[comp.sys.apple2] MD-BASIC

In article <1991May28.061315.19279@unlinfo.unl.edu> greg@hoss.unl.edu (Lig Lury Jr.) writes:
>>ProLine is written in AppleSoft Basic...actually more like MD-Basic...Morgan
>>Davis's ORIGINAL creation.
>
>Don't forget to mention that MD-BASIC requires an Apple IIgs to run, and
>adds to the price of the product.  Another fun things is that the code
>comes in AppleSoft with sequential line numbers, making editing a chore
>without a renumbering program.

	But you're not supposed to be editing the program in AppleSoft!
You edit the source file then recompile (or reinterpret or whatever it
actually is) it back into an AppleSoft file. It just seems you may be
missing the point of MD-BASIC, from what I've read of it.
--
/unknown@ucscb.ucsc.edu       Apple IIGS Forever!        unknown@cats.ucsc.edu\
|WANT to help get ULTIMA VI //e or GS written?-mail me. CHEAP CD info-mail me.|

drudman@hpcc01.HP.COM (Drew Rudman) (05/31/91)

I'm sorry, but any system that is based on Applesoft basic is definitely NOT
the best.  Pro-Line has its merits, but it is lacking in many respects.  Sure,
if you want a system straight out of the box - maybe Pro-Line is for you.

GBBS on the other hand provides you with a completely new programming language
(very similar to basic so the transition is not that difficult) that offers
text file based source code and a compiler.  No run-time interpretation of
your system segments.  This results in a faster system.  I looked at Pro-Line
when I began investigating starting a BBS, but I made the decision to go
with GBBS because of its programming flexibility.  The ACOS programming
language does have its quirks, but with improvements such as MACOS and METAL,
the language has become quite robust and very quick.

As far as networking goes, it is very easy to set up networking modules for
GBBS (take a look at Ogg-Net, a 30 system network, hubbed across the US.)  It
may not have Internet support, but creating support for it would be very easy
for a decent ACOS programmer.  Pro-Line may have a better installed base for
Networking, but it is not the ONLY networking Apple II software.

I'm not stating that GBBS (ACOS or METAL) is the end-all BBS software for
the Apple II, but it does excel in some areas that Pro-Line doesn't.

[ Call...              9600bps/60meg ][ Drew Rudman                          ]
[            The Charge              ][                                      ]
[   Apple ][              IBM        ][ Internet: drudman@hpiosa.corp.hp.com ]
[          (415) 321-4713            ][ The Charge BBS: Axe Slinger (#1)     ]

greg@hoss.unl.edu (Lig Lury Jr.) (06/01/91)

unknown@ucscb.UCSC.EDU (The Unknown User) writes:
>greg@hoss.unl.edu (Lig Lury Jr.) writes:
>>@ () writes:

>>>ProLine is written in AppleSoft Basic...actually more like MD-Basic...Morgan
>>>Davis's ORIGINAL creation.

>>Don't forget to mention that MD-BASIC requires an Apple IIgs to run, and
>>adds to the price of the product.  Another fun things is that the code
>>comes in AppleSoft with sequential line numbers, making editing a chore
>>without a renumbering program.

>But you're not supposed to be editing the program in AppleSoft!
>You edit the source file then recompile (or reinterpret or whatever it
>actually is) it back into an AppleSoft file. It just seems you may be
>missing the point of MD-BASIC, from what I've read of it.

How can you do that if you can't run MD-BASIC?  That is my point!  If you
don't have a IIgs, you are going to suffer badly.

///   ____   \\\ "The major problem--one of the major problems, for there are
| |/ /    \ \| |       several--one of the many major problems with governing
 \\_|\____/|_//            people is of whom you get to do it, or more to the
greg \_\\\/ hoss.unl.edu    point, who gets people to let them do it to them."

drudman@hpcc01.HP.COM (Drew Rudman) writes:

>GBBS on the other hand provides you with a completely new programming language
>(very similar to basic so the transition is not that difficult) that offers
>text file based source code and a compiler.  No run-time interpretation of
>your system segments.

Er, it is interpreted.  In fact, one can take the .C (or .G, if it is the
older version) file and "decompile" it into the .S file again, lacking the
original comments and non-PUBLIC labels.  (Given generic names.)  I have a
C program to do that now.

>The ACOS programming
>language does have its quirks,

Oh ACOS, how it bugs you, let me count the ways... ACOS needs to go
through a lot of bug fixes, which L&L seems to refuse that they exist.
You have to be able to tell them exactly how to reproduce the error, which
is near to impossible.  One I found I traced back to it not liking to be
run with my ProDOS v1.7 with Bird's Better Bye.  Its lack of arrays is its
worst point.

>but with improvements such as MACOS and METAL,
>the language has become quite robust and very quick.

MACOS is of dubious legal status, and METAL is a separate program
altogether.  Now if there was an ACOS->METAL translator (and there was a
driver for my modem) I'd switch very quickly.  I'd love to help get it
working.  Right now, when I switch over, I'm strictly local.  I'm going to
need to make lots of changes.  Hotkeys have got to go.

>As far as networking goes, it is very easy to set up networking modules for
>GBBS (take a look at Ogg-Net, a 30 system network, hubbed across the US.)  It
>may not have Internet support, but creating support for it would be very easy
>for a decent ACOS programmer.

In fact there are people working on this now.  Already there is support
available for sysops via Internet mail.  I run the thing.  METAL support
is available too.

geniusman@pro-hindugods.cts.com (Chris Moylan) (06/01/91)

>	But you're not supposed to be editing the program in AppleSoft!
>You edit the source file then recompile (or reinterpret or whatever it
>actually is) it back into an AppleSoft file. It just seems you may be
>missing the point of MD-BASIC, from what I've read of it.

Yes, but MD-BASIC costs money to buy, and you HAVE to have a GS for it to
even run, so editing ProLine files on a //e IS a chore without a renumbering
program.  However you are correct I think about the use of MD-BASIC to edit
and recompile BASIC programs.

