[comp.sys.apple2] What mem.chips go in the ZIP cache?

giovin@medr3.ecs.umass.edu (Rocky J Giovinazzo) (06/11/91)

Could someone with a ZIP please tell me exactly what chips are in his/her
cache?  I can see from the A+/Incider advertisement that "MOSEL
MS6264AL-70PC 8910K" are used in a pair apparently for an 8k cache.
I am especially interested in what chips can be used to form a 32k or
64k cache.

Thanks,
Rocky

toddpw@nntp-server.caltech.edu (Todd P. Whitesel) (06/11/91)

giovin@medr3.ecs.umass.edu (Rocky J Giovinazzo) writes:

>Could someone with a ZIP please tell me exactly what chips are in his/her
>cache?  I can see from the A+/Incider advertisement that "MOSEL
>MS6264AL-70PC 8910K" are used in a pair apparently for an 8k cache.
>I am especially interested in what chips can be used to form a 32k or
>64k cache.

The important numbers in the about are the 6264 (means 8K SRAM) and the 70
(means 70ns access time). To get a 16K cache configuration you buy two more
chips and plug them in (don't forget to set the DIP switches).

For 32K or 64K configurations, the number is 62256 (32K SRAM). Getting these
faster than 100 ns (which is OK for 8 mhz CPUs) is not easy. You might be able
to find 80 ns chips in a mail order catalog.

BTW, you can call ZIP tech support and they will tell you what kind of chips
to get (watch out though, they are really patronizing until you convince them
you are a techie -- their default phone manner is the product of years of
trying to satisfy hordes of ungrateful clueless people).

Todd Whitesel
toddpw @ tybalt.caltech.edu

ericmcg@pnet91.cts.com (Eric Mcgillicuddy) (06/12/91)

I used MOSEL 62256-70PC when I boosted my cache to 64k. After setting the
proper switches the worked was working fine, but then a couple days later it
became quirky. I have since removed the chips and replaced the old ones, no
harm done.

any 70ns 32kx8 static RAM chips should do, but check the pin outs from a spec
sheet of the 6264 first to make sure.

UUCP: bkj386!pnet91!ericmcg
INET: ericmcg@pnet91.cts.com

petroski@mwunix.mitre.org (Frank Petroski) (06/12/91)

toddpw@nntp-server.caltech.edu (Todd P. Whitesel) writes:

>giovin@medr3.ecs.umass.edu (Rocky J Giovinazzo) writes:

>>Could someone with a ZIP please tell me exactly what chips are in his/her
>>cache?  I can see from the A+/Incider advertisement that "MOSEL
>>MS6264AL-70PC 8910K" are used in a pair apparently for an 8k cache.
>>I am especially interested in what chips can be used to form a 32k or
>>64k cache.

>The important numbers in the about are the 6264 (means 8K SRAM) and the 70
>(means 70ns access time). To get a 16K cache configuration you buy two more
>chips and plug them in (don't forget to set the DIP switches).

>For 32K or 64K configurations, the number is 62256 (32K SRAM). Getting these
>faster than 100 ns (which is OK for 8 mhz CPUs) is not easy. You might be able
>to find 80 ns chips in a mail order catalog.

>  ... more stuff about patronizing zip helpers

I take it one must yank out the 8K SRAMS and replace them with the 32K SRAMS?

toddpw@nntp-server.caltech.edu (Todd P. Whitesel) (06/12/91)

petroski@mwunix.mitre.org (Frank Petroski) writes:

>I take it one must yank out the 8K SRAMS and replace them with the 32K SRAMS?

Yep. Mixing chip sizes won't work, as the cache size must be a power of 2.

Todd Whitesel
toddpw @ tybalt.caltech.edu