[comp.sys.apple2] GS Installer

taob@micor.ocunix.on.ca (Brian Tao) (06/01/91)

   I want to include the Installer with a shareware HCGS stack I'm writing.
I have the Installer script written and ready to go.  Problem is, do I need
to license GS/OS just to distribute the Installer program?  It comes on tthe
System Tools disk, so I assume it is part of the system software.  Am I
correct in this assumption?  I'd rather not pay a $50 fee for something
like shareware or freeware.

--
Brian T. Tao   *B-)  |  taob@micor.ocunix.on.ca  |  "Though this be
2705-1510 Riverside  |           - or -          |   madness, yet there

geniusman@pro-hindugods.cts.com (Chris Moylan) (06/03/91)

>   I want to include the Installer with a shareware HCGS stack I'm writing.
>I have the Installer script written and ready to go.  Problem is, do I need
>to license GS/OS just to distribute the Installer program?  It comes on tthe
>System Tools disk, so I assume it is part of the system software.  Am I
>correct in this assumption?  I'd rather not pay a $50 fee for something
>like shareware or freeware.

Why not just include the scripts? Instruct the users to place them in their
/system.tools/scripts/ folder and execute the Installer program they
already have?  Hope I helped!

Chris

Chris Moylan                    | ProLine: geniusman@pro-hindugods
CoSysop: Hindu Love Gods BBS    | Internet: geniusman@pro-hindugods.cts.com
313/644-0481                    | UUCP: crash!pro-hindugods!geniusman
300-9600 bps, v.32/v.42/v.42bis | ARPA: crash!pro-hindugods!geniusman@nosc.mil

diz@pro-gsplus.cts.com (Steven Disbrow) (06/05/91)

Brian T. Tao writes:
>I want to include the Installer with a shareware HCGS stack...
>...do I need to liscense GS/OS just to distribute the Installer?

Actually, it's not GS/OS you have to liscense, it's the System Software.
The cost is $75/year and yep, you have to liscense the whole thing to
distribute any one part of it.  We liscense it so that we can include the
Installer on the GS+ Disk.

For a complete liscensing package, call Stephanie Gwerder at (408)
974-4771.

My advice would be to include your Installer _scripts_ with your stack and
require the user to provide the Installer program.  It will require a bit
of extra documentation, but it will save you some bucks.

Diz

JWANKERL@UTCVM.BITNET ("Josef W. Wankerl") (06/06/91)

On Wed, 5 Jun 91 07:56:04 GMT Steven Disbrow said:
>My advice would be to include your Installer _scripts_ with your stack and
>require the user to provide the Installer program.  It will require a bit
>of extra documentation, but it will save you some bucks.

Actually, you'd save documentation.  You could avoid describing how to
hand install the system.  But, in relation to a package where the
installer is included, there would be additional documentation telling
the user to move the script to the disk that had the Installer and put
it in a Script folder.  :-)

--
===> Josef W. Wankerl, Technical Editor for GS+ Magazine
  BITNET:  JWANKERL@UTCVM.BITNET       | America Online:  JWankerl

In article <gouu34w162w@micor.ocunix.on.ca> taob@micor.ocunix.on.ca (Brian Tao) writes:

>   I want to include the Installer with a shareware HCGS stack I'm writing.
>I have the Installer script written and ready to go.  Problem is, do I need
>to license GS/OS just to distribute the Installer program?  It comes on tthe
>System Tools disk, so I assume it is part of the system software.  Am I
>correct in this assumption?  I'd rather not pay a $50 fee for something
>like shareware or freeware.
>
>--
>Brian T. Tao   *B-)  |  taob@micor.ocunix.on.ca  |  "Though this be
>2705-1510 Riverside  |           - or -          |   madness, yet there
>Ottawa, ON  K1G 4X5  |      taob@micor.uucp      |   is method in 't."

You are correct in the assumption.  For the licensing fee of $100 (I think,
I'm not sure), you get to license anything that comes on the two-disk
System Software set.

This is usually a good deal for developers, but it does backfire in the cases
of shareware authors who want only one component of the System Software.
Sorry.

(BTW, the same is true for the 8-bit software -- when you license P8, you
get to distribute P8 or anything else on the 8-bit system disk, including
System Utilities, FastCopy, BASIC.SYSTEM and whatever else is there.)

Matt Deatherage, Developer Technical  | The opinions expressed herein are
Support, Apple Computer, Inc.         | not those of Apple Computer, and
Personal mail only, please.  Thanks.  | shame on you for thinking otherwise.
^^^^^^^^ Technical questions are not personal. Please post them instead.

q4kx@vax5.cit.cornell.edu (Joel Sumner) (06/06/91)

In article <53690@apple.Apple.COM>,
mattd@Apple.COM (Matt Deatherage) writes:
> In article <gouu34w162w@micor.ocunix.on.ca> taob@micor.ocunix.on.ca (Brian Tao) writes:
>>
>>   I want to include the Installer with a shareware HCGS stack I'm writing.
>>I have the Installer script written and ready to go.  Problem is, do I need
>>to license GS/OS just to distribute the Installer program?  It comes on tthe
>>System Tools disk, so I assume it is part of the system software.  Am I
>>correct in this assumption?  I'd rather not pay a $50 fee for something
>>like shareware or freeware.
>
> You are correct in the assumption.  For the licensing fee of $100 (I think,
> I'm not sure), you get to license anything that comes on the two-disk
> System Software set.
>
> This is usually a good deal for developers, but it does backfire in the cases
> of shareware authors who want only one component of the System Software.
> Sorry.

Matt.  Since you and all other Apple people want us to use the installer so
much, is there any way to convince Apple to make a separate license for
the installer ($5 or something?).  That way shareware developers would be
more inclined to provide installation scripts, people would become more
likely to use the installer, and everyone would be happy.  How bout it?

--
Joel Sumner                     GENIE:JOEL.SUMNER     This .sig may not be used
q4kx@cornella.ccs.cornell.edu   q4kx@cornella         for public viewing or

taob@micor.ocunix.on.ca (Brian Tao) (06/10/91)

diz@pro-gsplus.cts.com (Steven Disbrow) writes:

> Actually, it's not GS/OS you have to liscense, it's the System Software.
> The cost is $75/year and yep, you have to liscense the whole thing to
> distribute any one part of it.  We liscense it so that we can include the
> Installer on the GS+ Disk.
[..snip..]
> My advice would be to include your Installer _scripts_ with your stack and
> require the user to provide the Installer program.  It will require a bit
> of extra documentation, but it will save you some bucks.
>
> Diz

    I think that's what I will end up doing.  It isn't all that hard to
install the HCGS stack, icons, fonts, etc., but I guess for those who are
still queasy when they open up the System folder, the script will put their
minds at rest.

    On another topic: can I mail in a subscription to you through e-mail, or
do you prefer the customary phone call/paper mail order form?  Our user
group here always has the latest issue of GS+ for reference at the meetings,
and I _really_ want copies for myself now!  :)