Chris

Chris Moylan                    | ProLine: geniusman@pro-hindugods
CoSysop: Hindu Love Gods BBS    | Internet: geniusman@pro-hindugods.cts.com
313/644-0481                    | UUCP: crash!pro-hindugods!geniusman
300-9600 bps, v.32/v.42/v.42bis | ARPA: crash!pro-hindugods!geniusman@nosc.mil

psonnek@pro-mansion.cts.com (Patrick Sonnek) (06/01/91)

>How can you do that if you can't run MD-BASIC?  That is my point!  If you
>don't have a IIgs, you are going to suffer badly.

I've yet to find a reason to change Morgans code.  I've added a couple of
modules to the system, but that did not require changing the pro-line code,
as I didn't change proline code, I didn't need MD-basic.  (modules add very
easily, as any basic program in the $/bin directory is a valid proline
command.)  I don't need to write things like a full screen
editor, because one already exists.  I don't need ACOS to change the menus,
as all the menus are contained as arrays in $/etc/plush.m.  ETM is available
for proline, so you do have access to one of the better file transfer systems.
And to add to the list of kudos, I to have Morgans support to be outstanding,
as well as the support from the 90+ proline sysops.

----
ProLine:  psonnek@pro-mansion    Sysop Pro-mansion: 507/726-6181
Internet: psonnek@pro-mansion.cts.com  MCImail:     psonnek
UUCP:     crash!pro-mansion!psonnek  ARPA: crash!pro-mansion!psonnek@nosc.mil
BITNET:   psonnek%pro-mansion.cts.com@nosc.mil
               <<Real programmers don't program in HLL's.>>
               <<HLL's are for wimpy, application coders!>>

greg@hoss.unl.edu (Lig Lury Jr.) (06/02/91)

psonnek@pro-mansion.cts.com (Patrick Sonnek) writes:
>greg@hoss.unl.edu (Lig Lury, Jr.) writes:

>>How can you do that [edit code] if you can't run MD-BASIC?  That is my
>>point!  If you don't have a IIgs, you are going to suffer badly.

>I've yet to find a reason to change Morgans code.

I've got one.  Lack of a hard drive.  I don't currently have plans to
network all over the place.  I want to excise the bulk I don't need right
now, so I can get it to run on 2 800K devices.

At least with ACOS, you get the functionality and ease of coding found in
MD-BASIC as standard packaging.  True, you don't have things like arrays,
but you aren't stuck with running another clone system.  If you don't
modify the code you are given, you might as well be running an IBM
system.

>And to add to the list of kudos, I to have Morgans support to be outstanding,
>as well as the support from the 90+ proline sysops.

So far I've just been told basically that my lack of a hard drive was a
deficiency in my hardware, not with ProLine.  I feel it is equally a
deficiency in ProLine that it is requiring me to have said hardware.  This
came from Morgan, in a public message.

Then again, I haven't gotten my registration cards sent in yet, but my
registration hangs on whether I can get it to run or not.

>ProLine:  psonnek@pro-mansion    Sysop Pro-mansion: 507/726-6181
>Internet: psonnek@pro-mansion.cts.com  MCImail:     psonnek
>UUCP:     crash!pro-mansion!psonnek  ARPA: crash!pro-mansion!psonnek@nosc.mil
>BITNET:   psonnek%pro-mansion.cts.com@nosc.mil
>               <<Real programmers don't program in HLL's.>>
>               <<HLL's are for wimpy, application coders!>>

And you run a ProLine site.  BASIC is an HLL.  Oh, forgot, you have said
you found no reason to edit the code.

--
///   ____   \\\ "The major problem--one of the major problems, for there are
| |/ /    \ \| |       several--one of the many major problems with governing
 \\_|\____/|_//            people is of whom you get to do it, or more to the
greg \_\\\/ hoss.unl.edu    point, who gets people to let them do it to them."

geniusman@pro-hindugods.cts.com (Chris Moylan) (06/03/91)

It is NOT based on AppleSoft Basic entirely.  It has AmperWorks and
ModemWorks to give it commands AppleSoft could NEVER have otherwise.  As
for ACOS, what the HELL is it?  If I bought a BBS, I'd buy one based on a
language I already know.  I also think the GBBS compiler is no better than
MD-BASIC which compiles BASIC w/ ModemWorks and AmperWorks files into
a usable application.  ProLine is based on a UNIX type interface, which
GBBS has not, in fact, GBBS has not a lot, from what I've seen.  It's
message bases are hard to use, it has NO user friendliness, and it is NOT
AT ALL faster than ProLine on a similar system.  The reason I said it has
no user friendliness is because when I called it, I logged in new and when
I finally made it to a Main Menu of some kind, I had to keep pressing '?'
to get the menu again!  It was SO hard to use, and the message bases are
not so great also.

BTW - I know a few BBS sysops who have dropped GBBS for ProLine, don't
underestimate AppleSoft basic's flexbility. Have you ever written a ProLine
application?  I have.

danield@pro-grouch.cts.com (Daniel Davidson) (06/03/91)

>So far I've just been told basically that my lack of a hard drive was a
>deficiency in my hardware, not with ProLine.  I feel it is equally a
>deficiency in ProLine that it is requiring me to have said hardware.  This
>came from Morgan, in a public message.

The List of hardware requirements for ProLine includes at leat 5Meg of hard
drive space.  This is included in every bit of adversiting that the Morgan
Davis Group does for the product.

As I see it, you complaint is akin to yelling at Apple because GS/OS will not
run on your //e.

Daniel
(sysop@pro-grouch.cts.com)

greg@hoss.unl.edu (Lig Lury Jr.) (06/03/91)

geniusman@pro-hindugods.cts.com (Chris Moylan) writes:

>It is NOT based on AppleSoft Basic entirely.  It has AmperWorks and
>ModemWorks to give it commands AppleSoft could NEVER have otherwise.

Ampersand routines.  Just what we need, remembering all these extra things
to use if we want to code it directly in AppleSoft.  Nice that similar
commands are nice and straightforward in ACOS.

>As
>for ACOS, what the HELL is it?

ACOS is the language which GBBS "Pro" runs in.  It is a BASIC.

>If I bought a BBS, I'd buy one based on a
>language I already know.

