[comp.sys.apple2] Ultima 6

lbotez@pro-sol.cts.com (Lynda Botez) (06/07/90)

Todd Whitesel writes:

>I'd rather see a GS specific version too.  When is Origin or Sierra (both
>appear to be hurting for good //A programmers) going to hire Brian
>Greenstone?

Yeah, that's what I'd like to know.  Why isn't Brian Greenstone working for
some hot game software company, instead of having to grovel trying to publish
his wonderful stuff and getting nowhere?

Well, the answer seems to be that no software company is that interesting in
publishing (or writing, for that matter) games for the Apple IIGS right now.

The fact that someone as good a Brian isn't working somewhere writing
incredible things for our machine goes to show you what a sorry state things
are in the Apple II world.  It doesn't fare too much better for other talented
65816 programmers either.  Most of the jobs that are out there are for working
on Nintendo games, not Apple II stuff.  Dispicable, if you ask me....

As I recall, Brian actually interviewed at Origin and they told him he'd have
to program on another machine (or was it Nintendo, I can't remember).  Now
Nintendo; there's a *real* challenge.  [sarcasm here]

Lynda

georgeb@seer.UUCP (George Bako) (05/27/91)

  Please answer HONESTLY!!  How many of you, who WANT Ultima 6 to
be made for the Apple //, have sent letters to Origin?

  I have already sent THREE of them, but three is nothing.  All you
guys have to send letters too!  Even if you don't want this game
, since YOU have an Apple also, wouldn't you like to see a
brand new game on the shelf for your Apple at your local computer
software dealer?  Wouldn't it be something that you haven't seen
happening for a while now?

  Well, if the excuse is that you don't know the address, well its
not an excuse no more!!!  Here is the address!

Apple ULTIMA Comments
ORIGIN P.O. Box 161750
Austin, TX  78716

   So please send 'em a letter and tell them that it IS worth it
to invest the money to create this game, because there are many
Apple owners out there who would be happy to dish out the average
(and outragous!) price of $50 for the game.  Even I, who doesn't
think software is worth $50, would pay that much for this game.

   So send 'em a letter!!!!!  And think of all the reasons that
they would decide not to make the game, and figure out a reason
that counterattacks what they think!!!!

--
=======================================//         I didn't do it,
 UUCP: georgeb@seer.mystic.com        //     nobody saw me do it,   -- Bart

ryanb@pro-charlotte.cts.com (Ryan Baucom) (05/29/91)

I have sent a letter to Origin... in fact it was almost a year ago.   They
sent me back a formletter which they had apparently prepared for unhappy
Apple users.  It gave the usual speech on Origin's commitment to excellence
and all, and it explained that the game was developed on and designed for
IBM, hard-disk-based, 320x200x256 graphics.  It would seem that all of
Origin's new releases are designed for this platform, judging by Wing
Commander and other new Origin products.

ProLine:  ryanb@pro-charlotte           \_  this fall: rjbaucom@eos.ncsu.edu
UUCP:     crash!pro-charlotte!ryanb       \_  "I've suffered for my music...
Internet: ryanb@pro-charlotte.cts.com       \_  now it's your turn!"
ARPA:     crash!pro-charlotte!ryanb@nosc.mil  \               -Neil Innes

ericmcg@pnet91.cts.com (Eric Mcgillicuddy) (05/30/91)

>Apple users.  It gave the usual speech on Origin's commitment to excellence
>and all, and it explained that the game was developed on and designed for
>IBM, hard-disk-based, 320x200x256 graphics.  It would seem that all of
>Origin's new releases are designed for this platform, judging by Wing
>Commander and other new Origin products.
>
>ProLine:  ryanb@pro-charlotte           \_  this fall: rjbaucom@eos.ncsu.edu

Originally, Lord British said that he was amazed at how much more he could do
with 640k of memory (previously he had not even used 128k machines) and that
was why he was doing the IBM version only, couldn't get it into 64k. I suppose
someone mentioned to him that the average Apple IIGS had a little under twice
that and that he could do even better with a Meg and a bit. A year ago Origin
threw down the gauntlet (not Gauntlet GS BTW) and asked if there was anyone
willing to program the GS version for no money up front, no guarantee of
return and only one in which to produce the finished version. I guess someone
took them up on it, judging by the rummours that an Apple II version (of some
sort) was in the works. Origin has officially quashed those rumours and there
will be no Ultima 6 for the Apple II (despite Programs Plus saying that it was
due out this summer, I called them about in March since they were advertising
it at the time).

My opinion is that the project was cancelled due to unforeseen bugs and the
probablity of not making very much money on the project. I seriously doubt
that it had anything to do with memory or 256 colour mode VGA, the graphics of
Ultima 6 are not particularly good on the IBM and the GS is more than capable
of equivalent quality with 16 colours.

UUCP: bkj386!pnet91!ericmcg
INET: ericmcg@pnet91.cts.com

SRPDBRS@trev.dsir.govt.nz (06/04/91)

I sent them a letter and can only assume they've got too big to remember
	why they got big (!!) . Not even a 'your views have been noted'
	letter did i get in return !! - and i get those from politicians!

Come on ORIGIN , get your act together.

	Bruce Sinclair

In article <871@seer.UUCP>, georgeb@seer.UUCP (George Bako) writes:
>   Please answer HONESTLY!!  How many of you, who WANT Ultima 6 to
> be made for the Apple //, have sent letters to Origin?
>
>   I have already sent THREE of them, but three is nothing.  All you
> guys have to send letters too!  Even if you don't want this game
> , since YOU have an Apple also, wouldn't you like to see a
> brand new game on the shelf for your Apple at your local computer
> software dealer?  Wouldn't it be something that you haven't seen
> happening for a while now?
>
>   Well, if the excuse is that you don't know the address, well its
> not an excuse no more!!!  Here is the address!
>
> Apple ULTIMA Comments
> ORIGIN P.O. Box 161750
> Austin, TX  78716
>
>    So please send 'em a letter and tell them that it IS worth it
> to invest the money to create this game, because there are many
> Apple owners out there who would be happy to dish out the average
> (and outragous!) price of $50 for the game.  Even I, who doesn't
> think software is worth $50, would pay that much for this game.
>
>    So send 'em a letter!!!!!  And think of all the reasons that
> they would decide not to make the game, and figure out a reason
> that counterattacks what they think!!!!
>

> --
> =======================================//         I didn't do it,
>  UUCP: georgeb@seer.mystic.com        //     nobody saw me do it,   -- Bart
>    or: uunet!unisoft!seer!georgeb    // you can't prove anything!     Simpson
>  CompuServe: 71160,1344             //========================================

andy@pro-palmtree.cts.com (Andy Stein) (06/12/91)

    Gee, they get so many complaints that they have a department
specifically for Apple II Ultima VI requests? :)

lazer@lablues.UUCP (Patrick Delahanty) (06/12/91)

> In article <871@seer.UUCP>, georgeb@seer.UUCP (George Bako) writes:
> > Apple ULTIMA Comments
> > ORIGIN P.O. Box 161750
> > Austin, TX  78716

WAIT A SECOND HERE!   DON'T write "Apple ULTIMA Comments" on the envelope.
We want them to open it don't we?  Just send it to Origin and don't let them
know it's Apple comments until they start reading it.

Make sure you DO write.  They've made a Commie 64 version!  We need a
version!!!

-Lazer