[comp.sys.apple2] TrueType on GS and PostScript problem on AWGS

WRDJ@VAX5.CIT.CORNELL.EDU ("In a night without day, on a road without end.") (06/08/91)

Hi there,

     First of all, I solved my PostScript problem (described yesterday)!  It
seems that the GS LaserWriter driver, when describing the Palatino font, calls
it (not unreasonably) "Palatino".  HOWEVER, the LaserWriter's postscript font
menu calls it "Palatino-Roman"!  You can see where the problem arises.... and
why "Palatino-Bold" printed correctly!  So a little judicious editing, and it
came out just fine.  Nice to know; I can now laser-print all my AWGS stuff
without buying a printer!

     Second:  Lots of fun discussion about TrueType on the GS has been going on.
Personally, I'd love to see it, but I'm also concerned about the speed.  The
printing speed I'm not *too* concerned about, I've pretty much resigned myself
to slow printing.  But TrueType is also used for display (improving WYSIWYG by
a great deal), so all that computation would have to be done while scrolling,
redrawing, etc.  This is where I assumed there'd be a major problem.  I'd love
to have TrueType, but I'd hate to have it completely negate the benefits of my
Zip (whenever it arrives...)

     I'd like to hear more, though...

Bill D.

hackett@obelix.gaul.csd.uwo.ca (MICHAEL HACKETT) (06/08/91)

In article <63B24CBB8AFF603C72@vax5.cit.cornell.edu> WRDJ@VAX5.CIT.CORNELL.EDU ("In a night without day, on a road without end.") writes:

>     Second:  Lots of fun discussion about TrueType on the GS has been going on.
>Personally, I'd love to see it, but I'm also concerned about the speed.  The
>printing speed I'm not *too* concerned about, I've pretty much resigned myself
>to slow printing.  But TrueType is also used for display (improving WYSIWYG by
>a great deal), so all that computation would have to be done while scrolling,
>redrawing, etc.  This is where I assumed there'd be a major problem.  I'd love
>to have TrueType, but I'd hate to have it completely negate the benefits of my
>Zip (whenever it arrives...)
>
>     I'd like to hear more, though...
>
>Bill D.

    My plan was to do just what the font manager does now when it tries to
load a new font.  If it can't find a bitmap of the appropriate size, it
tries to scale another bitmap to the required size.  Instead of doing this,
I'd like to have it get the outline and render the bitmap for the entire
font at this time.  Thus, apart from this initial delay, the system will run
no slower than it does now.  The main problem right now, as mentioned in
earlier posts, is that the Font Manager, at this time, will not accept
bitmaps that are larger than 32K.  This would not likely be a problem for
screen fonts, but when printing, larger font sizes are needed.

In article <3300@ria.ccs.uwo.ca> hackett@obelix.gaul.csd.uwo.ca (MICHAEL HACKETT) writes:
>The main problem right now, as mentioned in
>earlier posts, is that the Font Manager, at this time, will not accept
>bitmaps that are larger than 32K.  This would not likely be a problem for
>screen fonts, but when printing, larger font sizes are needed.

This is untrue.  Starting with 5.0, the Font Manager can deal with any font
size (up to, theoretically, 16 MB).  The limitation now is that font sizes
are bytes, so you can't go bigger than 255 "points."

5.0.x does have a Font Manager bug where the Font Manager can't _load_ a
font _file_ that's bigger than _64K_ (wow, three underlines in one sentence),
but that's an entirely different animal.  If you can build a font larger than
64K in memory, the Font Manager and QuickDraw will be happy to use it.
Matt Deatherage, Developer Technical  | The opinions expressed herein are
Support, Apple Computer, Inc.         | not those of Apple Computer, and
Personal mail only, please.  Thanks.  | shame on you for thinking otherwise.
^^^^^^^^ Technical questions are not personal. Please post them instead.

dlyons@Apple.COM (David A Lyons) (06/11/91)

In article <53809@apple.Apple.COM> mattd@Apple.COM (Matt Deatherage) writes:
>[...]  Starting with 5.0, the Font Manager can deal with any font
>size (up to, theoretically, 16 MB).  The limitation now is that font sizes
>are bytes, so you can't go bigger than 255 "points."

You may hit the limit on the width of the font strike first...I believe it
is 32K, but I don't remember if that's bytes or pixels.

>5.0.x does have a Font Manager bug where the Font Manager can't _load_ a
>font _file_ that's bigger than _64K_ [...] If you can build a font larger
>than 64K in memory, the Font Manager and QuickDraw will be happy to use it.

In 5.0.x the Font Manager assumes font files are smaller than 64K; this is
a limitation rather than a bug.

Once you have a >64K font in memory and have told the Font Manager about
it, be careful.  The 5.0.x Font Manager will hang or crash trying to
re-scale a font with an owTLoc value of $xx8000 to $xxFFFF.  Yes, *this*
is a bug.  As long as your using the exact point size you have available,
there's no problem, since the FM won't have to do scaling.  Otherwise,
be careful.
--
David A. Lyons, Apple Computer, Inc.      |   DAL Systems
Apple II System Software Engineer         |   P.O. Box 875

My opinions are my own, not Apple's.

In article <53863@apple.Apple.COM> dlyons@Apple.COM (David A Lyons) writes:
>In article <53809@apple.Apple.COM> mattd@Apple.COM (Matt Deatherage) writes:
>>[...]  Starting with 5.0, the Font Manager can deal with any font
>>size (up to, theoretically, 16 MB).  The limitation now is that font sizes
>>are bytes, so you can't go bigger than 255 "points."
>
>You may hit the limit on the width of the font strike first...I believe it
>is 32K, but I don't remember if that's bytes or pixels.

As long as Dave and I are clarifying each other, I'll take another stab at
this.

When he says the limit on the width of the font strike is 32K, he's right...
but that's the _width_ of the font strike, not the total size.  The font
strike is the 1 bit per pixel image of all the font's characters drawn in a
row with no pixels between them.  Kind of like the font laid end to end as a
banner, so to speak.  _That_ can't be wider than 32K, giving an effective
maximum size of 32K * however many scan lines are in the font's height.