It doesn't take long to learn ACOS.  It is a BASIC, and history shows that
it can be learned rather quickly.

>I also think the GBBS compiler is no better than
>MD-BASIC which compiles BASIC w/ ModemWorks and AmperWorks files into
>a usable application.

The GBBS compiler (ACOS -- oh, might as well define that acronym:
All-purpose Communications Operating System) doesn't require the addition
of things like ModemWorks and AmperWorks, since everything is already
built into the language.

>ProLine is based on a UNIX type interface, which
>GBBS has not,

Whoever told you UNIX was the best interface ever is a damned liar.

>in fact, GBBS has not a lot, from what I've seen.  It's
>message bases are hard to use, it has NO user friendliness, and it is NOT
>AT ALL faster than ProLine on a similar system.

Then your comparison was on a poor system.  I have seen poor GBBS systems,
usually due to sysop neglect.  I find the message bases the best line-mode
interface I have yet encountered.  I'd place it above rn.  I'd say nn was
better, if I wasn't restricting myself to discussion of line-mode
presentation.  As to speed, you probably were comparing a //e GBBS system
to a IIgs ProLine system, or at least an accellerated version of ProLine.
AppleSloth got that name for a reason.

Also make sure you weren't comparing a 2400 bps connection to a local mode
access.  (Yes, there are people who will do this.)

>The reason I said it has
>no user friendliness is because when I called it, I logged in new and when
>I finally made it to a Main Menu of some kind, I had to keep pressing '?'
>to get the menu again!

You just named a thing that I despise other systems for:  printing
full-screen menus at every opportunity, including while trying to read
messages.  True, they have a mode to prevent them from appearing unless
asked for, but then they terse everything down.  I feel that when a user
wants a menu they will ASK for it, not have it foisted on them every time.
One user captures important menus in his copy buffer, and references it
only when needed, and not wasting valuable online time having it sent.

>It was SO hard to use, and the message bases are
>not so great also.

Sounds like you let your own IBM system expectations get in the way.
Disgusted you had to hit return occasionally to do an option?  Hotkeys
are another hatred of mine, only tolerated while in reading mode.  One
burst of line noise and you might as well activated the randomizer on your
TARDIS.  The fact that you rate the message bases slightly higher probably
reflects this.  Hotkeys prevent inclusion of parameters, an ability I use
often.

>BTW - I know a few BBS sysops who have dropped GBBS for ProLine, don't
>underestimate AppleSoft basic's flexbility. Have you ever written a ProLine
>application?  I have.

AppleSoft BASIC's inflexibility is aptly demonstrated by the need to use
& routines.

>Chris Moylan                    | ProLine: geniusman@pro-hindugods
>CoSysop: Hindu Love Gods BBS    | Internet: geniusman@pro-hindugods.cts.com
>313/644-0481                    | UUCP: crash!pro-hindugods!geniusman
>300-9600 bps, v.32/v.42/v.42bis | ARPA: crash!pro-hindugods!geniusman@nosc.mil

And BASIC is an acronym.  Please treat it as such.  It belongs in all
CAPS.

Oh, how many of these ProLine systems here charge a fee for the use of the
system?  There exist time=money code in the system.

Reminds me of some dialog from a movie:

"Time is money."
"I thought you said opium was money."
"Money is money!"
"Then what was time, again?"

--

bbarba@pro-torii.cts.com (Bob Barba) (06/04/91)

> Oh, how many of these ProLine systems here charge a fee for the use of the
> system?  There exist time=money code in the system.

This Pro-Torii from Japan a Pro-Line site.  I am networked with the other
Pro-Line sites in the States and I DON'T CHARGE FOR ACCESS here.

Now for the rest of the Pro-Line SysOps:

How many of you charge for access to your Pro-Line board??  Seems like
"Enquiring minds want to know!"

----
ProLine:  bbarba@pro-torii                         | Pro-Torii (Iwakuni, Japan)
Internet: bbarba@pro-torii.cts.com                 | 011-81-611-753-4846
UUCP:     crash!pro-torii!bbarba                   | Hrs: 8pm - 5am Mon-Thr
Mail: Bob Barba, PO Box 139  FPO Seattle, Wa 98764 |      8pm Fri - 5am Mon
----

greg@hoss.unl.edu (Lig Lury Jr.) (06/04/91)

danield@pro-grouch.cts.com (Daniel Davidson) writes:
>greg@hoss.unl.edu (Lig Lury, Jr.) writes:

>>So far I've just been told basically that my lack of a hard drive was a
>>deficiency in my hardware, not with ProLine.  I feel it is equally a
>>deficiency in ProLine that it is requiring me to have said hardware.  This
>>came from Morgan, in a public message.

>The List of hardware requirements for ProLine includes at leat 5Meg of hard
>drive space.  This is included in every bit of adversiting that the Morgan
>Davis Group does for the product.

The first I knew about it was when the software arrived.  The messages
from people with ProLine, which could be inferred as free advertising,
don't mention it.  People are strongly suggesting others buy ProLine
without going into all its requirements.  Morgan never told me about the
limitation until I mentioned it after I discovered it.  Never saw a single
printed ad for ProLine until it arrived.

However I am not complaining that I wasn't well informed.  I am under
agreement from Morgan on not saying why (although a regular reader of
alt.bbs should be able to explain it for you, due to Morgan accidentally
crossposting mail to me publically).

>As I see it, you complaint is akin to yelling at Apple because GS/OS will not
>run on your //e.

My sister has a IIe.  I have a IIgs.  I thought I'd clarify that.
(Further clarification, I say IIe instead of //e because her's is
unenhanced.)  It isn't that much similar an argument anyway.  We're
talking storage, not processors.

>Daniel
>(sysop@pro-grouch.cts.com)

If ProLine had a way to tell it it was running off of multiple disks
instead of one partiton then I wouldn't be having so many problems.  Seems
the largest the system can get is 32 MB.  Alot of that is going to be used
for your networking "needs".  ACOS splits up nicely.  METAL even better,
since you aren't restricted to only the predefined drive specifiers in
ACOS.

