[comp.sys.apple2] apple memory card

gammal@CAM.ORG (Michael Gammal) (06/05/91)

I don't know why this is so, but I have a 1 meg //e apple card made by apple
that states not to plug it into slot 3, and when i load such programs as
proterm...it will not give me more memory than standard.....i find this
strange.... any reason why?

It is in slot 4

--
Michael Gammal		Concordia University    	gammal@Altitude.CAM.ORG

toddpw@nntp-server.caltech.edu (Todd P. Whitesel) (06/06/91)

gammal@CAM.ORG (Michael Gammal) writes:

>I don't know why this is so, but I have a 1 meg //e apple card made by apple
>that states not to plug it into slot 3, and when i load such programs as
>proterm...it will not give me more memory than standard.....i find this
>strange.... any reason why?
>It is in slot 4

It's because ProTERM isn't smart enough to use that card directly. Notice
that you now have a 1 meg RAMdisk called /RAM4 -- ProTERM _will_ recognize
this. Smarter programs (like AppleWorks 3.0) should automatically use your
card as extra memory.

Todd Whitesel
toddpw @ tybalt.caltech.edu

gwyn@smoke.brl.mil (Doug Gwyn) (06/06/91)

In article <1991Jun5.051341.196@CAM.ORG> gammal@CAM.ORG (Michael Gammal) writes:
>I don't know why this is so, but I have a 1 meg //e apple card made by apple
>that states not to plug it into slot 3, and when i load such programs as
>proterm...it will not give me more memory than standard.....i find this
>strange.... any reason why?

Sounds like a "RAM disk emulator", which generally is accessed as ProDOS
volume name /RAM just like a small, fast disk drive.  Access to such a
device is radically different from access to the extended memory card
used in the //e's auxiliary memory slot, which permits expansion up to
128KB (configured as two 64KB address spaces of which only one is
accessible at a time, requiring a call to firmware to switch to the
other address space).  There is no practical way to use the /RAM memory
as "main memory" like the auxiliary memory slot's memory.  Some
applications can use the /RAM memory to hold data, but to do so they must
use different access methods than for main memory; many applications
don't bother.

johnt@meaddata.com (John Townsend) (06/06/91)

In article <1991Jun5.051341.196@CAM.ORG>, gammal@CAM.ORG (Michael Gammal) writes:
|> I don't know why this is so, but I have a 1 meg //e apple card made by apple
|> that states not to plug it into slot 3, and when i load such programs as
|> proterm...it will not give me more memory than standard.....i find this
|> strange.... any reason why?
|>
|> It is in slot 4

I was of the impression that the Apple Memory Expansion Card COULD be plugged
into slot 3 of an Apple //e with an Extended 80-Column Card.  What's the story
on this?

--
John Townsend                     Internet:   johnt@meaddata.com
c/o Mead Data Central             UUCP:       ...!uunet!meaddata!johnt

toddpw@nntp-server.caltech.edu (Todd P. Whitesel) (06/07/91)

johnt@meaddata.com (John Townsend) writes:

>I was of the impression that the Apple Memory Expansion Card COULD be plugged
>into slot 3 of an Apple //e with an Extended 80-Column Card.  What's the story
>on this?

Well, you could access the card, but you wouldn't be able to use both the
card's firmware and the //e's 80 column firmware. Most programs (including the
ProDOS kernel) would insist on using one or the other, but not both). So Apple
saves you a compatibility headache by just telling you not to do it.

Todd Whitesel
toddpw @ tybalt.caltech.edu

dzimmerman@gnh-tff.cts.com (Daniel Zimmerman) (06/07/91)

> From: gammal@CAM.ORG (Michael Gammal)
> Subject: apple memory card
> Date: 5 Jun 91 05:13:41 GMT
> Size: 10 lines (736 bytes)
>
> I don't know why this is so, but I have a 1 meg //e apple card made by apple
> that states not to plug it into slot 3, and when i load such programs as
> proterm...it will not give me more memory than standard.....i find this
> strange.... any reason why?
>
> It is in slot 4
>

> --
> Michael Gammal		Concordia University    	gammal@Altitude.CAM.ORG

If you are using an old version of ProTERM (or any other program) which was
made before the Memory Expansion Card was released by Apple, it almost
definitely won't take advantage of the Memory Expansion Card... I'm pretty
sure ProTERM 2.2 will use it though - call InSync and find out...

