[comp.sys.apple2] ProLine vs GBBS

bbarba@pro-torii.cts.com (Bob Barba) (06/01/91)

<stuff about GBBS deleted>

> As far as networking goes, it is very easy to set up networking modules for
> GBBS (take a look at Ogg-Net, a 30 system network, hubbed across the US.)
> It may not have Internet support, but creating support for it would be very
> easy for a decent ACOS programmer.  Pro-Line may have a better installed
> base for Networking, but it is not the ONLY networking Apple II software.

A 30 site network!!  c'mon now Pro-Line offers almost 90 PRO-LINE sites! not
just "hubbed across the US." like Ugg-Net, but around the world!! with actual
Pro-Line sites in Austraila, Germany and Japan. These 90 sites do not include
the UUCP, BITNET, ARPA, INTERNET, FIDO, or People-Net gateways.
I have also had the BEST support from Morgan Davis (author) and my fellow
Pro-Line Sysops from around the world.  I don't think I could have found a
better home than Pro-Line!!

----
ProLine:  bbarba@pro-torii                         | Pro-Torii (Iwakuni, Japan)
Internet: bbarba@pro-torii.cts.com                 | 011-81-611-753-4846
UUCP:     crash!pro-torii!bbarba                   | Hrs: 8pm - 5am Mon-Thr
Mail: Bob Barba, PO Box 139  FPO Seattle, Wa 98764 |      8pm Fri - 5am Mon

greg@hoss.unl.edu (Lig Lury Jr.) (06/01/91)

bbarba@pro-torii.cts.com (Bob Barba) writes:

Why do ProLine sites use that ugly "In-Reply-To: message from *" stuff?
C'mon, conform! :-)

{"Let's repeat the non-conformist's oath:  I promise to be different."
 "I promise to be different."
 "I promise to be unique."
 "I promise to be unique."
 "I promise not to repeat things other people say."
 "I promi..."
 "Good!"
    -- Steve Martin and the audience}

><stuff about GBBS deleted>

>>As far as networking goes, it is very easy to set up networking modules for
>>GBBS (take a look at Ogg-Net, a 30 system network, hubbed across the US.)
>>It may not have Internet support, but creating support for it would be very
>>easy for a decent ACOS programmer.  Pro-Line may have a better installed
>>base for Networking, but it is not the ONLY networking Apple II software.

>A 30 site network!!  c'mon now Pro-Line offers almost 90 PRO-LINE sites! not
>just "hubbed across the US." like Ugg-Net,

Since you aren't in the US, please restrain such comments like "Ugg-Net"
until you've used it.

>but around the world!! with actual
>Pro-Line sites in Austraila, Germany and Japan. These 90 sites do not include
>the UUCP, BITNET, ARPA, INTERNET, FIDO, or People-Net gateways.

Now c'mon, you have to take into account that since they are using ACOS
that the majority couldn't afford ProLine, and thus fewer are willing to
spend money in long distance bills to connect to all these places.  Age is
another consideration.  Who are the lucky nodes putting the bills to send
these messages overseas, and have they met Ed McMahan and/or Robin Leach?

>I have also had the BEST support from Morgan Davis (author) and my fellow
>Pro-Line Sysops from around the world.  I don't think I could have found a
>better home than Pro-Line!!

More unnecessary bloat then.  When will people realize that from bigger,
better is not the automatic path?

--
///   ____   \\\ "The major problem--one of the major problems, for there are
| |/ /    \ \| |       several--one of the many major problems with governing
 \\_|\____/|_//            people is of whom you get to do it, or more to the
greg \_\\\/ hoss.unl.edu    point, who gets people to let them do it to them."

bbarba@pro-torii.cts.com (Bob Barba) (06/02/91)

> Why do ProLine sites use that ugly "In-Reply-To: message from *" stuff?
> C'mon, conform! :-)

It's not Pro-Line try the Pro-Line Host CRASH!

>>A 30 site network!!  c'mon now Pro-Line offers almost 90 PRO-LINE sites! not
>>just "hubbed across the US." like Ugg-Net,

>Since you aren't in the US, please restrain such comments like "Ugg-Net"
>until you've used it.

Point taken...

>Now c'mon, you have to take into account that since they are using ACOS
>that the majority couldn't afford ProLine, and thus fewer are willing to
>spend money in long distance bills to connect to all these places.  Age is
>another consideration.  Who are the lucky nodes putting the bills to send
>these messages overseas, and have they met Ed McMahan and/or Robin Leach?