--
///   ____   \\\ "The major problem--one of the major problems, for there are
| |/ /    \ \| |       several--one of the many major problems with governing
 \\_|\____/|_//            people is of whom you get to do it, or more to the
greg \_\\\/ hoss.unl.edu    point, who gets people to let them do it to them."

sysadmin@pnet91.cts.com (Matthew Montano) (06/04/91)

For your information:

The charge system in ProLine has NEVER been finished. It exists as a loose end
for some enterprising programmer to do his work in.

My background: I have run an Apple II BBS for four years now. I have used a
Macintosh, and presently use a UNIX box for the purpose. But for almost three
years I ran it on an Apple II, half the time on ProLine, half the time on
GBBS.

Guess which one I ran first? GBBS.

My opinions on ACOS: It's buggy as hell. Applesoft, albeit an interpreted
program, has virtually zero bugs. ACOS' bugs are intermittent and can wreck
havock on a system. It's handling of message files is attrocious (although
unique) and dangerous. ACOS has virtually no control over the serial port and
local screen except through poke's and peek's. ACOS cannot make a IIgs modem
port dial out.. useless for networking.

I wrote a complete networking/mail handler system in ACOS a few years back. I
never released it, but would dread doing it again. I was constantly fighting
ACOS bugs. It was also horribly slow. ACOS' bugs creep up in linking programs,
the use of global variables etc.

As well, ACOS does nasty things at the ProDOS level. Think it uses MLI calls
to read and write files? Nope, reads and writes files itself, block by block,
by passing the standard MLI calls. Real stupid there.. your simply asking for
a corrupted HD.

I paid $45 more for ProLine, and got a LOT more. For one thing, I can call (or
email) the author if I have a problem. He'll respond, usually with a fix,
whatta concept. I was writing a module for ProLine that would use a
non-sanctioned method of transfering messages faster. The author of ProLine
STILL helped me work on it. Almost any level headed suggestion gets
implemented in ProLine on the next release. ProLine sysops were talking about
a mail-based UNIX style mail-server. Two weeks later, we had one! Before
anyone wanted a full screen editor, we got one!

ProLine is a modern, fully featured piece of speedy BBS software for any Apple
II capable of running ProDOS (even most clones). It has an author who
understands the BBS market, continually writes new programs, provides
immediate bug fixes and solutions. ProLine follows Apple's rules, connects to
the rest of the world in a standard publically documented method provides for
much easier user expansion of the system and still astounds some callers as to
the system it is running off of.

GBBS is a speedy, customizable package which doesn't follow the rules for
accessing the HD, uses poor security measures for passwords, has many back
doors etc. Has no standards for networking. Is ridden with bugs in the ACOS
compiler. GBBS's technical support person, Lance Taylor Warren never even
WROTE the damn program... he hardly knows 65C02 code! Mr. Warren has been
promising a new version of the GBBS system since a I year before I bought
GBBS, in 1987! Bug fixes (i.e. ACOS v2.0) cost people money!.. and it wasn't
bug free.... UGH!

Not that GBBS is horrible... But for MOST people, ProLine represents a better
BBS system to go for.

Matthew
---
ventureTech Intelligence - We're trying to make computers easy, SOME HOW!
Email: sysadmin@pnet91.cts.com (most mailers won't barf on that..)
My comments aren't even worth a disclaimer...
And the further I get from the things that I care about...
The less I care about how much further away I get   -   Robert Smith, 1989

danield@pro-grouch.cts.com (Daniel Davidson) (06/04/91)

geniusman@pro-hindugods.cts.com (Chris Moylan) writes:
>>It is NOT based on AppleSoft Basic entirely.  It has AmperWorks and
>>ModemWorks to give it commands AppleSoft could NEVER have otherwise.
>Ampersand routines.  Just what we need, remembering all these extra things
>to use if we want to code it directly in AppleSoft.  Nice that similar
>commands are nice and straightforward in ACOS.

Most of the ampersand commands from ModemWorks/amperworks are things you
can't do stright from ACOS anyhow. Things like Terminal Emulation using
Termcaps. That was something Lance Has been promising for the past several
years with ACOS and LLUCE.

>Hot Keys
>are another hatred of mine, only tolerated while in reading mode.  One
>burst of line noise and you might as well activated the randomizer on your
>TARDIS.

Finaly somethine we agree on!  I can't stand Hot keys for the most part.
As for the randomiser, The Doctor did finaly get rid of that for all the
good it does him... (Oops, Wrong news group :) )

>BTW - I know a few BBS sysops who have dropped GBBS for ProLine, don't
>underestimate AppleSoft basic's flexbility. Have you ever written a ProLine
>application?  I have.

>AppleSoft BASIC's inflexibility is aptly demonstrated by the need to use
>& routines.

ACOS's infexability is apty demonstrated by it's lack of arrays, and a
working ON ERR GOTO tyoe statement.

>Oh, how many of these ProLine systems here charge a fee for the use of the
>system?  There exist time=money code in the system.

To my knowledge there are No ProLine sites that charge a fee.

FYI, I am a registered GBBS "Pro" sysop, and I Choose to run proline.  System
maint is much better, and you don't have to edit the calling program (ie.
Main.seg) to add extra programs (Like SuperTac).  Even when I was running
GBBS "Pro" I always thought it was a kludge. It never seemed well planed or
organized to me.

Daniel
(root@pro-grouch)

sb@pnet91.cts.com (Stephen Brown) (06/05/91)

sysadmin@pnet91.cts.com (Matthew Montano) writes:

[cut]

>My opinions on ACOS: It's buggy as hell. Applesoft, albeit an interpreted
>program, has virtually zero bugs. ACOS' bugs are intermittent and can wreck

[cut]

Incorrect. AppleSoft is buggy as hell. There are dozens of articles in CALL
APPLE (probably in SoftTalk too) on AppleSoft's errors. They even mention one
in the Apple II Users' Guide. Fortunately, however, *most* AppleSoft bugs
won't send you into the Monitor, rather thay'll cause unpredictable results or
cause the machine to hang.

