[comp.sys.apple2] Apple II software advice needed

ahc@cs.ucla.edu (Andrew Colby) (06/09/91)

My mom just got a hold of an Apple II, I think it's a GS, but I'm not
sure.  Anyway, it does not have a hard disk, and from what I can tell
talking with her over the phone, she does not have any software she
finds usable.  I am looking for information on the following that
can run from floppy only:

- a communications package that will work with a Hayes compatible
  external modem
- a word processor
- some type of graph generating software, she works in a tissue culture
  lab and often needs to generate graphs with logarithmic scales

Any pointers to free- or share-ware will be appreciated.  Also, if my
best bet is to tell her to purchase a commercial package, which ones
are best and how much do they run.

Lastly, she has considered not bothering to learn how to use the
Apple II, but instead to buy either a Mac or a DOS-compatible
machine, since they are both very popular in the lab where she
works.  I don't know how good the selection of software for the
Apple II is, so I don't what to advise her.  Any comments?

Thanks in advance,
--Andrew Colby	ahc@cs.ucla.edu

PKBRANDON@MSUS1.MSUS.EDU (06/10/91)

To do scientific analysis on an AppleIIE, the main problem would be the
need for log scale graphing.  The rest (wordprocessing, data management
and communications could be handled by AppleWorks3.0 with BeagleBros
graph and telecom add-ons.  There was an old AppleII program called
Scientific PlotterII which could handle all sorts of scaling, but it
was slow.  Don't know if it's still available, but I've got a copy of
it someplace.  A better approach might be to use the AppleWorks
spreadsheet to rescale data so that the TimeOut Graph program (BeagleBros)
could do the plotting directly from AppleWorks; TimeOut telecom also works
from within AppleWorks.
Hop;e this helps!
   ---   Paul Brandon    Psychology Dept    Mankato State Univ   ---
   ---    PKBRANDON@MSUS1.MSUS.EDU          Mankato, MN 56001    ---

asong@pro-nbs.cts.com (Andi Song) (06/13/91)

Well, ask her to look on the case of the computer. It's bound to say "IIe"
or "//c" or "IIgs" on it somewhere. And in my opinion, the best software
for what you want isn't GS-specific, so it doesn't matter what she has:

        Telecommunications: ProTERM
        Word Processor: AppleWorks (if she doesn't need all those fancy
features, just a fast, simple, straightforward, bug-free WP. If she DOES
need WYSIWYG and fancy fonts, just get Beagle add-ons.)

        I have a GS, and I use these 8-bit programs extensively. And since
the GS runs at 2.8mhz, the programs run FAST.

        My best advice regarding computers: If she wants to make it really
easy on herself, and she has training already, buy a Mac. It won't be
flashy, but at least there will be compatibility and support wherever you
turn. If she really wants to appreciate a machine that takes love and time,
use a IIe. And if she wants II-compatibility AND great graphics and sound,
and a Mac interface, go for the IIgs.

Hope I helped....

Like my ultra-fancy, all-frills .sig?
----