What do you mean, "could not afford Pro-Line"??  Buying direct from any
manufacturer will be more expensive.  Programs Plus offers Pro-Line for $95.
Connectivity for Pro-Line is usually local or rigional on the outside.  As
for me,  I call San Diego nightly! and no I don't know Ed McMahon, or Robin
Leach.  I happen to be a U.S. Marine.  If I can afford to make these calls
surly you can too!   I admit I was running a PIRATE GBBS board, till the
guilt set in.  Now  I am running SUPPORTED software, your wrong in
saying that age is a  consideration, it should be maturity!  (I wonder
how many  PIRATE GBBS boards are still running? and complaining about
non-support etc??)

>>I have also had the BEST support from Morgan Davis (author) and my fellow
>>Pro-Line Sysops from around the world.  I don't think I could have found a
>>better home than Pro-Line!!

>More unnecessary bloat then.  When will people realize that from bigger,
>better is not the automatic path?

But can you say that about L&L and the other ACOS SysOps?  and while I'm
thinking about it...Didn't I here something about MACOS being a rip off of
ACOS!!  Talk about PIRATING!!
----

greg@hoss.unl.edu (Lig Lury Jr.) (06/02/91)

bbarba@pro-torii.cts.com (Bob Barba) writes:
>greg@hoss.unl.edu (Lig Lury, Jr.) writes:
>>bbarba@pro-torii.cts.com (Bob Barba) writes:

>>Now c'mon, you have to take into account that since they are using ACOS
>>that the majority couldn't afford ProLine, and thus fewer are willing to
>>spend money in long distance bills to connect to all these places.  Age is
>>another consideration.  Who are the lucky nodes putting the bills to send
>>these messages overseas, and have they met Ed McMahan and/or Robin Leach?

>What do you mean, "could not afford Pro-Line"??  Buying direct from any
>manufacturer will be more expensive.  Programs Plus offers Pro-Line for $95.

To get the same functionality and flexibility you get with GBBS "Pro", you
must add MD-BASIC in there, and be using an Apple IIgs, and have invested
in a hard drive.  That drives up the cost.  Stock GBBS "Pro" can run on 2
5.25" disks!  It has its language built in!  It has all this and still can
be run on a FRANKLIN!

I suggest Morgan work on an 8-bit version of MD-BASIC, and quickly.  Then
I may suggest it to the average new sysop.

>Connectivity for Pro-Line is usually local or rigional on the outside.  As
>for me,  I call San Diego nightly! and no I don't know Ed McMahon, or Robin
>Leach.  I happen to be a U.S. Marine.  If I can afford to make these calls
>surly you can too!

I _surely_ can not.  (Anger is not conducive to coherent text.  As George
Carlin would say, "Calm down, have some dip.")  I don't get paid like you
do.  Pro-Line is expensive, and even that price is over the list price for
METAL.  For accurate comparisons, one must compare list price to list
price.  Anything else is unfair, and both sides of this discussion know
it.

>your wrong in
>saying that age is a  consideration, it should be maturity!

Age of the software and network, not age of the sysop.

>(I wonder
>how many  PIRATE GBBS boards are still running? and complaining about
>non-support etc??)

Then they have no cause to be complaining.  I run a registered system.
L&L Support isn't helping that much.  I run my own mailing list for a
reason.

>>>I have also had the BEST support from Morgan Davis (author) and my fellow
>>>Pro-Line Sysops from around the world.  I don't think I could have found a
>>>better home than Pro-Line!!

::[out of context text deleted]

>But can you say that about L&L and the other ACOS SysOps?

L&L?  No.  Other SysOps?  Yes.  I've gotten lots of help from others.  One
of the best things a sysop can do is to teach a cosysop how to write code.
ACOS is very attractive code, and you can edit it online, without being
stuck with line numbers online with ProLine.  You teach him, he learns
more, and then teaches you back, and the learning increases.  I have
innovations in code that I cannot even DREAM of porting to ProLine,
because it would be impossible, and I'm not talking about whiz bang
emulations or mondo downloads.  I'm talking code!  Even translated to
AppleSoft, ProLine structure prevents me from implementing the stuff I
have come to rely on in ACOS.  I don't want to run another clone system.
The form of a BBS represents the sysop's personality.  You don't set up a
system and let it run.  That was the death of the Infiniti BBS here.

>and while I'm
>thinking about it...Didn't I here something about MACOS being a rip off of
>ACOS!!  Talk about PIRATING!!

Hey, I don't support MACOS, and I definitely do NOT run it.  The author
made a fatal error in his distribution methods.  If it was sent as diffs,
I don't see how L&L would have problems with it.  As it was distributed
(as from what I've been able to ascertain) it was still a viable system
without ACOS for local mode, and included documentation, most likely
sufficient to create modem drivers from scratch.  Anyone getting new
copies of MACOS is pirating, even if they own ACOS, since MACOS was
discontinued long ago.  By running MACOS, one forfeits sysop support from
L&L.  While support isn't what it should be, it is there.  If you lose
access, you don't get upgrades.  Lance Taylor-Warren has said this
publically.