>Matthew
>---
>ventureTech Intelligence - We're trying to make computers easy, SOME HOW!
>Email: sysadmin@pnet91.cts.com (most mailers won't barf on that..)
>My comments aren't even worth a disclaimer...
>And the further I get from the things that I care about...
>The less I care about how much further away I get   -   Robert Smith, 1989

| Stephen Brown                           Toronto, Canada |
| Internet: sb@pnet91.cts.com      UUCP: utzoo!pnet91!sb  |
| Apple II Forever !!!                                    |
| Like my new .signature. ?    Too bad.                   |

greg@hoss.unl.edu (Lig Lury Jr.) (06/05/91)

sysadmin@pnet91.cts.com (Matthew Montano) writes:

>My opinions on ACOS: It's buggy as hell. Applesoft, albeit an interpreted
>program, has virtually zero bugs. ACOS' bugs are intermittent and can [wreak
>havok] on a system.

What version of ACOS were you using?  What version of ProDOS were you
using?

I had lots of strange bugs (like it saying clr$=chr$(12)+chr$(0)+chr$(0)
was a String Too Long error at the first + on the first pass after
startup, but not after hitting S on the ***RESTART prompt) which I finally
was able to track down to ProDOS 8 v1.7.  Also lots of LINK errors which
fixed themselves in the opposite manner of the clr$ bug.  Updating to the
ProDOS 8 v1.8 supplied in the upgrade archive available for free download
from L&L Support fixed this.  I'm now running ProDOS 8 v1.9, and still no
major bugs.  (The LINK errors caused ML crashes.  No longer with the right
ProDOS.)

Basically, ACOS is picky about the version of ProDOS you use.  It
shouldn't be, but it is.

>It's handling of message files is attrocious (although
>unique) and dangerous.

I love how it does it.  Saves lots of space wasted with using regular text
files, and one rarely needs to write more than 4K, unless you are doing
major >including.  Access is nice and fast.  One sysop used message files
for more than just storing messages.  Storing custom user emulations.
Information on locations of downloads.  Quote generators.  He stopped
using it due to using wrong ProDOS and not realizing it.  Now he's trying
his hand at coding his own system in C.

Lack of message files is one of the drawbacks I find with METAL, which is
a rather good system, which will have more standard features than ProLine
when finished.

>ACOS has virtually no control over the serial port and
>local screen except through poke's and peek's.

And ProLine does?  Have you ever used the PRINT @ command in ACOS?  That
is part of the code in LOGON.SEG.  There are also ways to direct output to
console-only or modem-only.  This was all outlined in the manual.

>ACOS cannot make a IIgs modem
>port dial out.. useless for networking.

I don't know about that.  My modem is internal, and I don't network
anyway.  Not a requirement for a BBS, never was.

>I wrote a complete networking/mail handler system in ACOS a few years back. I
>never released it, but would dread doing it again. I was constantly fighting
>ACOS bugs. It was also horribly slow. ACOS' bugs creep up in linking programs,
>the use of global variables etc.

Sounds like problems with ProDOS version to me.

>As well, ACOS does nasty things at the ProDOS level. Think it uses MLI calls
>to read and write files? Nope, reads and writes files itself, block by block,
>by passing the standard MLI calls. Real stupid there.. your simply asking for
>a corrupted HD.

Again, what version of ACOS?  Also, what hard drive?  I've never gotten a
corrupted disk from using ACOS.  I run off 2 800K disks.  With a little
moving around of files, I could add a file transfer system, but who needs
it?  There are already too many such systems around here.  Just asking for
leeches.

>I paid $45 more for ProLine, and got a LOT more. For one thing, I can call (or
>email) the author if I have a problem. He'll respond, usually with a fix,
>whatta concept.

While support from L&L Support is substandard, one can usually get good
help from fellow sysops.  The variables on$ and off$ have become defined
for specific purposes already, and are often found used canonically in any
new segment.  (Myself, I don't like them, but that's a personal opinion. :-)

L&L Support isn't the only support system available.  There are other
official support boards, unofficial support boards, and even one which is
"an officially unofficial support board."  If you can pin down a bug in a
reproducable form, Lance supposedly would get it fixed.

>I was writing a module for ProLine that would use a
>non-sanctioned method of transfering messages faster. The author of ProLine
>STILL helped me work on it.

Think he'll help with a non-sanctioned method of storing the system on
separate partitions/disks?

>Almost any level headed suggestion gets
>implemented in ProLine on the next release.

From what I've been told, mine would probably not be considered a "level
headed suggestion".

>ProLine sysops were talking about
>a mail-based UNIX style mail-server. Two weeks later, we had one!

I still don't see why people hail UNIX as THE system to emulate.  It isn't
as if it were perfection incarnate.  (Uh oh, sounds like I'll be flamed by
those who follow the UNIX religion.)

>Before
>anyone wanted a full screen editor, we got one!

A full screen editor is available for ACOS.  METAL has one built-in.

>GBBS is a speedy, customizable package which doesn't follow the rules for
>accessing the HD, uses poor security measures for passwords,

Poor security measures?  You mean not having them encrypted in the files?
Why bother encrypting them when it isn't even possible for the users to
access the file?

>has many back
>doors etc.

I'm just waiting for someone to try.  VCRs are your friends.

>Has no standards for networking.

Who really NEEDS networking?  Ogg-NET is working fine, and code is being
worked on to tie into USENET, Future-NET, and even ProLine systems.
FidoNET code already exists, and is implemented on L&L Support now.

>Is ridden with bugs in the ACOS
>compiler.

Again, if you ran the right ProDOS, most of those bugs would vanish.

>GBBS's technical support person, Lance Taylor Warren never even
>WROTE the damn program... he hardly knows 65C02 code! Mr. Warren has been
>promising a new version of the GBBS system since a I year before I bought
>GBBS, in 1987!

True, I don't have too good of an opinion of "Lancey Taylor".  LLUCE is
the best piece of VaporWare I know.

>Bug fixes (i.e. ACOS v2.0) cost people money!.. and it wasn't
>bug free.... UGH!

Huh?  It didn't cost me to upgrade to v2.11, other than a phone call,
which I believe is what has been stated is all it costs for ProLine.  I
had pre-2.0 before.  Never expect an n.0 version to be bug free; there
are very few exceptions.

