[comp.sys.apple2] TrueType font support for the GS

hackett@gaul.csd.uwo.caMike Hackett (06/01/91)

Excerpt from the latest VAPORWARE column:

>Windows 3.1.
>The major new feature will be TrueType outline technology.
                               ^^^^^^^^!!!!!!

   OK that does it.  Can anyone tell me where I can get the specs. for the
TrueType format?  If no one else is working on it, then I'd sure like to
make a go at making a GS tool to support it.  I see that the System 7 fonts
are available on ftp.apple.com, so I've got some test data.  I assume that
Apple would have no complaints about this (except that it might show up the
Mac).  Anyone else interested in working on this project (again, if no one
else is already working on it), I would be pleased to hear from you.

Mike Hackett
University of Western Ontario

taob@micor.ocunix.on.ca (Brian Tao) (06/01/91)

hackett@gaul.csd.uwo.caMike Hackett writes:

>    OK that does it.  Can anyone tell me where I can get the specs. for the
> TrueType format?  If no one else is working on it, then I'd sure like to
> make a go at making a GS tool to support it.  I see that the System 7 fonts
> are available on ftp.apple.com, so I've got some test data.  I assume that
> Apple would have no complaints about this (except that it might show up the
> Mac).  Anyone else interested in working on this project (again, if no one
> else is already working on it), I would be pleased to hear from you.

    I haven't heard of anyone trying to write TrueType compilers for the GS,
but by all means, go for it!  You will probably have to do some serious
patching to the Font Manager and QuickDraw II.  I won't be able to help
write it, but count me in as a beta tester!  :)  Maybe we can get a
StyleWriter driver out of your project...

--
Brian T. Tao   *B-)  |  taob@micor.ocunix.on.ca  |  "Though this be
2705-1510 Riverside  |           - or -          |   madness, yet there

ericmcg@pnet91.cts.com (Eric Mcgillicuddy) (06/02/91)

>   OK that does it.  Can anyone tell me where I can get the specs. for the
>TrueType format?  If no one else is working on it, then I'd sure like to
>make a go at making a GS tool to support it.  I see that the System 7 fonts
>
>Mike Hackett
>University of Western Ontario

I picked up the specs from APDA a few months ago, PArt # M0825LL/A. Only 300
pages to analyse before you get started.  :)

Vitesse is rumoured to be working on outline fonts products, but I am not sure
if they are TrueType or Adobe. (or both?  :)  Personally I think TrueType
would be better for the GS, I understand that it is less processor intensive.

UUCP: bkj386!pnet91!ericmcg
INET: ericmcg@pnet91.cts.com

lhaider@pro-nbs.cts.com (Laer Haider) (06/04/91)

>   OK that does it.  Can anyone tell me where I can get the specs. for the
>TrueType format?  If no one else is working on it, then I'd sure like to
>make a go at making a GS tool to support it.  I see that the System 7 fonts
>are available on ftp.apple.com, so I've got some test data.  I assume that
>Apple would have no complaints about this (except that it might show up the
>Mac).  Anyone else interested in working on this project (again, if no one
>else is already working on it), I would be pleased to hear from you.

Apple will only have complaints if you happen to implement it well.
TrueType was jointly developed by Apple and Microsoft and is copy-
righted by both companies, so you might want to look into the legal
aspects of using their work before releasing your work.

About TrueType showing up on a Mac, it has.  That's what Apple has
been working for.  If you compete against the Mac on Apple's bastard
step-child computer (the Apple II series), you can expect to hear
from part of Apple's lawyer gastapo force.  Check with Andy, Matt and/
or Dave before venturing too far.

                /    _______________________________________________
 \             / /   ProLine:  pro-nbs!lhaider
  \\\' ,      / //      INET:  lhaider@pro-nbs.cts.com
   \\\//,   _/ //,      UUCP:  crash!pro-nbs!lhaider
    \_-//' /  //<,      ARPA:  crash!pro-nbs!lhaider@nosc.mil
      \ ///  <//`     BITNET:  lhaider%pro-nbs.cts.com@nosc.mil
      /  >>  \\\`__/_
     /,)-^>>\` , \\\   The opinions express here are just opinions.
     (/   \\ /\\\      Don't have a cow man!
         // _//\\\\   -----------------------------------------------
       ((` ((

dlyons@Apple.COM (David A Lyons) (06/05/91)

In article <3794.apple.a2.net@pro-nbs> lhaider@pro-nbs.cts.com (Laer Haider) writes:
[About TrueType on the GS]
>[...]
>About TrueType showing up on a Mac, it has.  That's what Apple has
>been working for.  If you compete against the Mac on Apple's bastard
>step-child computer (the Apple II series), you can expect to hear
>from part of Apple's lawyer gastapo force.

I do not know the legal status of the TrueType data format; maybe that
is made clear in the APDA document someone mentioned.