Daniel M. Zimmerman             InterNet - dzimmerman@gnh-tff.cts.com
  TFF Enterprises       America Online - Surak TFF    CompuServe - 76407,2246

"Learn reason above all. Learn clear thought; learn to know what is from what
seems to be, and what you wish to be. This is the key to everything: the truth
of reality, the reality of truth. What IS will set you free."
                                                        - Surak Of Vulcan

warren.e@pro-beagle.cts.com (Warren Ernst) (06/08/91)

In his letter, John Townsend includes:

|> I don't know why this is so, but I have a 1 meg //e apple card made by
apple
|> that states not to plug it into slot 3, and when i load such programs as
|> proterm...it will not give me more memory than standard.....i find this
|> strange.... any reason why?
|>
|> It is in slot 4

I was of the impression that the Apple Memory Expansion Card COULD be
plugged
into slot 3 of an Apple //e with an Extended 80-Column Card.  What's the
story
on this?
The Apple Memory card, like the RamFactor from AE, is like any other card
you might hace like a super serial or disk II or somewthing in that it cant
be plugged into slot 3. This is because slot 3 is special, and mapped into
Aux. Slot where your 80 column card is. It has to do with how older Apple
// +'s had funky 80 col cards there and the //e is supposed to be
compatible with it.

So, to sum up, almost no card you can buy can be plugged into slot 3, and
Apple's RAM card falls into this category. Ones that do work there are
Transwarp, the slot 3 clock, and that's about it.

-Warr
/===============================++========================================\
| Warren Ernst                  || & This is called an ampersand.         |
|  warren.e@pro-Beagle.cts.com  || @ This is called an at sign.           |
|  wernst@ucsd.edu              || * This is called an asterisk.          |
|                     GEnie too || ] This is called a square bracket.     |
+-------------------------------+| ) This is called a parenthesis.        |
|1HOME:INVERSE2X=RND(1)*24+1:VTA|| # This is called a pound sign.         |
|BX:HTABX:?X;:HTAB26-X:?X;:GOTO2|| ^ This is called a little pointy thing.|
\===============================++========================================/

glennl@pro-avalon.cts.com (Glenn Levine) (06/09/91)

try putting your memory card in the auxilary slot, it works with my 1 meg
memory card, and proterm and appleworks finds the card

-- glennl@pro-avalon

UUCP: crash!pro-avalon!glennl                | pro-avalon
ARPA: crash!pro-avalon!glennl@nosc.mil       | 619/299-1449, 2400, 81N
INET: glennl@pro-avalon.cts.com              | San Diego, CA

geniusman@pro-hindugods.cts.com (Chris Moylan) (06/10/91)

>try putting your memory card in the auxilary slot, it works with my 1 meg
>memory card, and proterm and appleworks finds the card
>
>-- glennl@pro-avalon

Also, if you already have a card in the AUX slot, you can remove it, as the
new card should have all the same features as the resident one.

>UUCP: crash!pro-avalon!glennl                | pro-avalon
>ARPA: crash!pro-avalon!glennl@nosc.mil       | 619/299-1449, 2400, 81N
>INET: glennl@pro-avalon.cts.com              | San Diego, CA

Chris

Chris Moylan                    | ProLine: geniusman@pro-hindugods
CoSysop: Hindu Love Gods BBS    | Internet: geniusman@pro-hindugods.cts.com
313/644-0481                    | UUCP: crash!pro-hindugods!geniusman
300-9600 bps, v.32/v.42/v.42bis | ARPA: crash!pro-hindugods!geniusman@nosc.mil

warren.e@pro-beagle.cts.com (Warren Ernst) (06/10/91)

glennl writes of putting a slinky RAM card and ProTErm:

try putting your memory card in the auxilary slot, it works with my 1 meg
memory card, and proterm and appleworks finds the card

-- glennl@pro-avalon

To which I respond, with arms waving madly and spit on my screen: DO NOT DO
THIS!!! THIS WILL NOT WORK AND WILL MOST LIKELY SHORT OUT THE MEMORY CARD
AND THE COMPUTER ITSELF, a situation much worse than a small scrollback and
copy buffer.
/===============================++========================================\

johnt@meaddata.com (John Townsend) (06/10/91)

In article <1991Jun6.214717.5850@nntp-server.caltech.edu>, toddpw@nntp-server.caltech.edu (Todd P. Whitesel) writes:

|> johnt@meaddata.com (John Townsend) writes:
|>
|> >I was of the impression that the Apple Memory Expansion Card COULD be
|> >plugged into slot 3 of an Apple //e with an Extended 80-Column Card.
|> >What's the story on this?
|>
|> Well, you could access the card, but you wouldn't be able to use both the
|> card's firmware and the //e's 80 column firmware. Most programs (including
|> the ProDOS kernel) would insist on using one or the other, but not both).
|> So Apple saves you a compatibility headache by just telling you not to do
|> it.

