[comp.sys.apple2] PostScript from AWGS

Bill_Dickson@QMRELAY.MAIL.CORNELL.EDU (Bill Dickson) (06/07/91)

Subject:   PostScript from AWGS
Greetings,

     After seeing the previous posts on this subject, I went home and tried it
out on a resume.  I typed it up, and followed the instructions, and sure enough
I got a postscript file.
     I then went to transfer it to my Mac at work.  I tried this in three ways:
     1)  I used Apple File Exchange default translation from ProDOS to Mac.
     2)  I used AFE again, only set to text transfer with the option box about
control character translation set to "neither."
     3)  I uploaded the file to a VAX using Kermit, then used trivial FTP to
transfer it to my Mac.

     All of the files came out with (very) slightly different sizes, but it
didn't seem to make a difference, because when I send them to a LaserWriter
with SendPS 2.0, they all came out exactly the same way.  The formatting was
all perfect, all the bold and underlined text came out properly.....but the
font was changed from Palatino to Courier, except in the first four lines
(centered, bold text) and one other line (the other bold text).  The printer
message box told me, as it was printing, "cannot find Palatino; substituting
Courier."  Obviously, it *does* have Palatino, as it printed the first four
lines properly.  Also, when I dumped a different postscript file, created with
MSWord 4.0, it printed properly in Palatino.

On a whim, I pulled the resume PS file into an editor and did a search and
replace, changing Palatino to Times.  Same exact problem, the bold text came
out in Times, all the rest in courier.

Does anybody have any ideas about what could be wrong?  All help appreciated.

Bill

William R. Dickson                        |Barry/Quayle in '92
Cornell Information Technologies/MOS      |"Just what we need -- two
Either: WRDJ@CRNLVAX5                     | white guys in their mid-
Or: Bill_Dickson@QMRelay.Mail.Cornell.Edu | forties."
I'm not even sure of my own opinions, let alone my employer's.

jasonp@oakhill.sps.mot.com (Jason Perez) (06/07/91)

In article <9106062006.AA23055@apple.com> Bill_Dickson@QMRELAY.MAIL.CORNELL.EDU (Bill Dickson) writes:
>Subject:   PostScript from AWGS
>Greetings,
         [stuff cut]

>font was changed from Palatino to Courier, except in the first four lines
>(centered, bold text) and one other line (the other bold text).  The printer
>message box told me, as it was printing, "cannot find Palatino; substituting
>Courier."  Obviously, it *does* have Palatino, as it printed the first four
>lines properly.  Also, when I dumped a different postscript file, created with
>MSWord 4.0, it printed properly in Palatino.
>
>Does anybody have any ideas about what could be wrong?  All help appreciated.
>
>Bill

The problem here is that the font names created on the GS do NOT correspond
correctly (for the most part) to the font names on the LaserWriter.  I spent
lots of time editing my PS files and changing the names, then figured out
a better way and wrote a sed script that will change the GS fonts to the
correct LW fonts (if available).  I don't have ftp access right now, but I
put it on tiberius and I think apple2.archive last month.  It's called gs2mac.bsq
and the allowed LW fonts are included in the file.  You'll need either ORCA or
some machine that will run sed.  Hope this helps!

Jason Perez
Hi-End Design
Motorola - Austin, TX

DELANEYG@WM6.WL.AECL.CA (06/07/91)

The gs has one BIG problem with postscript.  It puts a font name on in the
PS file that the printer does not know.  I have a program (from Orca Shell)
rather a command shell that will change the names.  I'll post it to brown and
put it up on Tybault and Umich this weekend.

I think the the real solution would be to go into you font files and change all
the names to correspond to those used on Laser printers but finding the time
is the problem.  Perhaps system 6 will take care of the ????????

Anyways look for the utility later this weekend i'll call it PSFontName.BSQ.

Grant Delaney

WRDJ@VAX5.CIT.CORNELL.EDU ("In a night without day, on a road without end.") (06/08/91)

Unfortunately, I couldn't locate Jason Perez's address in the answer he sent.

Jason:  What is sed?  Is there an easy way to modify my driver?  Or could you
perhaps just pack your modified driver and ship it over to me?

I'm curious about this problem...does this mean that people who own postscript
printers connected to GS's are unable to print properly?

Bill D.

wrdj@crnlvax5.bitnet

In article <455F389FC0204A1A@crl.aecl.ca> DELANEYG@WM6.WL.AECL.CA writes:
>The gs has one BIG problem with postscript.  It puts a font name on in the
>PS file that the printer does not know.

This is getting a tad out of hand.  We go through this every now and then,
and it looks like "now" again.

The IIgs LaserWriter driver does not download PostScript fonts, nor does it
know how to map screen fonts to PostScript fonts that it doesn't have hard-
coded.  Why not?  Because all the mapping information used by the Macintosh
LaserWriter driver is held in the font family description resource (the
infamous FOND).  The IIgs has no analog to the FOND resource, and it certainly
has no information intrinsic to any font that would include PostScript
font name mapping information.

So, the LaserWriter driver guesses.  It knows exactly the names for all the
fonts (and their stylistic variations) built into the LaserWriters from Apple
(through the LaserWriter IINT, at least) and it guesses at the stylistic
suffixes for other fonts.  If it doesn't find the PostScript font in the
printer with the guessed name, it sends a bitmap font.

Apple IIgs Technical Note #67 details all of this, and has for nearly two
years.

The "Palatino" problem is something different -- I'm not really sure what's
happening here.  The IIgs LW driver is supposed to have "Palatino-Roman" built
in for the plain style, but maybe it has "Palatino" instead for some reason
(maybe the PostScript font name changed at some point).  I'll try to remember
to look into it when I get a chance.
Matt Deatherage, Developer Technical  | The opinions expressed herein are
Support, Apple Computer, Inc.         | not those of Apple Computer, and
Personal mail only, please.  Thanks.  | shame on you for thinking otherwise.
^^^^^^^^ Technical questions are not personal. Please post them instead.

PYC121@URIACC.URI.EDU (Andy Kress) (06/11/91)

    About all these messages about the GS PS driver putting the wrong
 font names in the PS file.

      Ive done this many time with no problems at all.  I dont have to
 touch the file and it comes out perfect everytime.  I dont understand
 what you all are moaning about.  Such is life I suppose.

                                       Andy Kress
                                       PYC121 AT URIACC.URI.EDU

             Apple II:  The power to take over the world!