[comp.sys.apple2] GS Ram

carndt@NIKE.CALPOLY.EDU (Chris Arndt) (06/14/91)

How much memory can be plugged into the GS memory slot?

If it's more than 4 meg, does anyone make a device to
share the slot between 2 cards, ala the late RAM keeper?

I just ordered a 4 meg card, but I sure would like to
keep and use my 1.5 meg card. (I have an Appleworks GS
spread sheet that is banging hard against the 1.5 meg. I
removed all of the DAs except the control panel, too.)

Thanks,

Chris

gwyn@smoke.brl.mil (Doug Gwyn) (06/15/91)

In article <9106140059.AA1145494@nike.calpoly.edu> carndt@NIKE.CALPOLY.EDU (Chris Arndt) writes:
>How much memory can be plugged into the GS memory slot?

Apple's IIGS hardware ref. manual claims that a total of 4MB of RAM is
supported.  However, some of us have 8MB which is the maximum possible
without rewiring the computer.  The top 4MB of an 8MB configuration is
not likely to be DMA compatible, but fortunately Apple's High-Speed
SCSI card takes this into account.

carndt@NIKE.CALPOLY.EDU (Chris Arndt) (06/16/91)

OK, how did you get 8 Megs??

carndt@NIKE.CALPOLY.EDU (Chris Arndt) (06/16/91)

OK, How do you get 8 megs??

gwyn@smoke.brl.mil (Doug Gwyn) (06/16/91)

In article <9106151706.AA1157477@nike.calpoly.edu>, carndt@NIKE.CALPOLY.EDU (Chris Arndt) writes:
> OK, how did you get 8 Megs??

I assume you're asking me?  (There were no cross references in your posting.)

MDIdeas' OctoRAM supports 8MB in the form of 8 1Mx8 SIMMs.  It can be
configured with 1, 2, 4, or 8 each of either 256Kx8 or 1Mx8 SIMMs.
The 1-, 2-, and 4-SIMM configurations are DMA compatible, and the 8MB
configuration is usable with DMA devices so long as no attempt is made
to use DMA with the top 4MB.  Apple's High-Speed SCSI Card understands
this, and avoids using DMA for transfers to/from the top 4MB,
presumably because its developer MattG has an 8MB OctoRAM and
therefore cared about this matter.  MDIdeas seems to have gone out of
business, but one can occasionally find some of their products still
in stock at various computer outlets.

Harris's "GS Sauce" memory expansion card also uses SIMMs, but I think
it is limited to a maximum of 4MB.

jasonp@oakhill.sps.mot.com (Jason Perez) (06/17/91)

In article <16421@smoke.brl.mil> gwyn@smoke.brl.mil (Doug Gwyn) writes:
>In article <9106151706.AA1157477@nike.calpoly.edu>, carndt@NIKE.CALPOLY.EDU (Chris Arndt) writes:
>> OK, how did you get 8 Megs??
>
>I assume you're asking me?  (There were no cross references in your posting.)
>
>MDIdeas' OctoRAM supports 8MB in the form of 8 1Mx8 SIMMs.  It can be
>configured with 1, 2, 4, or 8 each of either 256Kx8 or 1Mx8 SIMMs.
>
>Harris's "GS Sauce" memory expansion card also uses SIMMs, but I think
>it is limited to a maximum of 4MB.

AE's GS-RAM+ can be exaned to 6Mb using 1Mx1 DRAM's, and you can add
another 2Mb to it w/ an add-on connector.

--
Jason Perez
Hi-End Design