Ah, but I thought that memory cards, like CP/M cards, don't have any firmware,
and thus would not collide with the 80-column firmware.  Is the Apple Memory
Expansion Card an exception?  What about the AE RAMFactor card and other
slot 1-7 memory cards?  This question interests me because I have a //e whose
auxiliary slot is inhabited by a Microsoft Premium Softcard //e (80-col + 64K +
Z80).  The only slot I have which might be available for memory expansion
(e.g. for AW 3.0 and as a ProDOS RAM disk) is slot 3.  Thanks for any info!

--

mcl9337@harpo.tamu.edu (LOWE, MARK CHRISTOPHER) (06/11/91)

In article <4769@meaddata.meaddata.com>, johnt@meaddata.com (John Townsend) writes...
>Ah, but I thought that memory cards, like CP/M cards, don't have any firmware,
>and thus would not collide with the 80-column firmware.  Is the Apple Memory
>Expansion Card an exception?  What about the AE RAMFactor card and other
>slot 1-7 memory cards?  This question interests me because I have a //e whose
>auxiliary slot is inhabited by a Microsoft Premium Softcard //e (80-col + 64K +
>Z80).  The only slot I have which might be available for memory expansion
>(e.g. for AW 3.0 and as a ProDOS RAM disk) is slot 3.  Thanks for any info!

Apple's memory card DOES contain firmware.  It's got some self-test routines on
there as well as a lot of other stuff I won't attempt to detail.

Anyway, you can test the memory on the card by entering the monitor and typing

     *Cx0AG

     x=slot number - like you didn't know that!

The card automatically detects the amount of RAM installed and proceeds to test
the memory in an infinite loop until a key is pressed.  Very handy if you aren't
sure your memory is working right.

The card is read/written via a single location in the slot I/O address space.
It utilizes an auto-incrementing three-byte counter ALSO in the slot I/O space.

I have had and used this board since about 1985.  If anyone wants more specific
info, I'll provide it.

Mark C. "Bro!" Lowe - KB5III

Sir Briggs

toddpw@nntp-server.caltech.edu (Todd P. Whitesel) (06/11/91)

johnt@meaddata.com (John Townsend) writes:

>Ah, but I thought that memory cards, like CP/M cards, don't have any firmware,
>and thus would not collide with the 80-column firmware.  Is the Apple Memory
>Expansion Card an exception?  What about the AE RAMFactor card and other
>slot 1-7 memory cards?

Not all memory cards are alike. Cards that go in the //e auxiliary slot, the
//gs memory slot, or the ancient ones that go in slots 1-7 but operate as
bank-switched RAM, do not have firmware on the cards. Two of these have their
own special slots, and don't conflict with slots 1-7; the BSR cards can be put
in any slot and will work if your software supports them (don't try to put them
in a GS unless you know what you're doing, however).

"Slinky" cards like the Apple Memory Expansion and the RamFactor are a totally
different beast. These use a single byte 'window' into the memory space, and
as such make extremely reliable RAMdisks (they don't get toasted when you
reboot and they are not easy to corrupt accidentally). These all have firmware
of their own so ProDOS will recognize them as disks and know how to use them --
so you don't want these in slot 3. These cards also MUST NOT be plugged into
other slots (somebody managed to suggest this earlier) unless you want to risk
the possibility of frying something.

Todd Whitesel
toddpw @ tybalt.caltech.edu

johnt@meaddata.com (John Townsend) (06/14/91)

In article <1991Jun10.044122.7374@clark.edu>, geniusman@pro-hindugods.cts.com (Chris Moylan) writes:

|> >try putting your memory card in the auxilary slot, it works with my 1 meg
|> >memory card, and proterm and appleworks finds the card
|>
|> Also, if you already have a card in the AUX slot, you can remove it, as the
|> new card should have all the same features as the resident one.

Come on, people.  If there's anything worse than no information, it's
misinformation.  The Apple Memory Expansion card doesn't fit in the AUX slot
of the Apple //e.  It only fits in slots 1-7 of the II/II+/IIe/IIgs.  And
besides, last I checked, the Apple Memory Expansion Card didn't have a 3 MHz
Z80 on it, like the card presently resident in my AUX slot.  The question --
again -- is why won't it work in slot 3?  I wasn't aware that the AME card,
or any other slot 1-7 memory card, had firmware that would collide with the
//e 80-column firmware if you put it in slot 3.