>Not that GBBS is horrible... But for MOST people, ProLine represents a better
>BBS system to go for.

For the new sysop with a low budget and no-frills hardware, I cannot
suggest ProLine.  I'd have to suggest ACOS or METAL.

>Matthew
>Email: sysadmin@pnet91.cts.com (most mailers won't barf on that..)

--
///   ____   \\\ "The major problem--one of the major problems, for there are
| |/ /    \ \| |       several--one of the many major problems with governing
 \\_|\____/|_//            people is of whom you get to do it, or more to the
greg \_\\\/ hoss.unl.edu    point, who gets people to let them do it to them."

greg@hoss.unl.edu (Lig Lury Jr.) (06/05/91)

danield@pro-grouch.cts.com (Daniel Davidson) writes:
>geniusman@pro-hindugods.cts.com (Chris Moylan) writes:

Er, not right.

danield@pro-grouch.cts.com (Daniel Davidson) writes:
>greg@hoss.unl.edu (Lig Lury, Jr.) writes:
>>geniusman@pro-hindugods.cts.com (Chris Moylan) writes:

>>>It is NOT based on AppleSoft Basic entirely.  It has AmperWorks and
>>>ModemWorks to give it commands AppleSoft could NEVER have otherwise.

>>Ampersand routines.  Just what we need, remembering all these extra things
>>to use if we want to code it directly in AppleSoft.  Nice that similar
>>commands are nice and straightforward in ACOS.

>Most of the ampersand commands from ModemWorks/amperworks are things you
>can't do stright from ACOS anyhow. Things like Terminal Emulation using
>Termcaps. That was something Lance Has been promising for the past several
>years with ACOS and LLUCE.

This was partially coded by The Equalizer of The Infiltrator in Lincoln,
NE, independently.

>>>BTW - I know a few BBS sysops who have dropped GBBS for ProLine, don't
>>>underestimate AppleSoft basic's flexbility. Have you ever written a ProLine
>>>application?  I have.

>>AppleSoft BASIC's inflexibility is aptly demonstrated by the need to use
>>& routines.

>ACOS's infexability is apty demonstrated by it's lack of arrays, and a
>working ON ERR GOTO tyoe statement.

One can simulate arrays in several ways.  Even AppleSoft has ON ERROR
GOTO.  ON ERROR helps to track down programming errors.

>FYI, I am a registered GBBS "Pro" sysop, and I Choose to run proline.  System
>maint is much better, and you don't have to edit the calling program (ie.
>Main.seg) to add extra programs (Like SuperTac).  Even when I was running
>GBBS "Pro" I always thought it was a kludge. It never seemed well planed or
>organized to me.

I am a registered GBBS "Pro" sysop, METAL owner, and soon to be sending in
the cards for ProLine.  However I run ACOS.  GBBS "Pro" has disappeared
under the modifications I have made.  I would probably be running METAL
right now if I had a modem that worked with it.  (I figure I'll give my
sister this one.)

--

geniusman@pro-hindugods.cts.com (Chris Moylan) (06/05/91)

>The GBBS compiler (ACOS -- oh, might as well define that acronym:
>All-purpose Communications Operating System) doesn't require the addition
>of things like ModemWorks and AmperWorks, since everything is already
>built into the language.

Neither does MD-BASIC.  ModemWorks and AmperWorks install automatically in
BASIC when ProLine boots.  That way all you have to do is put 'em in your
programs.  THEN they are flexible (which is what I meant by AppleSoft being
flexible)

>Whoever told you UNIX was the best interface ever is a damned liar.

I like it best.

>Then your comparison was on a poor system.  I have seen poor GBBS systems,
>usually due to sysop neglect.  I find the message bases the best line-mode
>interface I have yet encountered.  I'd place it above rn.  I'd say nn was
>better, if I wasn't restricting myself to discussion of line-mode
>presentation.  As to speed, you probably were comparing a //e GBBS system
>to a IIgs ProLine system, or at least an accellerated version of ProLine.
>AppleSloth got that name for a reason.

The L & L support BBS suffering from sysop neglect?  That surprises me.
I believe the L & L GBBS is running on a //gs, and the message system STILL
SUCKS!

> Also make sure you weren't comparing a 2400 bps connection to a local mode
>access.  (Yes, there are people who will do this.)

I don't use ProLine's message bases from a console. I have only used it
locally once or twice.

>You just named a thing that I despise other systems for:  printing
>full-screen menus at every opportunity, including while trying to read
>messages.  True, they have a mode to prevent them from appearing unless
>asked for, but then they terse everything down.  I feel that when a user
>wants a menu they will ASK for it, not have it foisted on them every time.
>One user captures important menus in his copy buffer, and references it
>only when needed, and not wasting valuable online time having it sent.

Well, you surely know ProLine menus can be turned off, when you set your
preferences.  Another thing, HOW CAN PEOPLE SAY PLUSH IS UNFRIENDLY??  If you
turn your menus off all you see is

 Main Menu

 Main:_

How is this user unfriendly, it looks the same as any board!
Also, I had never called a GBBS board before when I cablled that one, so how
was I supposed to know the commands by heart. It is a BIG pain to keep going
into scrollback to see the menu again.

>Sounds like you let your own IBM system expectations get in the way.
>Disgusted you had to hit return occasionally to do an option?  Hotkeys
>are another hatred of mine, only tolerated while in reading mode.  One
>burst of line noise and you might as well activated the randomizer on your
>TARDIS.  The fact that you rate the message bases slightly higher probably
>reflects this.  Hotkeys prevent inclusion of parameters, an ability I use
>often.

I can see your point here, but, again, on ProLine you can turn off Hotkeys.

>AppleSoft BASIC's inflexibility is aptly demonstrated by the need to use
>& routines.

I meant AppleSoft WITH AmperWorks and ModemWorks was flexible, I misspoke.

>And BASIC is an acronym.  Please treat it as such.  It belongs in all
>CAPS.

I agree, BASIC is an acronym.  It should be like this: B.A.S.I.C. if you want
to get picky about acronyms! :-)

> Oh, how many of these ProLine systems here charge a fee for the
>use of the system?  There exist time=money code in the system.

