[comp.sys.apple2] Prodos 16

gray@ibis.cs.umass.edu (Lyle Gray) (06/06/91)

Whatever happened to Prodos 16 for the IIgs?  Was it simply renamed to GS/OS,
or what?  See, I have this technical reference book...

Lyle H. Gray                        Internet (personal): gray@cs.umass.edu
Quodata Corporation             Phone: (203) 728-6777, FAX: (203) 247-0249

MQUINN@UTCVM.BITNET (06/07/91)

On Thu, 6 Jun 91 05:42:49 GMT Lyle Gray said:
>Whatever happened to Prodos 16 for the IIgs?  Was it simply renamed to GS/OS,
>or what?  See, I have this technical reference book...

GS/OS is a greatly enhanced descendant of ProDOS 16.  Just about everything
your tech book says about ProDOS 16 should apply to GS/OS, except, perhaps,
for some of the limitations it may mention.  ProDOS 16 was the first OS for
the GS and didn't take full advantage of the GS.  Then came GS/OS... the REAL
GS Operating System.... This is correct to the best of my knowledge, but I
don't claim to be an authority on the subject. :)

  BITNET--  mquinn@utcvm    <------------send files here
  pro-line-- mquinn@pro-gsplus.cts.com

ericmcg@pnet91.cts.com (Eric Mcgillicuddy) (06/08/91)

>Whatever happened to Prodos 16 for the IIgs?  Was it simply renamed to GS/OS,
>or what?  See, I have this technical reference book...

>Lyle H. Gray                        Internet (personal): gray@cs.umass.edu

So do I. Use it to level a table or something, at present it is only valid as
a curiosity peice. You could use it as a coffee table magazine I suppose, just
as a convesation peice with any techno-geeky friends you may have.  :)

GS/OS replaced P16, still maintains compatibility with the old calls. The new
ones are much more efficient though.

UUCP: bkj386!pnet91!ericmcg
INET: ericmcg@pnet91.cts.com

gray@ibis.cs.umass.edu (Lyle Gray) (06/10/91)

In article <825@generic.UUCP> ericmcg@pnet91.cts.com (Eric Mcgillicuddy)
writes:
>>Whatever happened to Prodos 16 for the IIgs?  Was it simply renamed to GS/OS,
>>or what?  See, I have this technical reference book...

>>Lyle H. Gray                        Internet (personal): gray@cs.umass.edu
>
>So do I. Use it to level a table or something, at present it is only valid as
>a curiosity peice. You could use it as a coffee table magazine I suppose, just
>as a convesation peice with any techno-geeky friends you may have.  :)

Well, yes and no.  I might keep it on the coffee table, but I'm more likely to
keep it in my workspace.  I forgot to mention the other curiosity about
Prodos-16 and my system:  I'm still _running_ Prodos-16.  I upgraded my OS
software once since I bought my [Woz] IIgs, but I never got the extra money to
expand the memory for my system.

My question was mostly curiosity.  Now I finally know what people are talking
about when they're talking about GS/OS. ;-)

Lyle H. Gray                        Internet (personal): gray@cs.umass.edu
Quodata Corporation             Phone: (203) 728-6777, FAX: (203) 247-0249

stug@pro-palmtree.cts.com (Stu Graves) (06/11/91)

Prodos 16 was not renamed it was actually replaced by GS/OS.  If for
whatever reason you do not yet have GSOS yet make sure you get it.  It is a
vast improvement.  Current version is 5.0.4
                    stug@pro-palmtree.cts.com
   -- The Palmtree BBS -- (213) 450-9394 -- 300/1200/2400 24 Hours --