[comp.sys.apple2] ByteWorks Speech Toolkit

sb@pnet91.cts.com (Stephen Brown) (06/08/91)

Today, I receieved a special purchase offer to get ByteWorks' Speech Toolkit
disk. Does anyone know how this software compares to the speech synthesizer
used in Math Talk and Smooth Talker? My opinion was that the speech from these
programs was, at best, lousy. Now, it could have been the implementation
that was weak rather than the programmer's tools themselves. I have no way of
knowing that...

I'm interested in the Speech Toolkit, but I want to 'see' (or hear) before I
buy.

| Stephen Brown                           Toronto, Canada |
| Internet: sb@pnet91.cts.com      UUCP: utzoo!pnet91!sb  |
| Apple II Forever !!!                                    |
| Like my new .signature. ?    Too bad.                   |

mock@iris.ucdavis.edu (Kenrick J. Mock) (06/09/91)

The Byte Works speech toolkit is IDENTICAL to the First Byte speech
tools.  These are the same tools they used in the Mad-Libs and talking
math programs.   First Byte sold or licensed the tools for Byte Works
to distribute.  The only difference is a new tool has been added, tool
53, so that the speech tools work in GSOS.

    "When you make your mark in the world, watch out for guys with erasers."
      - Wall Street Journal.
GEnie : K.MOCK        Net : mock@iris.ucdavis.edu, mock@alderon.lanl.gov

dzimmerman@gnh-tff.cts.com (Daniel Zimmerman) (06/14/91)

> From: sb@pnet91.cts.com (Stephen Brown)
> Subject: ByteWorks Speech Toolkit
> Date: 8 Jun 91 06:30:04 GMT
>
> Today, I receieved a special purchase offer to get ByteWorks' Speech Toolkit
> disk. Does anyone know how this software compares to the speech synthesizer
> used in Math Talk and Smooth Talker? My opinion was that the speech from
> these programs was, at best, lousy. Now, it could have been the
> implementation that was weak rather than the programmer's tools themselves. I
> have no way of knowing that...
>
> I'm interested in the Speech Toolkit, but I want to 'see' (or hear) before I
> buy.
>
> +---------------------------------------------------------+
> | Stephen Brown                           Toronto, Canada |
> | Internet: sb@pnet91.cts.com      UUCP: utzoo!pnet91!sb  |
> +---------------------------------------------------------+
> | Apple II Forever !!!                                    |
> +---------------------------------------------------------+
> | Like my new .signature. ?    Too bad.                   |
> +---------------------------------------------------------+

As far as I know, the Byte Works' "Talking Tools" are EXACTLY THE SAME as the
old SmoothTalker tools. I believe that Byte Works obtained the license for
them, maybe touched them up a bit, stuck them in a new package and offered
them to us.. They didn't even bother to convert them to User Toolsets (Mike
Westerfield posted on America Online that they were System Toolsets - I
thought System Toolsets had to come from Apple...?).  I don't have them, but I
don't know, after having heard the SmoothTalker tools, if I would pay for
them... (I may, since they are selling it at a big discount for owners of
other ORCA products)..

Daniel M. Zimmerman             InterNet - dzimmerman@gnh-tff.cts.com
  TFF Enterprises       America Online - Surak TFF    CompuServe - 76407,2246

"Learn reason above all. Learn clear thought; learn to know what is from what
seems to be, and what you wish to be. This is the key to everything: the truth
of reality, the reality of truth. What IS will set you free."
                                                        - Surak Of Vulcan