Not a one I know of, but it is possible to charge by the minute for on line time

drudman@hpcc01.HP.COM (Drew Rudman) (06/06/91)

>WAIT A SEC... don't associate Lance with TC Wilson.

>Lance has to do with Acos. TC Wilson did Macos (now unsupported) and has
>now wrote, from scratch, M.E.T.A.L., which is similar to,
>but totally blows away acos.

I apologize.  I never meant to lump in TC.  My qualms are with Lance and
L&L.  Both MACOS and METAL are superb products.

greg@hoss.unl.edu (Lig Lury Jr.) (06/06/91)

geniusman@pro-hindugods.cts.com (Chris Moylan) writes:
>greg@hoss.unl.edu (Lig Lury, Jr.) writes:

>>The GBBS compiler (ACOS -- oh, might as well define that acronym:
>>All-purpose Communications Operating System) doesn't require the addition
>>of things like ModemWorks and AmperWorks, since everything is already
>>built into the language.

>Neither does MD-BASIC.  ModemWorks and AmperWorks install automatically in
>BASIC when ProLine boots.  That way all you have to do is put 'em in your
>programs.  THEN they are flexible (which is what I meant by AppleSoft being
>flexible)

Sounds more like MD-BASIC is flexible, and is shoehorning its abilities
into AppleSoft.

>>Whoever told you UNIX was the best interface ever is a damned liar.

>I like it best.

I won't dispute that.  The fact that it is THE best for ALL is what is
untrue.  Whatever fits the needs.  It fits alot but not all of my needs.
Therefore it is not THE best.

>>Then your comparison was on a poor system.  I have seen poor GBBS systems,
>>usually due to sysop neglect.  I find the message bases the best line-mode
>>interface I have yet encountered.

>The L & L support BBS suffering from sysop neglect?  That surprises me.
>I believe the L & L GBBS is running on a //gs, and the message system STILL
>SUCKS!

L&L Support is running what is referred to as "Stock GBBS".  Plain GBBS
with few modifications.  I am genuinely surprised that it is using
FruityDOG to be a FidoNET system.  That isn't like Lance.  GBBS "Pro" as
distributed is a framework to which you can build and modify to make it
something unique.  L&L exists to show that even the stock code is capable
of running.  I believe stock code prints the board number in the form of
Bn, number of current message (out of total), and [N][?=Help] in its
prompt.  Other systems will give online time remaining, board name, x of
y, and more options (like jump to specific message #) in <40 characters.

Unlike ProLine sites, with GBBS, when you see one, you have not seen them
all.

>>You just named a thing that I despise other systems for:  printing
>>full-screen menus at every opportunity, including while trying to read
>>messages.  True, they have a mode to prevent them from appearing unless
>>asked for, but then they terse everything down.  I feel that when a user
>>wants a menu they will ASK for it, not have it foisted on them every time.

>Well, you surely know ProLine menus can be turned off, when you set your
>preferences. ... If you
>turn your menus off all you see is
>
> Main Menu
>
> Main:_
>
>How is this user unfriendly, it looks the same as any board!

This is what I mean by "terse everything down".  You get hardly anything
from that!  Compare with:

[30][Main Menu] (?=Help): _

Time remaining, location, and mentioning how you can call up a menu.  That
comes from GBBS "Pro".  Three errors call up the menu automatically.  Very
friendly to those who are on slow connections.  (I know of 3 people still
at 300 bps in my area, and no, they aren't C= users. :-)

>Also, I had never called a GBBS board before when I cablled that one, so how
>was I supposed to know the commands by heart. It is a BIG pain to keep going
>into scrollback to see the menu again.

The first thing I do when I get on a new system that insists on printing
the menu at every opportunity is to turn the menus off.  When I want help,
I'll ask for it.  There is a fine line between being user friendly and
insulting the user's intelligence.  If they make 3 errors, they need help,
and so get the menu automatically.

>>Hotkeys
>>are another hatred of mine, only tolerated while in reading mode.  One
>>burst of line noise and you might as well activated the randomizer on your
>>TARDIS. ...
>>... Hotkeys prevent inclusion of parameters, an ability I use
>>often.

>I can see your point here, but, again, on ProLine you can turn off Hotkeys.

Good.  Another plus for ProLine.  A minus for Future Visions, the code
that comes with METAL.  Hotkey removal is the first thing I'm doing to
that code.  I have to, when I can tell by ear that my data line is noiser
than my voice line.  Lincoln's Try & Talk is going to get a call from me
soon.

>>AppleSoft BASIC's inflexibility is aptly demonstrated by the need to use
>>& routines.

>I meant AppleSoft WITH AmperWorks and ModemWorks was flexible, I misspoke.

At least you get my point then.

>I agree, BASIC is an acronym.  It should be like this: B.A.S.I.C. if you want
>to get picky about acronyms! :-)

It is so common you can leave off the periods.  Kinda like SCSI. :-)

>Chris Moylan                    | ProLine: geniusman@pro-hindugods
>CoSysop: Hindu Love Gods BBS    | Internet: geniusman@pro-hindugods.cts.com
>313/644-0481                    | UUCP: crash!pro-hindugods!geniusman
>300-9600 bps, v.32/v.42/v.42bis | ARPA: crash!pro-hindugods!geniusman@nosc.mil

--
///   ____   \\\ "The major problem--one of the major problems, for there are
| |/ /    \ \| |       several--one of the many major problems with governing
 \\_|\____/|_//            people is of whom you get to do it, or more to the
greg \_\\\/ hoss.unl.edu    point, who gets people to let them do it to them."

larry@pro-odyssey.cts.com (System Administrator) (06/06/91)

[A lot of trash deleted]

>If ProLine had a way to tell it it was running off of multiple disks
>instead of one partiton then I wouldn't be having so many problems.  Seems
>the largest the system can get is 32 MB.  Alot of that is going to be used
>for your networking "needs".

I think you have gone beyond distortion of facts. Why don't you just lay off.
A few postings back you complain about Adding external software for support,
and just a few posting back you suggest to use Proterm to edit the program
you support.