>----
>ProLine:  bbarba@pro-torii                         | Pro-Torii (Iwakuni, Japan)
>Internet: bbarba@pro-torii.cts.com                 | 011-81-611-753-4846
>UUCP:     crash!pro-torii!bbarba                   | Hrs: 8pm - 5am Mon-Thr
>Mail: Bob Barba, PO Box 139  FPO Seattle, Wa 98764 |      8pm Fri - 5am Mon

--
///   ____   \\\ "The major problem--one of the major problems, for there are
| |/ /    \ \| |       several--one of the many major problems with governing
 \\_|\____/|_//            people is of whom you get to do it, or more to the
greg \_\\\/ hoss.unl.edu    point, who gets people to let them do it to them."

crew.wicklein@pro-midnightex.cts.com (Chris Wicklein) (06/04/91)

[ Lot's of stuff deleted]

   Why don't we all take our ACOS/MACOS/METAL vs. ProLine momentum, dig up
Merlin 16+, Firmware/Hardware refs, and write our own telecommunications
language for the GS? 8)

   On a (somewhat more) serious note, com'on. ProLine and METAL (my
favorite of the non-ProLine bunch) are very different, and both very nice.
I frequently call ACOS, MACOS, and Pro-Line sites, and are grateful for
both. I eventually would like to have TWO boards at my house, a Pro-Line
site, and a METAL board.
 / Chris Wicklein, ROM 3 Apple IIGS guy.                                     \
|  Internet: crew.wicklein@pro-midnightex.cts.com                             |
|  The Magical Mystery Signature                                              |
 \___________________________________________________________________________/

daveharv@pro-novapple.cts.com (Dave Harvey-SysAdmin) (06/04/91)

Why do ProLine sites use that ugly "In-Reply-To: message from *" stuff?
C'mon, conform! :-)

Well, it's better than having no reference at all to whose message is being
replyed to.  Some systems don't readily allow you to reference what message
the user is commenting on, thereby leaving the reader in the dark as to what
message the comment is related to.

proline: pro-novapple!daveharv                    |
uucp: crash!pnet01!pro-novapple!daveharv          |   Pro-novapple BBS
arpa: crash!pnet01!pro-novapple!daveharv@nosc.mil |  300/1200/2400/9600 Baud
Internet: daveharv@pro-novapple.cts.com           |    703-671-0416

Northern Virginia Apple Users Group               |
P.O. Box 8211, Falls Church, VA 22041             |

shiva@pro-lep.cts.com (Shiva The Destroyer) (06/11/91)

Saying that the ability to run bbs software sans hard drive is a positive
selling point doesn't make sense to me. I can't take a bbs seriously that
only runs on floppies. First, it would be too slow, and second, there
wouldn't be enough to it to make it worth my while to call it.
_____

UUCP: crash!pro-lep!shiva
ARPA: crash!pro-lep!shiva@nosc.mil
INET: shiva@pro-lep.cts.com

greg@hoss.unl.edu (Life...) (06/13/91)

shiva@pro-lep.cts.com (Shiva The Destroyer) writes:

>Saying that the ability to run bbs software sans hard drive is a positive
>selling point doesn't make sense to me.

Why not?  It allows new sysops to run the system on their hardware
configuration.  It increases the target audience of the product,
increasing sales, and making more money.

It isn't like you can run GBBS "Pro" only on 5.25" disks.  It works as
well on hard drives.

>I can't take a bbs seriously that
>only runs on floppies. First, it would be too slow, and second, there
>wouldn't be enough to it to make it worth my while to call it.

Depends on how it is coded, and what it offers.  One former system was
able to configure itself down to (it had more before) three sigs:  The
general sig, The Jukebox (for song lyrics) and a discussion sig for The
Jukebox for non-lyrics.  This system was still popular for this.  It ran
on a Franklin (pre-lawsuit) on 2 5.25" drives.  It was one of my favorite
systems to call.  The sysop now spends more time with MIDI equipment, and
had to sell his system.

Mine runs on 2 800K devices (one of them a RAMdisk).  It runs 9 message
area, has features not available on other systems, and I try my best to
make it meet the desires of the users.  No files, no games; they are not
needed, and I don't like leeches anyway.  I may put up one game, but with
the possiblity of my changing software, I don't have the momentum to code
it right now, when it won't run directly onto a new setup.

>UUCP: crash!pro-lep!shiva
>INET: shiva@pro-lep.cts.com

Oh, and my messages are on the 3.5" disk, and are reformatted to the
reader's screen width before printing.  I don't have any complaints about
the speed here.