[comp.sys.apple2] Diagnostics disks

In article <e7iX31w164w@lablues.UUCP> larry@lablues.UUCP (Lawrance A. Schneider) writes:
>     I gave a demonstration of "Managing Your Money" to SMAUG (?)
>in southern Maine.  Someone there was giving out the disk.  The
>leader of the group is a straight i.e. honest, fellow so I
>assumed that the disk is legal.  It will test every Apple I have:
>from a IIe/c to my ROM 3.  Unless I hear otherwise from one of
>the people whose signature indicates that they work for I DON'T
>CARE; I DON'T HAVE TO - I'M APPLE COMPUTER Inc., I'll send you a
>copy.  Send me a 3.5 disk and a stamped return mailer; WAIT TWO
>WEEKS, so that I can hear whether it is not legal from one of
>those same fellows.

It would seem to be safer to assume that it's not allowed and wait for
permission.

Anyway, it's not allowed, at least not if it's Apple's diagnostics disk (which
I bet it is -- version 3.0, uses filecard interface, runs from P8, etc.).
Apple does not allow distribution of these diagnostic disks to other than
authorized service providers without a complicated licensing agreement.
User groups and the general public should not have these disks, and shouldn't
be distributing them if they do.

(Diagnostics software is imperfect -- it can often report no error when
something is in fact incorrect.  It's useful as a tool to someone who knows
how to repair the machine, but it's not a stand-alone tool of value to
users who aren't very sophisticated.)

Matt Deatherage, Developer Technical  | The opinions expressed herein are
Support, Apple Computer, Inc.         | not those of Apple Computer, and
Personal mail only, please.  Thanks.  | shame on you for thinking otherwise.
^^^^^^^^ Technical questions are not personal. Please post them instead.

a.guillaume@trl.oz.au (Andrew Guillaume) (06/11/91)

In article <53691@apple.Apple.COM>, mattd@Apple.COM (Matt Deatherage) writes:
> (Diagnostics software is imperfect -- it can often report no error when
> something is in fact incorrect.  It's useful as a tool to someone who knows
> how to repair the machine, but it's not a stand-alone tool of value to
> users who aren't very sophisticated.)

On a similar subject, could anyone out there comment on any diagnostics
programs for the //'s (I'm particularly interested in anything for the 8-bit
//'s as I have a //c). I have heard of Master Diagnostics from Nikrom, but
have no clue as to whether it's worth it or not. Matt's comment on the
imperfection of diagnostics software may be valid, but I'm convinced that
any diagnostics software would be helpful, especially when you have an
extinct brand of computer, the //c :-)

Andrew Guillaume

Internet : a.guillaume@trl.oz.au

warren.e@pro-beagle.cts.com (Warren Ernst) (06/14/91)

I have master Diagnostic's //e and I think its worth it. While it couldn't
DIRECTLY tell me what was wrong with my machine a couple of years ago,
between it and the SAM's //e book, I was up and running again in no time.

-Warr
/===============================++========================================\
| Warren Ernst                  || & This is called an ampersand.         |
|  warren.e@pro-Beagle.cts.com  || @ This is called an at sign.           |
|  wernst@ucsd.edu              || * This is called an asterisk.          |
|                     GEnie too || ] This is called a square bracket.     |
+-------------------------------+| ) This is called a parenthesis.        |
|1HOME:INVERSE2X=RND(1)*24+1:VTA|| # This is called a pound sign.         |
|BX:HTABX:?X;:HTAB26-X:?X;:GOTO2|| ^ This is called a little pointy thing.|

tomk@pro-sol.cts.com (Tom Kelly) (06/16/91)

There is a ShareWare disk called YoYo Duck that does diagnostics.
It was mentioned in the ShareWare article of the June 1991 issue of
inCider (page 37).    The shareware fee due to the author is $5.00.
For more info read the article and send me E-Mail.
 UUCP: crash!pro-grouch!tomk      ARPA: crash!pro-grouch!tomk@nosc.mil
 INET: tomk@pro-grouch.cts.com