And the above posting is about as false as you can get. Many Proline SysOps
run their system with a minimum of two partitions (You can use an indefinate
amount with a IIgs).

So it you want to preach do it UNHIPOCRITICAL (is that a word? who cares it
fits) and have your facts unbiased and true.

----
ProLine:  larry@pro-odyssey
Internet: larry@pro-odyssey.cts.com
UUCP:     crash!pro-odyssey!larry
ARPA:     crash!pro-odyssey!larry@nosc.mil

greg@hoss.unl.edu (Lig Lury Jr.) (06/07/91)

larry@pro-odyssey.cts.com (System Administrator) writes:
>greg@hoss.unl.edu (Lig Lury, Jr.) writes:

>>If ProLine had a way to tell it it was running off of multiple disks
>>instead of one partiton then I wouldn't be having so many problems.  Seems
>>the largest the system can get is 32 MB.  Alot of that is going to be used
>>for your networking "needs".

>I think you have gone beyond distortion of facts. Why don't you just lay off.

Hey, if I say something in error, PLEASE point it out.  You might just
change my mind!  I may in fact switch from running ACOS to running
ProLine.  However I am trying my best to react in a civil manner to this
flame.

>A few postings back you complain about Adding external software for support,

Adding?  I thought I was saying all the enhancements one could
realistically do without MD-BASIC was adding, not changing of the core.
AppleSoft is not designed for large applications.  Key routines get lost
in the number pool.

>and just a few posting back you suggest to use Proterm to edit the program
>you support.

I suggest it, but I don't say it is required.  For a long time I used
FreeWriter.  I don't own ProTERM only for editing program segments.  I
also use it for its primary purpose.

>And the above posting is about as false as you can get. Many Proline SysOps
>run their system with a minimum of two partitions (You can use an indefinate
>amount with a IIgs).

Since it is a ProDOS 8 application, aren't you limited to those provided
by ProDOS 8?  If there is some way around this other than SCSI.PART that
can allow an infinite number of partitions via an 8-bit application, I'm
sure EVERYONE will be interested in knowing how.  From what I've seen so
far, stock ProLine assumes it will be residing in one partition.

Let's just say I'm skeptical that you can access all storage on, say a
32 GB drive, using ProDOS 8.  That's 1024 partitions, minimum.

>So it you want to preach do it UNHIPOCRITICAL (is that a word?

Er, non-hipocritically?  Perhaps a topic for alt.usage.english. :-)  Then
again, I just might be taken to alt.flame.spelling, since I'm not sure on
that bit. :-)

>who cares it fits)

The meaning is carried through. :-)

>and have your facts unbiased and true.

I freely admit that ProLine does have many features that are not found in
other Apple BBS software.  However I do maintain that it is NOT the only
choice one can make.  Different people have different needs, and different
hardware and $ restrictions.  Too many people see "suggestion for an Apple
BBS wanted" and pop up with their suggestion of ProLine, before reading on
"I have an Apple //e, 2 5.25" drives, no hard drive, and a limited
budget."

gtolar@xcluud.sccsi.com (Glynne Tolar) (06/07/91)

sysadmin@pnet91.cts.com (Matthew Montano) writes:

> to read and write files? Nope, reads and writes files itself, block by block,
> by passing the standard MLI calls. Real stupid there.. your simply asking for
> a corrupted HD.

I said I was going to stay out of this but when I see a blatent lie I've got
to step in.

Take it from someone who <gasp!> has completely disassembled ACOS.  There
ain't a ProDOS block write call in any version I've seen!  I don't buy some
of your other sayings eather but like I said, I ain't getting into this.
It's almost as bad as II vs. Mac messages.

----
You can paint it all kinds of pretty colors and have speakers give it glowing
reviews, but abortion is still baby killing.
gtolar@xcluud.sccsi.com <-or-> uunet!nuchat!xcluud!gtolar
I didn't write the organization or path.  I just use it.

daveharv@pro-novapple.cts.com (Dave Harvey-SysAdmin) (06/09/91)

>Now for the rest of the Pro-Line SysOps:
>
>How many of you charge for access to your Pro-Line board??  Seems like
>"Enquiring minds want to know!"

No charge for use of our site, however, if you want to sign on other than as
a 'guest' you must be  a member of our user group.  Members can use our BBS
at no additional charge.

proline: pro-novapple!daveharv                    |
uucp: crash!pnet01!pro-novapple!daveharv          |   Pro-novapple BBS
arpa: crash!pnet01!pro-novapple!daveharv@nosc.mil |  300/1200/2400/9600 Baud
Internet: daveharv@pro-novapple.cts.com           |    703-671-0416

Northern Virginia Apple Users Group               |
P.O. Box 8211, Falls Church, VA 22041             |

apollo@pro-hindugods.cts.com (Amrit Chauhan) (06/10/91)

bbarba@pro-torii.cts.com writes:

>Now for the rest of the Pro-Line SysOps:
>
>How many of you charge for access to your Pro-Line board??  Seems like
>"Enquiring minds want to know!"

No charge to use my system at all.  It's free...sometimes I really wish it
wasn't :)

Amrit

===The Hindu Love Gods BBS - - - - Bloomfield Hills, MI - - - -313/644-0481===
ProLine:  apollo@pro-hindugods                | Amrit S. Chauhan
Internet: apollo@pro-hindugods.cts.com        | Voice: 313/644-2971
UUCP:     crash!pro-hindugods!apollo          | Intel 9600ex Modem in use.
ARPA:     crash!pro-hindugods!apollo@nosc.mil | PPE member: thanks jwolverton
The only ProLine site in the 313 area.  Come on, someone buy a ProLine here :)

scottg@gnh-starport.cts.com (Scott Gentry) (06/11/91)

I'm going to hate myself for this, but there's also EBBS.  (Joe, I had to do
it - Your BBS needs to be argued about, too %-))
| Scott Gentry                * ALPE   AFL Scott         *  I never said that!|
| 2051 Mercator Drive         * GEnie  W.GENTRY          *     But you never  |
| Reston, VA 22091            * UUCP: uunet!ingr!ne1300! *         know!      |
| (703) 264-5652              *       brnded!scott       *        Do You?     |