[comp.sys.apple2] Apple Personal Modem and GS

carnahan@pogo.den.mmc.com (Rich Carnahan) (06/08/91)

I have the chance (if you want to call it that) of picking up an
Apple Personal Modem at a ridiculously low price (at least it seems
that way to me).  I haven't been able to find out any other info
about it other than that.  The company is selling quite a bit of
*excess* stuff next week.  Does anyone know what the chances are
of hooking the modem up to a GS?

Thanks for the help.

Rich

--------------> rich <--------------  carnahan@inljeff.den.mmc.com

Martin Marietta Astronautics Group
Box 1260
MS XL8058
Denver, Colorado 80201-1260

(303) 971-7981

In article <1991Jun7.213229.6213@den.mmc.com> carnahan@pogo.den.mmc.com (Rich Carnahan) writes:
>I have the chance (if you want to call it that) of picking up an
>Apple Personal Modem at a ridiculously low price (at least it seems
>that way to me).  I haven't been able to find out any other info
>about it other than that.  The company is selling quite a bit of
>*excess* stuff next week.  Does anyone know what the chances are
>of hooking the modem up to a GS?

#define DONTGETPISSED TRUE;
#include <sarcasm.h>

	I would bet my little toe that the modem is simply a Hayes
compatible external modem. (In fact, I'd almost be willing to bet my
little toe that -ALL- external modems sold today to the general public
at least claim to be Hayes Compatible).

	And since modems are modems, you can connect & use 'em with
whatever computer you want.

	So how about betting me 2 to 1 that the modem will work with
the GS??  if it doesn't, I'll pay for the modem.. if it does, you pay
me twice what the modem cost??  just kidding.

	Plus, it's an Apple product, which most likely means it was
designed to work with both Macs & GSes.

hey... I've gotten little sleep this week (w/a new job & finals and all)...
so excuse my sarcasm.
--
/unknown@ucscb.ucsc.edu       Apple IIGS Forever!        unknown@cats.ucsc.edu\
|WANT to help get ULTIMA VI //e or GS written?-mail me. CHEAP CD info-mail me.|

warren.e@pro-beagle.cts.com (Warren Ernst) (06/10/91)

Apple personal modem and the GS?
No problem. They were made for each other. But I'm not sure what you mean
by "A song". New 1200 baud modems are DRIT CHEAP, and they will have a
warrenty, and probably more features. Apple Modems are not known for their
plethora of features.

And new 2400 baud modem can be had mail order for about $100. My supra
Modem kicks ass, I recommend it wholeheartedly, but I guess that's off the
subject a little bit.
/===============================++========================================\
| Warren Ernst                  || & This is called an ampersand.         |
|  warren.e@pro-Beagle.cts.com  || @ This is called an at sign.           |
|  wernst@ucsd.edu              || * This is called an asterisk.          |
|                     GEnie too || ] This is called a square bracket.     |
+-------------------------------+| ) This is called a parenthesis.        |
|1HOME:INVERSE2X=RND(1)*24+1:VTA|| # This is called a pound sign.         |
|BX:HTABX:?X;:HTAB26-X:?X;:GOTO2|| ^ This is called a little pointy thing.|

PYC121@URIACC.URI.EDU (Andy Kress) (06/11/91)

   I just picked up a Hayes Personal modem.  No features to speak of but it
 was onlf $35.  2400 baud too.  Not bad....seems Highland Superstores are
 going under and they have been selling stuff dirt cheap.

                                       Andy Kress
                                       PYC121 AT URIACC.URI.EDU

             Apple II:  The power to take over the world!