gsplus.cts.com"

Mark

     [ Mark Steiger, Sysop, The Igloo  218/262-3142     300/1200/2400 baud]

ProLine.:penguin@gnh-igloo                          America Online: Goalie5
UUCP....:crash!gnh-igloo!penguin                    MCI Mail......: MSteiger
Internet:penguin@gnh-igloo.cts.com
ARPA....:crash!gnh-igloo!penguin@nosc.mil

lazer@lablues.UUCP (Patrick Delahanty) (06/09/91)

Someone tell inCider/A+ to get their butts over here!  I think they'd learn
a thing or two from this net.

-Lazer (Co-sysop L/A Blues   207-777-3465)