[comp.sys.apple2] A letter from Apple to Developers

bsherman@mthvax.cs.miami.edu (Bob Sherman) (06/02/91)

The following was found in my mailbox. The sender claims it is a true
copy of the letter as he received it from Apple.. I pass it along to
the net for whatever value you each may see in it. I make no claims
regarding its contents or validity.

Dear Apple II Developer,

Apple Computer, Inc. was founded 14 years ago based on one product, the Apple
II personal computer. The Apple II and IIGS contribute to our continued
success. It also challenges us as a computer company.

It is important to us that you understand the motivation and vision which
drives us to release new and improved products for the Apple II family. We
hope to afford you a new opportunity to profit and grow with us.

We welcome and encourage your participation in the upcoming seeding programs
and urge your constructive feedback on our newest Apple II products.

We believe that the mission of the Apple II Business Unit is three fold

a. Continue to fulfill demand for affordable computers with a large software
spectrum and hardware support. There remains a large market for color
computers in the consumer and education price range. The Apple IIe and Apple
IIGS continue to show strong demand.

b. Enhance and improve the user experience of those who have previously
invested in the Apple II family. How? By providing solutions that address
obstacles to many customers - such as networking. throughput, and storage
options.

c. Our key focus is shifting to consumers, while our support for education
remains constant.

We continue to invest significant resources in achieving our goals.

We have all enjoyed the evolution of the product line from the original Apple
II to the II Plus, Ile, IIe enhanced, IIc, IIGS (01), IIc Plus, and IIGS
(03). Apple II evolution has not stopped. As many of you have heard, we are
currently working on new enhancements and options. No seeding has taken place
at this time. This letter is your invitation to continue the journey.

Over the next few months we will be seeding a number of new products that
answer the needs of our market. Upcoming products provide advances in storage
media options. Networking will get a boost. The IIe card for the LC will gain
network, fileserver and hard disk support. Another product will answer the
requests for improved speed, more consistent user interface performance, and
a host of user features that enhance the Apple IIGS experience.

There are plenty of details to follow. Your signature on the non-disclosure-
agreement is the key to making these details available to you.

As developers, you have already made an intellectual and financial investment
in products for the Apple II Family. Your investment can generate improved
incremental revenue. By making the relatively small investment in time and
energy necessary to support these newest enhancements you will be expanding
your market and allow us to include you in the promotional materials we
produce. All this adds up to new marketing potential that demands your
consideration.

Please take a moment to fill out the Non-Disclosure agreement included with
this letter. Once we have received the signed agreement, we will provide you
with useful, meaningful, tools and features to expand your business.

Even more important is our renewed focus on consumer business. New marketing
opportunities are upon us. Those who address the needs of the individual user
may expect renewed emphasis from our team in this area.

Someone you care about is using an Apple II computer right now. Your
involvement with furthering the adventure can benefit everyone.

I look forward to hearing from you. I can confidently say that even more good
news is coming.

Sincerely,

Robert Barnes
Evangelist
Apple II Business Unit

--
   bsherman@mthvax.cs.miami.edu |                         | MCI MAIL:BSHERMAN

davewh@microsoft.UUCP (06/06/91)

<text of letter deleted>

Let me verify its validity. I got one too. I signed the NDA (well, a
rep in the developer group I belong to signed it), so when further
info comes, I can't speak... sorry. I'm excited!

Dave Whitney	Microsoft Corp, Work Group Apps  dcw@goldilocks.lcs.mit.edu or
I wrote Z-Link and BinSCII - send me bug reports. {...}!uunet!microsoft!davewh
I only work here. All opinions herein aren't Bill's, they're mine.
"We're samplin' - Yeah we're doin' it. We take good music an' we ruin it."
   -- "Rap Isn't Music"

bugsy@ersys.edmonton.ab.ca (Ryan Shook) (06/11/91)

davewh@microsoft.UUCP writes:

> <text of letter deleted>
>
> Let me verify its validity. I got one too. I signed the NDA (well, a
> rep in the developer group I belong to signed it), so when further
> info comes, I can't speak... sorry. I'm excited!
>
> Dave Whitney	Microsoft Corp, Work Group Apps  dcw@goldilocks.lcs.mit.edu or
> I wrote Z-Link and BinSCII - send me bug reports. {...}!uunet!microsoft!davew
> I only work here. All opinions herein aren't Bill's, they're mine.
> "We're samplin' - Yeah we're doin' it. We take good music an' we ruin it."
>    -- "Rap Isn't Music"

I seem to have lost the gist of the intent of your message. You say Apple
has a message to developers? Could you elaborate for me?

Ryan Shook
Edmonton Remote

Ryan Shook              bugsy@ersys.edmonton.ab.ca
Edmonton Remote Systems:  Serving Northern Alberta since 1982