If there are no legal problems, then more power to you.  If you can
make it work on the GS, that's great.

However, a TrueType engine will be computationally intensive, and I will
be very surprised if it can be done at a practical speed on the GS.  More
likely you would want a separate utility to pre-create bit-mapped fonts
in all the sizes you're going to want.

There is no anti-Apple-II-gestapo-lawyer-force.  That's silly.
--
David A. Lyons, Apple Computer, Inc.      |   DAL Systems
Apple II System Software Engineer         |   P.O. Box 875

My opinions are my own, not Apple's.

ericmcg@pnet91.cts.com (Eric Mcgillicuddy) (06/06/91)

There is no law against writing your own interpreter for TrueType, anymore
than there is for writing a Postscript interpreter, a language can not be
copyrighted.

UUCP: bkj386!pnet91!ericmcg
INET: ericmcg@pnet91.cts.com

geniusman@pro-hindugods.cts.com (Chris Moylan) (06/06/91)

>However, a TrueType engine will be computationally intensive, and I will
>be very surprised if it can be done at a practical speed on the GS.  More
>likely you would want a separate utility to pre-create bit-mapped fonts
>in all the sizes you're going to want.

If it can be done under System 7.0 on a Mac Plus, it can be done on a GS.

Chris Moylan                    | ProLine: geniusman@pro-hindugods
CoSysop: Hindu Love Gods BBS    | Internet: geniusman@pro-hindugods.cts.com
313/644-0481                    | UUCP: crash!pro-hindugods!geniusman
300-9600 bps, v.32/v.42/v.42bis | ARPA: crash!pro-hindugods!geniusman@nosc.mil

sb@pnet91.cts.com (Stephen Brown) (06/07/91)

dlyons@Apple.COM (David A Lyons) writes:
>In article <3794.apple.a2.net@pro-nbs> lhaider@pro-nbs.cts.com (Laer Haider) writes:
>[About TrueType on the GS]
>>[...]
>>About TrueType showing up on a Mac, it has.  That's what Apple has
>>been working for.  If you compete against the Mac on Apple's bastard
>>step-child computer (the Apple II series), you can expect to hear
>>from part of Apple's lawyer gastapo force.
>
>I do not know the legal status of the TrueType data format; maybe that
>is made clear in the APDA document someone mentioned.
>
>If there are no legal problems, then more power to you.  If you can
>make it work on the GS, that's great.
>
>However, a TrueType engine will be computationally intensive, and I will
>be very surprised if it can be done at a practical speed on the GS.  More
>likely you would want a separate utility to pre-create bit-mapped fonts
>in all the sizes you're going to want.

[cut here....]

When I use the Harmonie drivers at 300 dpi (assuming I don't run out of memory
during the rendering) it takes about 15 minutes per page (ROM 01, SyQuest HD,
Apple HS SCSI, Grappler+, Roland 24pin printer). TrueType gives the same sort
of resolution. If TrueType were available AND it gave comparable or superior
results AND the printing time was about the same, I'd at least try it.

Do you call 15 minutes per page 'practical speed'? I don't. The hardware must
be improved.

...that is _not_ a flame on you Dave, so please don't interpret it that way...
it's just the result of printing a page and finding a teensy-weensy (but
significant) error, requiring the page to be reprinted.

| Stephen Brown                           Toronto, Canada |
| Internet: sb@pnet91.cts.com      UUCP: utzoo!pnet91!sb  |
| Apple II Forever !!!                                    |
| Like my new .signature. ?    Too bad.                   |

dlyons@Apple.COM (David A Lyons) (06/11/91)

In article <822@generic.UUCP> sb@pnet91.cts.com (Stephen Brown) writes:
>dlyons@Apple.COM (David A Lyons) writes:
>>[...] a TrueType engine will be computationally intensive, and I will
>>be very surprised if it can be done at a practical speed on the GS.  More
>>likely you would want a separate utility to pre-create bit-mapped fonts
>>in all the sizes you're going to want.
>
>When I use the Harmonie drivers at 300 dpi (assuming I don't run out of memory
>during the rendering) it takes about 15 minutes per page (ROM 01, SyQuest HD,
>Apple HS SCSI, Grappler+, Roland 24pin printer). TrueType gives the same sort
>of resolution. If TrueType were available AND it gave comparable or superior
>results AND the printing time was about the same, I'd at least try it.
>
>Do you call 15 minutes per page 'practical speed'? I don't. The hardware must
>be improved.
>
>...that is _not_ a flame on you Dave, so please don't interpret it that way...
>it's just the result of printing a page and finding a teensy-weensy (but
>significant) error, requiring the page to be reprinted.

15 minutes a page is not my idea of fun, no.  But I think I am missing your
point.  Seems to me TrueType would be even slower.  If you're doing much
300dpi printing, a TWGS or Zip might be well worth the investment (unless
you're already using one?).